cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose credit card portfolio is complete?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Whose credit card portfolio is complete?

@CreditScholar wrote:

My portfolio is complete and has been for some time.

The following are part of my permanent collection:

Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature

Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature

Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard

Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature

J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature

I picked up the Amex Plat and Barclay's AA cards for the signup bonuses. I'm not sure if I'll keep either of them in the long run or not yet.

How would you rate the benefits of the IHG card relative to your other hotel cards?

Message 41 of 65
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

At this point...yes. I am happy with my line up. Smiley Happy 

Way to go on a 10k Quicksilver!!!

Message 42 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I picked up the Amex Plat and Barclay's AA cards for the signup bonuses. I'm not sure if I'll keep either of them in the long run or not yet.

How would you rate the benefits of the IHG card relative to your other hotel cards?

LOL! Hey now, be nice! Hahahaha. Maybe they have inlaws in iowa or something!

Message 43 of 65
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Originally I just obtained the card for the signup bonus.

In terms of hotel status, Platinum doesn't get that much in the US. Asia on the other hand, is a different story. I've put in about 20 nights with IHG this year, and I've been upgraded multiple times by being Plat. If you stay at IHG properties at all, the 50% bonus is nice but nothing Earth-shattering.

However the on-going benefits make the card worth keeping for me. A 10% points rebate plus 1 free night each year is more than a fair trade for a $49 AF.

If you are renewing your Ambassador status and choose the $200 option (with the 10% points rebate), you can stack the rebates (10% AMB + 10% from CC). Essentially you can get 20% back for any points you redeem, and given how easy they are to come by it's not a bad deal if you just want to earn and burn.

They also have some decent values such as 35k points for the 2 ICs in Seoul (COEX and Parnas). With a 20% rebate it would be 28k per night.

It has horrible earning rates though, so I wouldn't bother putting any spend on it other for than IHG hotels.

Instead of asking "why should I keep the card?", I think the better question is "why not?"

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 44 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel pretty complete, until some hot spend bonuses that I am eligible for and would make use of show up.
Message 45 of 65
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

LOL! Hey now, be nice! Hahahaha. Maybe they have inlaws in iowa or something!

Hey I really liked Iowa the last time I visited! Granted that was awhile ago, but it didn't seem THAT bad.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 46 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

In terms of hotel status, Platinum doesn't get that much in the US. Asia on the other hand, is a different story. I've put in about 20 nights with IHG this year, and I've been upgraded multiple times by being Plat. If you stay at IHG properties at all, the 50% bonus is nice but nothing Earth-shattering.

However the on-going benefits make the card worth keeping for me. A 10% points rebate plus 1 free night each year is more than a fair trade for a $49 AF.

If you are renewing your Ambassador status and choose the $200 option (with the 10% points rebate), you can stack the rebates (10% AMB + 10% from CC). Essentially you can get 20% back for any points you redeem, and given how easy they are to come by it's not a bad deal if you just want to earn and burn.

They also have some decent values such as 35k points for the 2 ICs in Seoul (COEX and Parnas). With a 20% rebate it would be 28k per night.

It has horrible earning rates though, so I wouldn't bother putting any spend on it other for than IHG hotels.

Instead of asking "why should I keep the card?", I think the better question is "why not?"

Thanks, this is helpul.  

I was considering one more Chase card in the future, and this is one of the few where I haven't gotten in the past.  If they have good values in Asia, I'd likely find it useful. What's the highest bonus you've seen offered for this card?

Message 47 of 65
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Thanks, this is helpul.  

I was considering one more Chase card in the future, and this is one of the few where I haven't gotten in the past.  If they have good values in Asia, I'd likely find it useful. What's the highest bonus you've seen offered for this card?

Highest I've seen is 80k, AF waived the first year. That's the one I got.

Previously there were offers floating around for 70k. Standard offer is 60k I think.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 48 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Thanks, this is helpul.  

Highest I've seen is 80k, AF waived the first year. That's the one I got.

Previously there were offers floating around for 70k. Standard offer is 60k I think.

dont forget about the $50 credit.

Message 49 of 65
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You guys have heard about netspend, I'm sure. Heck, I received one in the mail and I didn't even ask for one!  But I just discovered their Premier version offers a 5% APY  (4.91% technically) on amounts up to $5k. You can have up to 5 cards in your name.  Is this a legit thing? Minimum requirement is a 500 direct deposit monthly.

If it is legit, THAT would make my port' complete.

NetSpend looks like a prepaid card. You pay $5 per month for the privlege of being able to spend your $500 direct deposit in a sign or PIN transaction.

If you don't have the direct deposit, you pay $9.95 per month for the ability to spend.

If you do the Pay As You Go option, you pay $1 or $2 for each transaction to get your money out of the prepaid card. Swipe your card as a PIN transaction for a coffee, and the $2.50 coffee gets a $2 fee tacked on for the transaction.

I'm not sure where you are seeing the 5% APR borrowing, it seems they have overdraft protection that can provide $100 to you for the low cost of $45 per month, from some old articles about this.

Is it a payday lender in disguise?

NetSpend Fees.JPG

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.