cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose credit card portfolio is complete?

tag
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Re: Whose credit card portfolio is complete?

My portfolio is complete to the extent that I have all of the cards that meet my spending/rewards needs and that my current credit profile supports.  I am however in the process of slowly but surely closing cards, and hope to combine some cards in the next year or so.  

Once my last baddie falls off, next March/April, I will continue to garden for hopefully another 6 months or so and then probably go ahead and app for CSP and perhaps Marriott to go onlong with my Freedom...as I will be hoarding the points I'm currently earnning until then.

Unless of course AMEX removes me from their blacklistSmiley Wink  As an aside I don't blame them for having me on their blacklist.  So I'm good.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 11 of 65
UncleB
Credit Mentor

It feels a bit strange for me that this time last year, I only had one major credit card (QS1) and now just 12 months later I can say I honestly have everything I need, at least at this time. 

All of my purchases are covered by a card with nice rewards except for Wal-Mart and the place that cuts my hair, both of which I just use a Quicksilver.  I know my card collection is tiny compared to some folks on here, but my spending is also likely just a fraction of many folks as well, so I guess it's all relative.  Smiley Wink

In the future, if I have a purchase to make at a store that's offering a 0% APR promotion if you use their card I'll probably get it, but until then I'm good.  If and when that time does come, I'll also know I should be in a pretty good position for an approval (especially if it's with Synchrony... they seem to love me these days...LOL).

Message 12 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm waiting until December to apply for Amex BCE or ED. At some point I will PC my Cap1 Platinum to QS and Venture or just app for those since I'm prequalified already.

Hopefully my fiance will get in NFCU through his roommate and I'll get in through him next year after we are married and app for a Visa with them.

Message 13 of 65
Callandra
Valued Contributor

At this point...yes. I am happy with my line up. Smiley Happy 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 14 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is way more complete now than it was a year ago for sure. A year ago I was using a $500 credit one, and just approved for a $2k commerce bank visa.  But yes, aside from a random bonus now and again, and a low APR credit union card.... I think I'm good.  Possibly will expand bonus into Citi TYP next year. Still want the elusive ebates. Sams club MC conversion....and well...marrying someone with a citi forward (lol).

And is it just me, or am I the only one that dislikes calling my collection of credit cards a portfolio? I mean, I guess the term is not totally incorrect. But it sounds a little too much like glorifying or gloating.

Message 15 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

At this point...yes. I am happy with my line up. Smiley Happy 

This. 

At this point, yes. 

I don't have any airline cards and may go for one down the line, but it'll depend where we're at with MR. 

I've got Ritz and Hyatt. But I could see either adding or switching out hotel cards at some point. 

I've recently switched over to (mostly) MR from cash back. I'll do my best to keep my nice CLs on DC and BCE around in case I decide to switch back. 

And I wouldn't count out switching to TYP down the line as Prestige intrigues me. Though there are things about Citi that bugs me, so I'd need something REALLY compelling. 

Message 16 of 65
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine is way more complete now than it was a year ago for sure. A year ago I was using a $500 credit one, and just approved for a $2k commerce bank visa.  But yes, aside from a random bonus now and again, and a low APR credit union card.... I think I'm good.  Possibly will expand bonus into Citi TYP next year. Still want the elusive ebates. Sams club MC conversion....and well...marrying someone with a citi forward (lol).

And is it just me, or am I the only one that dislikes calling my collection of credit cards a portfolio? I mean, I guess the term is not totally incorrect. But it sounds a little too much like glorifying or gloating.

LOL, I had never thought of it like that, but you're right!  Smiley Very Happy

When I think of a "portfolio", I think of assets, like stocks, bonds, etc.  While credit cards are literally the opposite of 'assets', I guess folks like to think of them as 'accomplishments', so to speak, and in that sense, I guess it's OK to think of our credit card collection as being our 'portfolio', since for many of us (myself included) getting some of my cards (in a few cases, getting them back) does feel like quite the accomplishment.

It does seem odd 'rolling off the tongue', though!  Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL, I had never thought of it like that, but you're right!  Smiley Very Happy

When I think of a "portfolio", I think of assets, like stocks, bonds, etc.  While credit cards are literally the opposite of 'assets', I guess folks like to think of them as 'accomplishments', so to speak, and in that sense, I guess it's OK to think of our credit card collection as being our 'portfolio', since for many of us (myself included) getting some of my cards (in a few cases, getting them back) does feel like quite the accomplishment.

It does seem odd 'rolling off the tongue', though!  Smiley Tongue

Haha. Glad I made ya laugh!  I am proud of our cards for sure, for sure. They are totally 100% accomplishments.  But yeah, I wasn't even thinking that exactly, but you hit the nail on the head!  U ready for Nov 28th??? Better get your AU cards ordered! Small Business Saturday is just around the corner!

Message 18 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think portfolio is quite right, card collection seems better to me. Smiley Very Happy But not a big deal.
Message 19 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think of it as a "lineup", like a sports team, that works together to get me some of my money back. And like athletes they cost money so I have to be sure they are pulling their weight.

I would like an EDP and an Ink+ but that's pretty deep into min/max territory at this point. Otherwise I think I'm done and will likely close a handful next calendar year.

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.