Did you mean: 

Why Amex BCE or BCP?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Amex BCE or BCP?

@ForumPheen wrote:

Why Amex BCE or BCP?

That's determined by the individual for any card -- not just the BCE or BCP.  Don't rely on finding comparisons for every permutation of card pairing out there.  You have to look at the info on the cards and each creditor's site is just one resource among many that you can use to do this.  For rewards cards make sure you run the numbers for your spend.  The BCE and BCP are both  cash back cards so the math is very easy -- spend x %.  BCE provides less rewards on our spend.  In fact, we use 2 BCP's for our grocery spend because of the cap.

@ForumPheen wrote:

Amex's FICO score view shows my last SP at 724 in Nov, but my score dropped from 737 to 724 to 708 after PIF all cards in just 7 days. My concern is that if I wait until end of year to app, my SP will reflect 708 and doesn't update until Jan.

You'll incur an HP on a new card app.

@ForumPheen wrote:

I keep seeing CSP offers

How is this relevant to the BCE or BCP?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just throw out there: Have you considered EDP? 

I had BCP, and was using it only for groceries, was using other cards for other niche cashback categories. When we decided we'd have some travel coming up, we decided to switch to maximizing MR instead of cashback AND use it as a time to simplify which card DH would have to use. DH got the Plat. I got the PRG and the EDP (he's AU only on EDP). And we've switched to the EDP as his default card except in a few circumstances, and my non-cat card. 

I don't know if it will always make sense for us, but the 4.5% MR in groceries is close enough to the 6% cash back that I'm happy. And 1.5% MR non-cat spend spend is easier than DC. The lower % with MR vs. cashback should change with the right redemption. But even if we ended up only getting 4.5% and 1.5%, the ease is worth it. 

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you mentioned travel and your Plat. (Have downgraded my BCP to BCE. Now it's just an extra util pad and place to run more Amex offers.) 

ETA: I didn't go back to read, but you mentioned wanting a CSP. Just want to make sure you're factoring the 5/24 chase rule into your plans. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did not mean declined. I do not have a BCP, denied twice this year. I'll try again soon.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did not mean declined. I do not have a BCP, denied twice this year. I'll try again soon.

Oh, I see! Sorry I misunderstood you.

Message 14 of 16
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Grocery spend is that of a family of 8, so the best grocert rewards wins.

TortoiseWins, I have never loked at ED and will take a closer look. Not savvy enough to maximize benefits like you have though.

In the meantime, I'll see what the mailman brings this way after the new year to get a feel for what Amex wants to do with all their TE holders. Hard to not hit the button, but I will do my very best for now. 

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@ForumPheen wrote:

I keep seeing CSP offers

How is this relevant to the BCE or BCP?

OP has a number of plans for the near future:

Decide on BCE vs BCP

Get the CSP for travel usage, but not immediately

Find a new place to live.

OP: With AMEX, it doesn't really matter when you get a card what the CL or APR are. Both of those can be changed over time.

And for a lease? I would not think that the FICO score means a whole lot. As long as you are paying bills recently, you should be fine with the lease app.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.