Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Discover? Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Discover? Why?

So I applied in February for Discover and got denied and offered to find someone for Joint acc, I refused.
Today my roommate got in mail pre approval letter with invitation number, and he applied and got same answer as me, only joint acc.
So we decided to get joint acc together, but Discover said No??
Long story short is there anything we can do so they may recon or that's final decision?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Discover? Why?

Hahaha -- I think they intended on you both getting a joint account with someone who has better credit. Smiley Happy

Word is, Discover doesn't recon.

Sorry! I know how disappointing that is...

Message 2 of 8
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied in February for Discover and got denied and offered to find someone for Joint acc, I refused.
Today my roommate got in mail pre approval letter with invitation number, and he applied and got same answer as me, only joint acc.
Long story short is there anything we can do so they may recon or that's final decision?

Theres a few stories about reconning via EO, but otherwise reconning is basically not a possibilty. Try the EO its worth a shot.

As for the joint account, if both of you got that message it means neither of your credit is sufficient enough to qualify. You would need someone with good enough credit to join you in the account whihc would also make them liable for repaying the debt.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try EO tell them that you want a secured version of the card. Min of 200 deposit is needed, but you'll get your foot in the door and when a year rolls around they'll credit it back to you. You still will receive all the benefits of the unsecured card.
Message 4 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well you hear a lot of try EO. but its not a magic bullet. as others stated. it is meant for you and someone else. llike your parents. in any case it does not hurt. but as stated. Disco is not a good recon lender. just wait for scores to get better or address whatever they tell you in the letter. good luck.

Message 5 of 8
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover typically won't recon. The reason for this is because when someone applies and they can't approve them for the requested product but they can approve them for something else they will come back with that offer. For example if they can't approve someone for an It card but can approve them for the secured It card or in your case, a joint card.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recon with them is basically useless in my experience.  I've tried twice now on CLI stuff and got a generic script read that they can't do anything the computer doesn't say to do basically

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover employee here -- don't bother with recon.  Really don't bother with the Executive Office, because I work at Discover HQ and still don't know what Executive Office means.  Are you contacting Jim Panzarino?  Good luck with that!

Seriously, though, Discover is being incredibly generous with CLIs these days, so if the answer is no, it's really, really no.  Don't bother trying to figure out why, I've done that and our analysts have been very well trained against "social engineering" ... they will stick to the script even if you're sitting six desks away.

Over the past 3 months, I've received CLIs on my four other credit cards, but not Discover.  Their SkyNet doesn't like me ... maybe it knows me too well.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.