Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does Chase Hate Me??

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Why Does Chase Hate Me??

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I don't know, but they hate me, too.  The only card I have is one that was a WaMu card before Chase got it.   I've never done a thing wrong with Chase.  In fact, I do everything right, and keep my card paid off every month.  My scores have gone nowhere but up.  They soft-pull my reports every month and never give me anything - no CLI from the wacky $3,788 that it is (It was $4,000 and I charged $800 at the dentist once and they dropped me down) and no reduction in the 23% APR I have.  No ability to transfer balances (not that I would want to at that APR.

Same here.  I have 3 cards with them right now, 2 of which date back to 2007 and 2008.  I have always paid on time, I use them frequently.  Not once have I had a CLI or an interest rate reduction (and, frankly, my interest rates with them kind of suck).  Only one of my cards ever offers balance transfers.  And when I called them the other day to get some baseline info, the CSR sounded like I had kicked her dog and insulted her mama.

On the up side, I've never had any issues with them either - *knocks on wood* - and they're pretty good about being on the lookout for potential fraud.   And the rewards aren't half bad...

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 33
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I might step on a few deluded toes with this, but ........

Look at what the banking industry has done over the last couple of decades, they're a business yes, but  a rather crooked business. They will push things just past the line of rules and regulation to make better profits, coming up with phony products to sell that are worthless to cover what they've loaned, cause our economy to nose dive then once the threat of the whip is raised, do an about face which disrupts things even more. That is the part I have the biggest problem with when it comes to big banks frankly.

I don't recall mentioning we wanted a CLI from Chase, or a lower rate.......   We do business with them, but also realize what we're doing business with and have no intentions of dumping the card we still carry with them (the last one we closed was the siggy that had a higher rate). Somehow I think a few might have missed that. We're in business, we've never been in a CROOKED or unethical business. Somehow, some of us still understand the difference.

I wasn't just stating an opinion or experience, I was stating a fact.

Really CS, did you even read my post and comprehend it? If so I doubt you would have brought out the "snooty card" so quick.   That's really not like you at all. Smiley Surprised With all due respect, please don't insult ethical people and businesses by lumping big banks in with us, we don't own any politicians and we don't Mod Cut the American consumer until some authority yells at us to stop. Smiley Frustrated

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 12 of 33
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Look at what the banking industry has done over the last couple of decades, they're a business yes, but  a rather crooked business. They will push things just past the line of rules and regulation to make better profits, coming up with phony products to sell that are worthless to cover what they've loaned, cause our economy to nose dive then once the threat of the whip is raised, do an about face which disrupts things even more. That is the part I have the biggest problem with when it comes to big banks frankly.

I don't recall mentioning we wanted a CLI from Chase, or a lower rate.......   We do business with them, but also realize what we're doing business with and have no intentions of dumping the card we still carry with them (the last one we closed was the siggy that had a higher rate). Somehow I think a few might have missed that. We're in business, we've never been in a CROOKED or unethical business. Somehow, some of us still understand the difference.

Really CS, did you even read my post and comprehend it? If so I doubt you would have brought out the "snooty card" so quick.   That's really not like you at all. Smiley Surprised With all due respect, please don't insult ethical people and businesses by lumping big banks in with us, we don't own any politicians and we don't Mod Cut the American consumer until some authority yells at us to stop. Smiley Frustrated

Oh I understood what you said alright, I just didn't agree with it. The comments regarding CLIs and APRs weren't referring to you, but instead to others on this post with the common viewpoint that they don't like Chase. Everything I write isn't all about you. However, the next part is.

Business is business, and the only boundaries of business are economics, the law and what the law can actually prove. If you prefer to impose additional boundaries on your own business, then that's your perogative. Don't expect all other businesses to do the same. They aren't required to and therefore they haven't. Moral and ethical arguments in business are losing ones. If you have a problem with how they conduct their business, blame the legal system. Banks are doing what they're allowed to do given the current rules/setup, and like any other individual they are innocent until proven guilty. If the system hasn't been able to prove them guilty, then you might want to take a harder look at the flaws in our laws and our courts first.

If you disagree with how they conduct themselves, you have two options: continue to do business with them or walk.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

lolabelle wrote:

And when I called them the other day to get some baseline info, the CSR sounded like I had kicked her dog and insulted her mama.

This is exactly what I can do without.  Yet, like I said -- I absolutely dread going into my local branch or having to call them for anything.  I can count on less than one hand the number of times that I have dealt with a customer service representative there who was not in a hurry to get rid of me or didn't have attitude.

Message 14 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@BlueHusky wrote:
  • When I had credit problems (no baddies, just uber high utilization) only Chase closed one of my CC accounts.
  • Refused to PC my Slate to a Freedom.
  • 7-10 message when I applied for a Freedom. Had to call for a recon and the guy finally approved it for $1,000. Strange, because the only other card I've applied for on my own since my credit score shot up was the AMEX Blue Cash Everday, and they INSTANTLY approved me for a $12,500 limit. My FICO from Walmart is 783, from American Express it's 761 - I have no baddies, adequate income, etc. I feel like I shouldn't have to do a recon for a measly $1,000 on the Freedom.

If it wasn't for the awsome combo of Chase Sapphire Preferred + Chase Checking + Chase Freedom, I wouldn't have any chase cards.

Note: While I was instantly approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred recently as well, this was on a joint account with my significant other. I don't count that as an approval for myself, really. It just seems Chase doesn't like me.. :/ Any ideas?

@BlueHusky wrote:
  • When I had credit problems (no baddies, just uber high utilization) only Chase closed one of my CC accounts.
  • Refused to PC my Slate to a Freedom.
  • 7-10 message when I applied for a Freedom. Had to call for a recon and the guy finally approved it for $1,000. Strange, because the only other card I've applied for on my own since my credit score shot up was the AMEX Blue Cash Everday, and they INSTANTLY approved me for a $12,500 limit. My FICO from Walmart is 783, from American Express it's 761 - I have no baddies, adequate income, etc. I feel like I shouldn't have to do a recon for a measly $1,000 on the Freedom.

If it wasn't for the awsome combo of Chase Sapphire Preferred + Chase Checking + Chase Freedom, I wouldn't have any chase cards.

Note: While I was instantly approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred recently as well, this was on a joint account with my significant other. I don't count that as an approval for myself, really. It just seems Chase doesn't like me.. :/ Any ideas?

BH,

Congrats on your cards from the other thread!  That said, a lender is going to look at the open credit lines they have you across ALL the tradelines: Freedom (1K), Slate (saw you combined this with the Freedom somewhere), and CSP which is a minimum of a 5K limit.

6K+ with any lender is more than respectable, and Amex, truth be told, is offering very aggressive (high) CL's these days.

Now, my applying for even a Slate, that could be considered their hating on me... they'd at least be howling with laughter when they reviewed the application at my expense Smiley Happy.

        
Message 15 of 33
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Its not like the 40's 50's and 60's anymore. 

Back then you had a personal banker, that you went in and talked to and had a relationship with. No FICO, no baselines, no computers.

There is no such thing as a "Banking Relationship" anymore.

Ah for the old days, but you can't look back, better to just move along and learn the numbers game to stay ahead of the machine.

You can't take it personally, I know its hard not to, but its just numbers. 1 point one way or the other means you get or don't get a card.

Its a bold new world out there ladies and gentleman and a new type of warfare. It is best to know the ways of your enemies LOL.

This place is where I learned about my enemy, and how to use them to the extent they can be used or manipulated.

In the end, it is what it is. Play big or go home lol Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 33
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Wow, what a bunch of serious rhetoric here.  I can only speak for myself, so I'll say (and I thought this would be clear enough) that I was being facetious to imply that a bank doesn't "like" me, or rather, I know it's nothing personal.  Their risk management software simply doesn't "like" my profile, and that's as far as it goes.

I've spoken at length to their credit analysts several times and I know that they just have strict and conservative standards that don't allow me to get anywhere with them.  It seems wacky when a 19-year-old with no credit history might get more attractive terms from them than I would, but I realize that it's their right to set their standards in whatever way they find prudent, and I would do the same if I were a bank.

Unfortunately for me, I am simply lumped in, demographically (or whatever the term would be for their metrics) with losers and that's OK - I'm not grouped that way with plenty of other institutions.  They probably prefer the fresh new entrant into the credit world (the 19-year-old) vs. me, with my bankruptcy ten years ago, my record of having tax liens, whether or not I paid them (and I did) and cards with about ten other financial institutions.  They want Mr. and Mrs. Joe and Jane Suburbia with their one 30-year mortgage, one car loan, and two credit cards and they probably get decent results with that strategy.  They have so much business they don't know what to do with it, so they can afford to be as choosy as they want.  I probably appear like a shyster, swindler, possible bankruptcy candidate, or just an eccentric user of too much credit.

By the way, I see this over and over on this and other boards:  People complain about bad treatment from banks and CSRs, and I make dozens of phone calls per year to these places and I don't think I've ever been treated rudely.  Maybe 1. I'm clear, polite, and respectful when I call, and 2. I don't have unreasonable standards.  Some people can't be pleased and if they don't get everything they want, they say the CSR was rude and disrespectful.

*by the way, Minimock is exactly right.  It's all numbers, it's all "the computer."  There's no fighting "the computer" so we'd all better just get used to it.  When that all-knowing, all-controlling computer program doesn't like the input that goes with my name and social security number, there's little-to-nothing that anyone can do about it except keep playing the game and hope that I can beat the computer someday (and I've been making headway over the years.  Computers are dumb and they only work with whatever you feed into them.  Generally, there are no people involved to "like" or "hate" you in this game.)

Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Oh I understood what you said alright, I just didn't agree with it. The comments regarding CLIs and APRs weren't referring to you, but instead to others on this post with the common viewpoint that they don't like Chase. Everything I write isn't all about you. However, the next part is.

Business is business, and the only boundaries of business are economics, the law and what the law can actually prove. If you prefer to impose additional boundaries on your own business, then that's your perogative. Don't expect all other businesses to do the same. They aren't required to and therefore they haven't. Moral and ethical arguments in business are losing ones. If you have a problem with how they conduct their business, blame the legal system. Banks are doing what they're allowed to do given the current rules/setup, and like any other individual they are innocent until proven guilty. If the system hasn't been able to prove them guilty, then you might want to take a harder look at the flaws in our laws and our courts first.

If you disagree with how they conduct themselves, you have two options: continue to do business with them or walk.

I have to agree with CreditScholar here...and to add to what he is saying, we would all probably do well to stop comparing brands as though one credit profile will match the lending profile requirements of others.

For instance, we will frequently see posts here asking why NFCU or Citi will approve a card with a $10,000-20,000 CL, yet Discover only approves $1,000. The answer is: Discover is, by and large, a more conservative lender. To take personally the fact that they don't reward your credit profile and SD them is a little silly to me. I mean, they already approved you for credit...UNSECURED credit! That in and of itself is a compliment to you as a credit consumer.

Same goes for the always-popular paranoid lenders like AMEX, Barclay and BOA. Does it bother you that they FR or watch you like a hawk? If that is a source of consternation for you, don't apply for their cards...simple as that.

Bottom-line: Dance with the girl you bring to the ball, but remember always that YOU chose her. If you no longer have warm and fuzzies for that girl, it's time to move on Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 18 of 33
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Chase doesn't like me either. As Michael Jackson used to say, "you are not alone". Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 19 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

Since we're dealing Banks (not Charitable institutions), wouldn't they sort of not really like (from a profit loss perspective) anyone whom they think may not have money or make them any money?

Any business that caters to those whose costs to service exceeds revenue won't be in business for long.  Every business--especially today--must seek out those 5% customers whose service costs will neutralize the profits gained from the other 95% of profitable customers.

This is especially true for banks and service related companies.  

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.