Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Get an AMEX Delta Gold?

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Why Get an AMEX Delta Gold?

I noticed a lot of people get AMEX Delta Gold. Is it because it's prestigious? Please do not take anything I say on this thread as insulting. I am just trying to wrap my head around paying a 95 dollar annual fee?

I'm sure I missed some perks and I am honestly looking for a good reason to have an Amex? Does it benefit mostly people who fly Delta often? I don't fly much so maybe that's why I'm missing the point?

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb question.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Re: Why Get an AMEX Delta Gold?

Well it is supposed to be the easiest revolver to get from Amexco. And the 30K Miles are nice if you are flying Delta. And free baggage etc.

Once you are in, it can grow quickly with you (see 3x CLI at 61 days sticky)

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 2 of 22
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

1. It's a revolver

2. It's easy to get

3. Various sign-up promos depending on your needs (I picked 35k miles +$100 statement credit after $750)

4. 3x CLI after 60 days

5. It gets you in with Amex.. which cant be a bad thing. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 3 of 22
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

We fly Delta a lot....use the miles....free baggage....companion ticket. I do some of my online through Delta Skymiles shopping when I can (has all the big retailers). That adds a lot of miles on for things I would buy anyway.

We've had ours since 2009 and it is our go to card. I can see where it might not be your thing if you don't fly Delta.

Message 4 of 22
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I got mine because there were a few trips to be taken last year. The annual fee is made up with 1 round trip flight. Like the other's have said:

--first checked bag free (and if you are nice, the SkyCaps will let you go with heavy bags without charging, but don't be a jerk--tip appropriately),

--priority boarding; often overlooked and dismissed as a benefit with no value but consider when you are flying domestic, you are likely on a smaller jet. Narrow aisles, disobedient passengers, etc. You get on with the first and business flyers and you can settle in way before the zombies shuffle on

--20% discount on in-flight stuff like headsets,cocktails, snacks

--double miles when booking through Deltadotcom

--AF waived the first year

Well worth the $95 AF.

The companion ticket has been discontinued and here is my personal dilemma. I have my companion ticket that has to be redeemed before AUG2013 but after that, do I cancel and stick with my Plat charge or upgrade the Gold to Platinum....

Message 5 of 22
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

I got mine because there were a few trips to be taken last year. The annual fee is made up with 1 round trip flight. Like the other's have said:

--first checked bag free (and if you are nice, the SkyCaps will let you go with heavy bags without charging, but don't be a jerk--tip appropriately),

--priority boarding; often overlooked and dismissed as a benefit with no value but consider when you are flying domestic, you are likely on a smaller jet. Narrow aisles, disobedient passengers, etc. You get on with the first and business flyers and you can settle in way before the zombies shuffle on

Well worth the $95 AF.

The companion ticket has been discontinued and here is my personal dilemma. I have my companion ticket that has to be redeemed before AUG2013 but after that, do I cancel and stick with my Plat charge or upgrade the Gold to Platinum....

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this validated?  My travels for work are very regional so its usually the SouthWorst treatment for me.  Just curious how they (Delta) validate you as a priority boarding passenger.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 22
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Well worth the $95 AF.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this validated?  My travels for work are very regional so its usually the SouthWorst treatment for me.  Just curious how they (Delta) validate you as a priority boarding passenger.  Thanks.

Your SM number is on the ticket. Delta boards Sky Priority separately and in a different line.

Message 7 of 22
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Ahhh. Thx
Message 8 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

WHy get an AMEX Delta Gold!?!?! Because you can! thats why! lmbo but no really like they have mentioned its the easiest to get from AMEX. PLUS the annual fee isnt alot like come on there ara cards that have an annual fee of $400. 95 dollars is nothing  Smiley Tongue

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 22
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

For many its the foot in the door with AMEX.  Delta is also one of the larger airlines (and has alliances with numerous other airlines), so if one flies Delta a lot, they will find it useful.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.