Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I always PIF

tag
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Re: Why I always PIF

I don't pretend to know exactly how AMEX logic works, but I have a hunch (one that I am willing to test anyways).  I don't think AMEX would mind carrying a balance and I also think the amount you spend on their cards weighs very very heavily in regards to them giving you a CLI.

I guess what I am saying is, they aren't a pack of gum lender.  Even people spending 200-300 a month on their cards aren't really what they are looking for either.  I think so long as the balance cut is less than 10% util on their card, and you spend over 1000 a month on their higher end revolvers, that they would treat anyone just fine.

Right now I have a balance of ~1500 on my EDP and I have another month for my 61 day CLI.  I put $2500 through the card the first statement, and I will probably be close to that for the second and I will carry ~1500 for the second statement as well - then I will request the CLI and see what happens.  If they give me the whole $12,000 that's great, if they don't - I was wrong.

I will probably do the same thing at the 6 month mark as well if all goes well for the 61 day CLI and try for 30k to see if I can get it without a counter and without the tax form.  All of this is under a 9% APR promo, so it doesn't really hurt me to try.  I'll probably spark up a thread with some datapoints later when I try it.

TLDR - I don't think carrying a balance or PIF matters in regards to CLI's as much as people think, with any bank; although, it is a good habit to get into if for nothing else.

Message 21 of 33
silkysean
Regular Contributor

I agree with everything you said except with me and my wife we carry balances and rate the cards but it's only $500-$1500 per card no big deal to us paying that Lille  interest because all of our cards have no Af and great interest rates.Yes they can change but to us if it's not within reason we will be quick to cancel.At anytime we could choose to pay off but don't for scoring purposes.I can honestly say we're not worried about financial changes because we have it and if needed will shut everything down in a minute.Way I see it is we earn back that money n the rewards program anyway and yes I know over time it seems to be a lot of money but the interest on it to us s nothing.Evrry 6 months we $0 all debt except car notes but could pay those off as well.But at anytime anything could happen but we plan for those rainy days plus insure our income if anything happens to Cher the bare basic and worst case if it gets to it tap savings.Everyone has a different plan but key is long as Everyone has a plan !

Message 22 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@silkysean wrote:

I agree with everything you said except with me and my wife we carry balances and rate the cards but it's only $500-$1500 per card no big deal to us paying that Lille  interest because all of our cards have no Af and great interest rates.Yes they can change but to us if it's not within reason we will be quick to cancel.At anytime we could choose to pay off but don't for scoring purposes.I can honestly say we're not worried about financial changes because we have it and if needed will shut everything down in a minute.Way I see it is we earn back that money n the rewards program anyway and yes I know over time it seems to be a lot of money but the interest on it to us s nothing.Evrry 6 months we $0 all debt except car notes but could pay those off as well.But at anytime anything could happen but we plan for those rainy days plus insure our income if anything happens to Cher the bare basic and worst case if it gets to it tap savings.Everyone has a different plan but key is long as Everyone has a plan !

How does not paying it off help scoring?   You can always let it report and pay by the due date and not pay any interest.    I really don't understand this approach:   I could see if I didn't have to make any payment, then the ease of doing it just every six months say might be worth a little interest.   But since I can set up the cards (well, most) to PIF on due date, I don't see any time savings, just money wasted on interest.    Again, it may be small, but with exactly the same effort (or less!) it could be 0.

Please explain!

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to say PIF or to not PIF all depends on one's financial goals as well as where you are in your credit experience. If you are new to credit or are rebuilding -  PIF needs to become a habit. Overspending to meet bonus requirements or not having self control or a budget can be easy habits to pick up and can put you in a bad position financially especially if you don't have the means or income to quickly get yourself out of debt. 

Message 24 of 33
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

@Xistaben2 wrote:

A lot of times, homeowners are the ones who tend to carry balances for large (and a lot of times unexpected) purchases that can't be paid in full at the time.  Prime example now is my refridgerator is dying and spoiling my food, if I didn't have my 0% APR promo on my EDP, I would most likely use my Ring for such a purchase because the interest is my lowest.

Things like home repair, auto repair and other stuff are prime examples of why folks would carry.  Then there is always the HELOC argument for the lower interest rate, but I would carry a balance on a credit card with 15% APR before I give up my home as collateral with a HELOC.  Not a chance.

This is what a savings account is for. Smiley Wink 

Of course I understand the mindset, but I much rather have a few extra thousand rotting away in savings to save me the hassle of dealing with debt in case of an emergency. Right now, I have a little extra because my A/C is due to die any month now. Not that I would be happy if all of my appliances died the same day, but it wouldn't be a big deal. 

On a side note: credit card companies make a LOT of money on interchange fees - aka "swipe fees" and certain rewards cards cost more to swipe - so that's another way they're paying us reward happy folks - by siphoning extra money from businesses.

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

People make too much of the whole "I must PIF like clockwork or I will self-destruct! I cannot pay a penny in interest!"

It's a credit card. Sometimes it is convenient to not pay in full and simply settle the remaining tab when you can. Reading this forum it's always the extreme, you're either PIF'ing or declaring bankruptcy and defaulting. As long as you aren't stretching your credit very thin, pay a little more than the minimum and settle in full when you are able, you will build an excellent credit score. Personally, I enjoy treating myself to a large purchase now and again that I'd rather not use liquid savings for and paying it off whenever I decide to, whether that be the next bonus quarter or the next paycheck or in four months. To me, that's the convenience and luxury we have as cardmembers.

Message 26 of 33
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

doom.gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CatOfSpades wrote:

@Xistaben2 wrote:

A lot of times, homeowners are the ones who tend to carry balances for large (and a lot of times unexpected) purchases that can't be paid in full at the time.  Prime example now is my refridgerator is dying and spoiling my food, if I didn't have my 0% APR promo on my EDP, I would most likely use my Ring for such a purchase because the interest is my lowest.

Things like home repair, auto repair and other stuff are prime examples of why folks would carry.  Then there is always the HELOC argument for the lower interest rate, but I would carry a balance on a credit card with 15% APR before I give up my home as collateral with a HELOC.  Not a chance.

Of course I understand the mindset, but I much rather have a few extra thousand rotting away in savings to save me the hassle of dealing with debt in case of an emergency.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, it's not an option for some people, like me.

I'm on SSI due to significant disability. If my total accounts ever go above 2K then I have to report it, and if the stay above 2K for a calendar month then I lose income for that month. And every month until my total acounts drop below 2K again. Saving money would literally stop my income.

I would definitely prefer to address emergencies through savings, but since I cannot do that I address them through 0%APR cards. I carry a balance and deal with the hassle of debt. Every. Single. Emergency.

Message 28 of 33
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CatOfSpades wrote:

@Xistaben2 wrote:

Of course I understand the mindset, but I much rather have a few extra thousand rotting away in savings to save me the hassle of dealing with debt in case of an emergency.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, it's not an option for some people, like me.

I'm on SSI due to significant disability. If my total accounts ever go above 2K then I have to report it, and if the stay above 2K for a calendar month then I lose income for that month. And every month until my total acounts drop below 2K again. Saving money would literally stop my income.

I would definitely prefer to address emergencies through savings, but since I cannot do that I address them through 0%APR cards. I carry a balance and deal with the hassle of debt. Every. Single. Emergency.

That's so crazy that they penalize people for having money. Learn something every day...

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 29 of 33
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

People make too much of the whole "I must PIF like clockwork or I will self-destruct! I cannot pay a penny in interest!"

It's a credit card. Sometimes it is convenient to not pay in full and simply settle the remaining tab when you can. Reading this forum it's always the extreme, you're either PIF'ing or declaring bankruptcy and defaulting. As long as you aren't stretching your credit very thin, pay a little more than the minimum and settle in full when you are able, you will build an excellent credit score. Personally, I enjoy treating myself to a large purchase now and again that I'd rather not use liquid savings for and paying it off whenever I decide to, whether that be the next bonus quarter or the next paycheck or in four months. To me, that's the convenience and luxury we have as cardmembers.

It's your cards and the interest you pay is your money....my post is simply that I always PIF, and the logic I used to arrive at the decision to do so. It was not meant to be a critisizm of those who choose to carry a balance. Everyone has credit situations that are unique to themselves, so what works well for me, may not work well for someone else.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.