Did you mean: 

Why I didn't apply for Venture

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Why I didn't apply for Venture

@kdm31091 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Yes CapOne is a company that most of us love at one point, and hate at other times, when I got started with CapOne it was only after recieving more than a dozen credit card offers from them. I finally decided it was time to get back into the credit card world, the offer was good, how good it was I didn't really grasp at the time. It was my first card on my Credit report, everything had fallen off long ago, they offered me a $750 CL, with 2 steps, one a CLI to $1000 after 6 on time payments, and then to $1500 after another 6 IIRC. at 11.9% still my lowest APR of any card I have. I also picked up a few store cards, then BestBuy, and Sears cards, all the lower end cards MC cards with AF. Both the BestBuy and Sears card were sold to CapOne, and I picked up another CapOne card don't really know why, perhaps wanted more available credit, So at one point I had 4 CapOne builder/rebuilding cards. Today the former Bestbuy and Sears cards are closed because they had low limits and a pain to get the AF waived each year. this was before CapOne turned it self around and started giving CLI's and removing AF's from cards after a couple of years of history. 

Do triple pulls suck yes, but is it real pain or more just pain in my mind that they are triple pulling me for nothing. When I was rebuilding, I frequently had 6+ INQ's on each of my reports. So really never impacted me at the time. Now that I am in primeville, I once again took the triple pull for the venture card, did it hurt, yes my mind hated it, did it really hurt my credit score not really. Would I applied for another card if they hadn't triple pulled me, no because I now realise that the bigger hurt to my credit report comes from new accounts more than INQ's.  Each new card lowers my score for 6 months. Where the first INQ in 6 months may have little or no impact the second and 3rd have a larger hit perhaps 5-10 points, but after that additional hits really aren't bad. Why did I take the triple pull even though I am firmly in primeville? 400 reasons. plus 2pts per mile, though it may not be the best travel card, but the 40,000 points plus 6000 (3000 spend requirement at 2pts per dollar). is enough for 2 round trip tickets to California, next year I will probably be PC to the 0 AF card. I am happy I got the Venture card, a paid trip to California plus a 15k CL are some nice rewards for the triple pull. 

YMMV but there's little point in PCing to the no AF Venture (1.25% only for travel) when you have a QS at 1.5.

it will be PC'd most likely not used much if at all, perhaps they will toss me some 0% BT offers, after I take care of my UTL issues I may just close the card and wait a year untill I pull the trigger again for another $400 bonus. Who knows haven't researched that far in advance. In the end even my QS cards aren't my best reward cards I have a Fidelity AMEX at 2%, and BCP and Sallie Mae, and CSP together they give me better than 1.5% for almost everything I buy. I really didn't apply for the venture card for rewards program, I applied because they are giving me $400.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 21 of 52
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

I agree with the OP. The triple pulls is ridiculous. It almost seems like a punishment of some sort. I can't see myself apping for any of their products for that reason.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 22 of 52
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have no problem trading inquiries for high limit credit cards with 1.5% cash back, no annual fee, $100 bonus, and 0% for 10 months.  

Maybe I am too grateful and loyal, but inquiries really don't matter that much to me if I am getting the credit I requested.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 23 of 52
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I have no problem trading inquiries for high limit credit cards with 1.5% cash back, no annual fee, $100 bonus, and 0% for 10 months.  

Maybe I am too grateful and loyal, but inquiries really don't matter that much to me if I am getting the credit I requested.

Great point too.

We're the ones asking for the credit. Nobody is ever forcing you to apply. If you want the credit, you take the inqs. It's simple as that.

Plenty of lenders will double pull if your application is "borderline". A triple pull is not really much worse.

Message 24 of 52
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I totally don't get your logic.  People routinely take HP's and get credit limits of like $400 (Target), $1000 Barclay's, $1000 Discover, $2000 Citi, $400 Lowes, $150 Wal-Mart, $1000 Macy's,  etc., etc.

Divide $15,000 by these tiny starting limits and tell me how many HP's you have taken for crap limits?

Also there is now all the talk of Cap 1 starting to combine limits.  Not many of us with relatively fresh BK's can get a 40K limit credit card unless we can get into Navy.

If you don't like them, don't apply with them.  Simple.

Message 25 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

New accounts ding your numbers more than inquires. If you're getting inq's and no new accounts theres a reason for that too.
Message 26 of 52
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Any Capital One card is better than that CreditOne card you're holding on to. 

Message 27 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SOGGIE wrote:
I agree with the OP. The triple pulls is ridiculous. It almost seems like a punishment of some sort. I can't see myself apping for any of their products for that reason.

It may seem ridiculous to you, but to other's like myself, taking a triple pull for 30K in additional CL's is actually pretty cheap. It opens the door to higher CL's with other's, such as Chase, Amex, etc... Cap One for ALOT of us, gave us our highest initial CL's, and other's followed suit. I LOVE Cap One and am willing to take a triple HP for what I get in return. If they were triple pulling for CL increases, I'd could see an issue. But they don't, when other's, like Chase do HP for CL increases. It is what it is. You make the decision if it's worth it to you. I, for one, have no issues with it. 

Message 28 of 52
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@OP I use to have you train of thought and despised I mean despised Cap1..  Although I was the one that created my own situation, I hated the triple pull for 300-500 CL's.  Honestly it took me about 7 months of proof they are changing their ways to allow for a triple pull for 30k in CL's..  Seems fair to me 10k for each bureau when you can apply for a barclay's or us bank or citi or what not and get 2-5k approval off a single or possible double pull.  I am convinced they are changing their business model.   So many things I have seen over they last 7 months shows this.  How they allow you to contact the EO right off now, how they are handing out good limits, how they are servicing the customer better in every way shows this, etc..  They do have their faults and like every other CC company yes they want you to only use them and I use to take the triple pull as them basically claiming their territory on you, but quite honestly I like diversifying and Cap1 doesn't take AA on their customers like Barclay's/Chase and many other lenders are known to do, so they have their place in my wallet for the forseeable future!

The quicksilver is the easiest rewards CC out there IMO, instant rewards, no min redemptions, etc....  Only thing I don't like about they card is it is so dang ugly!  I can overlook that thoughSmiley Tongue

Message 29 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@OP I use to have you train of thought and despised I mean despised Cap1..  Although I was the one that created my own situation, I hated the triple pull for 300-500 CL's.  Honestly it took me about 7 months of proof they are changing their ways to allow for a triple pull for 30k in CL's..  Seems pair to me 10k for each bureau when you can apply for a barclay's or us bank or citi or what not and get 2-5k approval off a single or possible double pull.  I am convinced they are changing their business model.   So many things I have seen over they last 7 months shows this.  How they allow you to contact the EO right off now, how they are handing out good limits, how they are servicing the customer better in every way shows this, etc..  They do have their faults and like every other CC company yes they want you to only use them and I use to take the triple pull as them basically claiming their territory on you, but quite honestly I like diversifying and Cap1 doesn't take AA on their customers like Barclay's/Chase and many other lenders are known to do, so they have their place in my wallet for the forseeable future!

The quicksilver is the easiest rewards CC out there IMO, instant rewards, no min redemptions, etc....  Only thing I don't like about they card is it is so dang ugly!  I can overlook that thoughSmiley Tongue

I forgot to even mention about AA. Go read the post whereby an op used over 100K of his CL's, across all his CC's, just to test the waters and see which lenders would support you and which would instantly take AA, reducing your CL's or closing your account all together. Afterall, according to his argument, what good is having a high CL if the lender won't allow you to use these. In other words, he felt alot of these "high CL's" were simply numbers to make one feel good about their finances. Well within 30 day's of using 70 - 80% (100K plus) of his CL's, lenders like Amex, Chase, and Citi all quickly took action and cut him off entirely. Cap One NEVER made a peep. NEVER took AA, closed his account, or lowered his CL. He stated Cap One was one of the only CC's you could actually count on. To me, that told me who I wanted in my wallet. Go check out his post. It's fascinating. This guy has serious 🏉🏈🏉. 

You can find it under FICO Scoring. 

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.