Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I didn't apply for Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why I didn't apply for Venture

I'd rather have a Venture than a Credit One.

Message 31 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG !!!! That's some breaking news and going against everyone on here's opinion. Wow. Thank you !!!!! 😀😁😀😁😀

I'm sorry op. I'm talking in jest. Please don't be offended. I found your comment wonderful. 

Message 32 of 52
yfan
Valued Contributor

Pretty lengthy rant for just some temporary credit pulls. It's your choice not to take the triple pulls, but I am not comfortable with this righteous indignation. The triple pulls are easily justified from their perspective. As you said, they give credit to people who have poor credit and people who have burned them in the past. Which means their risk analysis necessarily has to involve an applicant's credit seeking activity - as much of it as they can get. And since most banks only pull one or two, Capital One can't have a full picture of your credit seeking activity without a triple pull.

From my personal experience, Capital One does treat people who have rebuilt and done better in a good, valued way. Yes I have 2 Quicksilver cards with them - but one was upgraded from a Platinum. I have found it relatively simple to get reasonable SP CLIs, support when I needed it, easy-to-redeem rewards, and the tremendously helpful no FTF. Very few other cards have no AF, a relatively high flat reward structure AND no FTF.

Message 33 of 52
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd rather have the platinum without any rewards than credit one.  Heck, take a secured cap one.  But I am past that.

Signature needs updating
Message 34 of 52
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

*sigh* This forum and its eternal fear of inquiries and fluctuating scores lol. FWIW, my EQ went up 4 points after the Cap 1 inquiry yesterday. Scores fluctuate week to week and inquiries ultimately don't matter in the long run. For me, breaking the 5K ceiling I was at was worth 3 inquiries. My 15K venture will hopefully help me in the future with my other CLIs.
EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 35 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to make sense of your rant, but for the life of me, I can't.

You complain about CapOne's triple pull. I get that; it's certainly a negative. But then you leap to the conclusion that this somehow entices people to apply for multiple CLI or additional CapOne cards. Say what?! I think exactly the opposite. Having applied for a CapOne card and enduring the triple pull, why on earth would I be enticed to endure an additional second triple pull for a CLI or another card? I rarely apply for a CLI, especially when a hard pull is involved. But a triple pull? Not going to do it.

Multiple cards? I two CapOne cards. My platinum select I applied for in 2007 because of a B/T deal. The Venture I applied for just a few months ago. In that period of time I've opened two dozen Chase cards. That's partly because Chase has offered such a variety of cards with great signup bonuses. But also because I know applying for a CapOne is a triple hit on my reports. So, yeah, that's definitely discouraged, not encouraged me from applying for multiple CapOne cards.  (For the moment, I'll skip the obvious question of "why is it so bad to encourage people to get multiple cards?")

@Anonymous wrote:

If and when I apply for venture, it will be a grand total of 9 pulls.

Why? How does three pulls balloon to nine? Are you somehow compelled to get multiple CLI's? I certainly have never had any interest in getting a CLI on my Venture.  I honestly don't know what C/L I got on my Venture, and I don't really care.  All I cared when I got it was that it was enough to meet the bonus spend.  It only takes $3,000 to get the signup bonus. So a C/L of $3,000 would be sufficient. Actually, even a C/L of $2k would be plenty sufficient. So what's the overwhelming need for more?  

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost pulled the trigger on a Venture. The 5k-10k maybe even 15k limt was entycing as ever. Not to mention the $400 bonus.  But there are better cards for travel rewards. You would have to spend ten grand a year on it alone just to make it remotely nice.

Nice? How about this. Apply for the Venture card. Endure a three-bureau pull. Spend $3,000 (that you would have spent anyway) on the card, including at least $460 on travel. Collect your bonus. Never apply for a CLI. Before the annual fee hits, cancel or convert the card to a no A/F card. Walk away $460 richer. In a year or so, if another CapOne offer comes around, lather, rinse, repeat, profit.  Sounds pretty nice to me.

Chris.

Its a well known fact here at myfico that you can apply and combine with capital one.

Message 36 of 52
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Its a well known fact here at myfico that you can apply and combine with capital one.

Not yet. Hopefull by the end of the year! 

Message 37 of 52
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost pulled the trigger on a Venture. The 5k-10k maybe even 15k limt was entycing as ever. Not to mention the $400 bonus.  But there are better cards for travel rewards. You would have to spend ten grand a year on it alone just to make it remotely nice.

Nice? How about this. Apply for the Venture card. Endure a three-bureau pull. Spend $3,000 (that you would have spent anyway) on the card, including at least $460 on travel. Collect your bonus. Never apply for a CLI. Before the annual fee hits, cancel or convert the card to a no A/F card. Walk away $460 richer. In a year or so, if another CapOne offer comes around, lather, rinse, repeat, profit.  Sounds pretty nice to me.

Chris.

huh?

Message 38 of 52
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
I agree with the OP. The triple pulls is ridiculous. It almost seems like a punishment of some sort. I can't see myself apping for any of their products for that reason.

It may seem ridiculous to you, but to other's like myself, taking a triple pull for 30K in additional CL's is actually pretty cheap. It opens the door to higher CL's with other's, such as Chase, Amex, etc... Cap One for ALOT of us, gave us our highest initial CL's, and other's followed suit. I LOVE Cap One and am willing to take a triple HP for what I get in return. If they were triple pulling for CL increases, I'd could see an issue. But they don't, when other's, like Chase do HP for CL increases. It is what it is. You make the decision if it's worth it to you. I, for one, have no issues with it. 

@Drew: <SMH> I'll reword that for you. It would be RIDICULOUS of me to accept a triple pull from Cap One. OP expressed how he/she feels about his/her unwillingness to acquire a triple pull for Cap One's Venture card. As with any other posts, I respect his/her opinion. So happens, I my feelings on the matter align with the OP's. So happens, you and others do not agree. I respect you all's opinions without question. You even provide your reasons for your willingness to accept. I respect that too. We all are entitled to our opinions, and we make decisions for OURSELVES based on OUR OWN wants and needs. As for others on this thread,  I did not refer to the OP's expressions as, "ranting." OP expressed him/herself without intentionally offending others. Neither myself nor the OP questioned the logic of the opinions or decisions of other posters on this thread. As I stated, I respect the decisions of others. I don't eat using the mouths of others, and  others do not expel what I digest. One's experience is respectively their own. RESPECT! It is what it is. BTW I know everyone's sito is not similar to mine, but I did not need Cap One to kickstart my high limits with Chase, AMEX, etc. Everyone has their own goals and methods of achieving their goals.  Smiley LOL

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 39 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SOGGIE wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
I agree with the OP. The triple pulls is ridiculous. It almost seems like a punishment of some sort. I can't see myself apping for any of their products for that reason.

It may seem ridiculous to you, but to other's like myself, taking a triple pull for 30K in additional CL's is actually pretty cheap. It opens the door to higher CL's with other's, such as Chase, Amex, etc... Cap One for ALOT of us, gave us our highest initial CL's, and other's followed suit. I LOVE Cap One and am willing to take a triple HP for what I get in return. If they were triple pulling for CL increases, I'd could see an issue. But they don't, when other's, like Chase do HP for CL increases. It is what it is. You make the decision if it's worth it to you. I, for one, have no issues with it. 

@Drew: <SMH> I'll reword that for you. It would be RIDICULOUS of me to accept a triple pull from Cap One. OP expressed how he/she feels about his/her unwillingness to acquire a triple pull for Cap One's Venture card. As with any other posts, I respect his/her opinion. So happens, I my feelings on the matter align with the OP's. So happens, you and others do not agree. I respect you all's opinions without question. You even provide your reasons for your willingness to accept. I respect that too. We all are entitled to our opinions, and we make decisions for OURSELVES based on OUR OWN wants and needs. As for others on this thread,  I did not refer to the OP's expressions as, "ranting." OP expressed him/herself without intentionally offending others. Neither myself nor the OP questioned the logic of the opinions or decisions of other posters on this thread. As I stated, I respect the decisions of others. I tdon't eat using the mouths of others, and  others do not expel what I digest. One's experience is respectively their own. RESPECT! It is what it is. BTW I know everyone's sito is not similar to mine, but I did not need Cap One to kickstart my high limit increases with Chase, AMEX, etc. Everyone has their own goals and methods of achieving their goals.  Smiley LOL

I'm not sure you're directing your response at me, or because of me, but I think we're both saying the same thing: it's up to each op to make their own decisions as to what works for them. I have no issue with someone getting 5 of every Cap One card if that's what they want. It's not what I would do, but who cares ??? It doesn't affect me and if it works for the op, hey great. I don't have any store cards, that's my choice, but I don't believe because I choose to not app them, that it's wrong for someone to app 500 of them if that's what they want. To each their own and whatever works best for you. If someone asks, I'll voice my opinion and even possibly offer advice, but I'll never denounce their choice. It's there's and they are entitled to it, just as I am. Peace !!!! 😀😁😀

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.