Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why One Full Year Before Closing a CC?

tag
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Why One Full Year Before Closing a CC?

Just curious...

I've seen several times that someone will ask which cards they should close.  And, I often see forum members advise to keep the card open for one full year to get history before they close the card.

I know I had an Orchard Bank for about 5 months, then closed it - didn't care about the year of history.  It felt GREAT to get rid of it!

So, why is this?  Does this affect your score in some way, or do creditors see this and make decisions related to the short history? You still get the 10 years of history that comes with a closed account, so I guess I'm just confused. Smiley Indifferent 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Why One Full Year Before Closing a CC?

If you are building or rebuilding and only have a few open accounts, you may want to keep them open longer.

Other than that, I don't think it matters much if less than a year.. 

Message 2 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah, some people think that it looks better to creditors to see a full year of history, but I'm not sure that it really matters.    Creditors just want to see on~time payments for however long your card happened to be opened.

Closed or open, either way the card will still be factored into your AAoA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 9
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Thanks, you two.

That's pretty much what I figured, but thought maybe there was something I was missing since I see that advised so often.

Cheers! 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 4 of 9
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

My thoughts are that if I've paid an AF, then I might as well get a full year's worth of reporting out of it. But, that's just my personal take on it.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

My thoughts are that if I've paid an AF, then I might as well get a full year's worth of reporting out of it. But, that's just my personal take on it.

+100

Exactly why I am waiting until this summer to close my capital one platinum, even though it has been in the sock drawer reporting 0 balance for 2 months now.

Message 6 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It doesn't matter.  Yes, you'll get the most out of it if you leave it open longer, but you're talking about a few extra months ten years from now.  Ideally, you won't be in a position then where you'll need the age from this card.  I suppose if you're taking the ultra conservative view, you could screw your credit up again, and then every last point would count again. 

Now, if you're one that chases sign-up bonuses, it can be good to leave the accounts open longer.  If you're ever having to recon a denial, y ou don't want the bank to see that you always sign up for cards and cancel them after the first month.  You want them to believe that you could become a long term customer.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Um tradeline seasoning is a well known fact of life in FICO models.  Anything shorter than six month is strictly short-term, and apparently there's another uptick at the 1 year mark from everything I've heard or looked at albeit it's mostly anecdotal.

Time does heal pretty much everything, in 10 years it won't matter regardless; however, in the more immediate future, it might.

        
Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I agree!!!

And specifically for rebuilder cards IMO its good to chuck after a year because of all the nasty fees associated with the cards.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.