cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Pay New Charges In Full Before Statement Closes?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Why Pay New Charges In Full Before Statement Closes?

Ok, in a way I know why some people PIF before their statement closes but I also don't see why. Unless you'll be applying for new credit just after the account posts to your CR, isn't it better in some ways to let the balance post and then just pay it off before the due date? Pretty much gives you the same results (using your credit and paying it off) and you also get to float the amount from 3-6/7 weeks depending on when the charges are made.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Pay New Charges In Full Before Statement Closes?

i charge a cash advance on my card and they didnt even post on my account till the last day of my billing cycle......i wouldnt paid it because its take 2 day for them to process and they report 315 balance over 400 limit.......my score drop 14 points.....thats one of the reason why would we paid it before the cycle day.......also to prevent interest charge..........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Ok, in a way I know why some people PIF before their statement closes but I also don't see why. Unless you'll be applying for new credit just after the account posts to your CR, isn't it better in some ways to let the balance post and then just pay it off before the due date? Pretty much gives you the same results (using your credit and paying it off) and you also get to float the amount from 3-6/7 weeks depending on when the charges are made.

Paying on the card throughout the month keeps utilization low. Try to always get the cards to report between 1-5% utilization to maximize score.

If you are not worried about your score. Just pay in full before the due date and keep that money in an interest bearing account.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

i charge a cash advance on my card and they didnt even post on my account till the last day of my billing cycle......i wouldnt paid it because its take 2 day for them to process and they report 315 balance over 400 limit.......my score drop 14 points.....thats one of the reason why would we paid it before the cycle day.......also to prevent interest charge..........

Cash advances do not have an interest free period. So always try to avoid them. If you cannot avoid it, pay it off ASAP. Do not wait for a statement to pay a cash advance.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 32
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Cash advances do not have an interest free period. So always try to avoid them. If you cannot avoid it, pay it off ASAP. Do not wait for a statement to pay a cash advance.

Unless it's Walmart. You can get some cash back and not be charged interest like you would for a regular card's cash advance.  I can see doing it for cash advances and as mentioned, to keep your score up. Some new accounts posted balances to my report so my TU dropped by 22 points. A few inquiries probably didn't help either. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 32
ceejx
Established Contributor

To add to what they said, paying on it before statement closes ensures that a small balance posts to the report. From an anecdotal study in another post, all cards PIF except a single card showing between 6% and 9% balance gives you the maximum points, then PIF before balance due date to keep from paying finance charges.

Although credit reports have no memory of the previous months balances and the next month the score will recover if a balance isn't held, I make sure every statement posts with the single card and 9% util in case for some emergency situation during that month, where I can't wait for the new balances to post, such as applying for a new car, or some new form of emergency credit/loan, I don't want to be caught with lower points that could either cause me to be denied or have a higher interest rate.

Message 6 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@seigex wrote:

To add to what they said, paying on it before statement closes ensures that a small balance posts to the report. From an anecdotal study in another post, all cards PIF except a single card showing between 6% and 9% balance gives you the maximum points, then PIF before balance due date to keep from paying finance charges.

Although credit reports have no memory of the previous months balances and the next month the score will recover if a balance isn't held, I make sure every statement posts with the single card and 9% util in case for some emergency situation during that month, where I can't wait for the new balances to post, such as applying for a new car, or some new form of emergency credit/loan, I don't want to be caught with lower points that could either cause me to be denied or have a higher interest rate.

My US Bank card reports its morning balance 3 days before the statement is created, it is very odd to me.

I agree with you on the one card reporting a balance. I think the theory behind that is a lower DTI ratio. One payment is less of a financial burden that two or more. As long as that 9% on one card falls between 1-5% total utilization, that is the ideal scenario.

Message 7 of 32
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

let me try your method this months and see how much the score improve Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 32
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

let me try your method this months and see how much the score improve Smiley Very Happy

What are your cards with limits. What are their reported balances?

Message 9 of 32
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

low limit.....400 400 and 500 3 credit card.....low balance....but its 315/400 on one card last month ;-(

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.