Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why SO MANY Credit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why SO MANY Credit Cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just place credit hoarders in the same category as people who hoard other items, it's a sickness, an addiction and a disease, and I don't encourage it. On a personal level I can see better things to do with my money than having 20 cards, like sticking the money that would go toward credit card balances and putting it toward an emergency fund or a brokerage account so you might have the means to pay those cards when things hit the fan.  I have seen people in my own family get in serious trouble with credit hoarding, and they wound up in bankruptcy court or consumer credit counseling.  I'm not going to be that guy, and I'm not going to be the one to encourage someone who is brand new to credit, as most new posters on these boards are, to go ahead and apply for 20 accounts they can't afford, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even know. 

I think there's a fine line between having numerous credit cards to:

A) Build a robust credit file that can withstand future AAOA dings

B) Collect sign up bonuses/maximize cashback

C) Cultivate a banking relationship with a wide array of lenders

D) [Insert other valid personal reason here]

and encouraging people to apply for 20 accounts and using them to buy things they can't afford. To be fair, some people with 10+ accounts are true credit addicts, some are not, and while denouncing the harm in addiction is perfectly reasonable, your original comment made a very wide generalization about people who have 10+ accounts and your second comment conflates their experiences with those of "credit hoarders" and people who can't successfully manage their money. I think that, more than the FSR component, is what got people's feathers ruffled.

Message 61 of 75
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just place credit hoarders in the same category as people who hoard other items, it's a sickness, an addiction and a disease, and I don't encourage it.  On a personal level I can see better things to do with my money than having 20 cards, like sticking the money that would go toward credit card balances and putting it toward an emergency fund or a brokerage account so you might have the means to pay those cards when things hit the fan.  I have seen people in my own family get in serious trouble with credit hoarding, and they wound up in bankruptcy court or consumer credit counseling.  I'm not going to be that guy, and I'm not going to be the one to encourage someone who is brand new to credit, as most new posters on these boards are, to go ahead and apply for 20 accounts they can't afford, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even know. 

I truly understand the point you're trying to convey 

However having 3 or 20 cards does not mean one is going to slip into financial ruin so to speak due to a certain number of cards..

What works for you could be a small minority for others.

Example in my case I have a card for gas, card for food, card for cell phone and cable, travel, dining, business, low APR....etc 

There's 7 cards right there for max savings be it cashback or points.

See the point? No spending other than normal everyday monthly spending all of which is in the bank before I spend it so basically their debit cards that I profit from

I'm sure I missed some categories but one could easily benefit from say anything over 3 or 33 and manage them w/o going to the poor house ....Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 62 of 75
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just place credit hoarders in the same category as people who hoard other items, it's a sickness, an addiction and a disease, and I don't encourage it.  On a personal level I can see better things to do with my money than having 20 cards, like sticking the money that would go toward credit card balances and putting it toward an emergency fund or a brokerage account so you might have the means to pay those cards when things hit the fan.  I have seen people in my own family get in serious trouble with credit hoarding, and they wound up in bankruptcy court or consumer credit counseling.  I'm not going to be that guy, and I'm not going to be the one to encourage someone who is brand new to credit, as most new posters on these boards are, to go ahead and apply for 20 accounts they can't afford, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even know. 

I truly understand the point you're trying to convey 

However having 3 or 20 cards does not mean one is going to slip into financial ruin so to speak due to a certain number of cards..

What works for you could be a small minority for others.

Example in my case I have a card for gas, card for food, card for cell phone and cable, travel, dining, business, low APR....etc 

There's 7 cards right there for max savings be it cashback or points.

See the point? No spending other than normal everyday monthly spending all of which is in the bank before I spend it so basically their debit cards that I profit from

I'm sure I missed some categories but one could easily benefit from say anything over 3 or 33 and manage them w/o going to the poor house ....Lol

Agree.  Add, for bonus min spend, I pay ahead several bills, so it's just like paying what I would already need (the debit card example).  I also take advantage of 0%. Yet not on large scale.  My 0% way below my annual income, probably at one month's income.  Thus, have more in brokerage and savings vs. 0% debt, and in crunch can easily pay it off.  Count me in as new to credit myself (been one year since I started apping).

Signature needs updating
Message 63 of 75
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

JonE said "Personally, enough for me is 3 cards, MAYBE as much as 6. Anyone with more than 10 or 20 has some unresolved issues. ". Also compared many of those on this board with credit hoarders, addictions etc.

i actually understand what you are saying but the way you are saying it is insulting and inflammatory. I have 15-20 acts and PIF each month.  I certainly enjoy collecting cards but I make money in doing so.  I don't pay interest and rarely pay AF.  If this is your philosophy I suggest you rephrase what you are saying or find another forum to post in.  

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 64 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is undisciplined spending and failure to meet one's obligations, and has nothing whatsoever to do with how many CCs a person may or may not have.

Message 65 of 75
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just place credit hoarders in the same category as people who hoard other items, it's a sickness, an addiction and a disease, and I don't encourage it, I don't care how 'Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful' people think it is or isn't.  On a personal level I can see better things to do with my money than having 20 cards, like sticking the money that would go toward credit card balances and putting it toward an emergency fund or a brokerage account so you might have the means to pay those cards when things hit the fan.  I have seen people in my own family get in serious trouble with credit hoarding, and they wound up in bankruptcy court or consumer credit counseling.  I'm not going to be that guy, and I'm not going to be the one to encourage someone who is brand new to credit, as most new posters on these boards are, to go ahead and apply for 20 accounts they can't afford, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even know. 

If that's not 'Friendly, Supportive and Respectful' enough for you, too bad!

This is undisciplined spending and failure to meet one's obligations, and has nothing whatsoever to do with how many CCs a person may or may not have.

Exactly, CC's have nothing to do with individuals living well beyond their means. I have uninformed coworkers that say the same. The problem is some of them are broke and don't own one credit card. lol 

I like obtaining bonuses, saving money and I like what the CC' s have done for my credit just in a 5 month period I've been frequenting the forums..

I'm not here to please anyone, but do enjoy helping friends, family and coworkers get their credit back in check. I also enjoy sharing life stories and ideas with people that have similar interest. I'm nearing that 20 card level. Never thought I would. Last I checked, I wasn't living one paycheck to napping under a bridge either. 

Message 66 of 75
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly, CC's have nothing to do with individuals living well beyond their means. I have uninformed coworkers that say the same. The problem is some of them are broke and don't own one credit card. lol 

I like obtaining bonuses, saving money and I like what the CC' s have done for my credit just in a 5 month period I've been frequenting the forums..

I'm not here to please anyone, but do enjoy helping friends, family and coworkers get their credit back in check. I also enjoy sharing life stories and ideas with people that have similar interest. I'm nearing that 20 card level. Never thought I would. Last I checked, I wasn't living one paycheck to napping under a bridge either. 

Yes, if you can't afford the essentials (food, lights, heat, shelter), then maybe start with cash back debit card like paypal business (used to be premier).   Never use overdraft protection, never borrow to pay rent (rent is more important than payments on CC's).  Otherwise, it's kinda nice to be paid to shop.  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 67 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over 10 open cards is more than enough for starting out, AND people with 40 years of credit history. Whatever you do, dont have 6+ of your 10  accounts with one bank. They could wipe you out and you have nothing to back yourself up. Also one with 10 different banks--chances are you are not maximizing reward structures this way either, or building history faster with multiple cousin accounts.

The idea of paying several monthly bills on the credit cards is a newer way of going about things for me. I used to do it only when i was going to be short. Now, i look forward to doing so, and almost changed car insurance so i could add another one in the mix (company was more). This is a quick and painless way of scooping up free rewards and spending requirements, and its NOT living outside of my means. Always having at least 75% of the bill ready to pay anyway in cash/checking acct when you charge it, is how you dont becaome the statistic. 

Message 68 of 75
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just place credit hoarders in the same category as people who hoard other items, it's a sickness, an addiction and a disease, and I don't encourage it. On a personal level I can see better things to do with my money than having 20 cards, like sticking the money that would go toward credit card balances and putting it toward an emergency fund or a brokerage account so you might have the means to pay those cards when things hit the fan.  I have seen people in my own family get in serious trouble with credit hoarding, and they wound up in bankruptcy court or consumer credit counseling.  I'm not going to be that guy, and I'm not going to be the one to encourage someone who is brand new to credit, as most new posters on these boards are, to go ahead and apply for 20 accounts they can't afford, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even know. 

The issue is where does hoarding begin?  Presumably when you have many more than satisfy any (non-emotional) purpose and that is different for different people.

But had you said at first: something like "[Some] posters here encourage reckless applications, especially for new users (or rebuilders)"  I would agree, but that is a different point.    

Message 69 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The issue is where does hoarding begin?  Presumably when you have many more than satisfy any (non-emotional) purpose and that is different for different people.

But had you said at first: something like "[Some] posters here encourage reckless applications, especially for new users (or rebuilders)"  I would agree, but that is a different point.    

I think it begins when the act of collecting begins to interfere with other aspects of one's life. For instance, the Internet is awesome until you end up ignoring your family, friends and job to be on it. That specific point is different depending on the person--some people can't handle even one credit card while others can handle 30-40 or even more with no issues.

Message 70 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.