Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why So Many?

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why So Many?

@Anonymouswrote:

@For me, it's basically the reasons #1, 2 and 7 that @Anonymous identified, along with a bit of looking for the best rewards (one reason I got the Capital One QS Visa Signature is that it offers $150 rewards back after $500 spending, which is a LOT lower than many other such offers). That being said, I'm actually looking at trimming my card portfolio back a bit over the course of this year into next; I got my new Discover IT at least in part because the one I currently have, I got when my scores were significantly lower and my rebuild was still only just really beginning, At this point, I'm pretty sure it's a "starter"-bucket card, so I went to get a new one with a much better SL ($5000, the old one had a SL half that) that I plan to combine the old card into next year.

The same plan obtains for my Capital One QS MC, which is pretty definitely in my opinion a starter card, as I've not been able to get a CLI since the automatic one last summer which took me to $3500 from $3000. I'm planning to zero it out (and use the rewards) over the next three months or so and then combine it with the QS Visa ($10k) in July. I also plan to close out my old Cap 1 starter secured Platinum MC and get the deposit back to apply to other things. I'm also considering the possibility of closing out my Overstock store card; even though it's currently my third biggest CL, I've only used it a couple of times in the last six months since the category (books/music/movies) that I did most of my shopping there got taken down and shows no signs of being restored (and truthfully, the prices there weren't much lower than Amazon anyway).

I only have one credit card at this point that I'm really interested in getting this year, either the Marvel Mastercard or Paypal Mastercard (both Synchrony), and also considering reinstating my (closed) ex-Bill Me Later account at PayPal Credit, which would be a "hidden" tradeline. So assuming everything happens as described above, I'd probably have only 8-9 cards/tradelines by next spring, which I think would suffice pretty well for me, and most of the inquiries I've taken since summer 2016 will have dropped off or stopped affecting my scores. For late 2019, depending on how things shake out, I might try for an Amex once the 5-year-1-month waiting period post-BK completes, but assuming I get that, that would pretty well, I think, round out my portfolio.

FYI, synchrony is taking over the PayPal credit accounts late summer/early fall. Our "hidden" tradeline might not stay hidden at that point. At least I'm not counting on it to stay that way because synchrony. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 11 of 69
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I personally like to focus on having fewer cards and actually using them, vs having 20 accounts and using them each for one purchase a month etc. The more cards you have, it just dilutes your benefits IMO. It can be nice to have a buffer for emergencies but I don’t like having too many to keep track of. 3-5 accounts in good standing are plenty for me.
Message 12 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Trying to see the diff in 20 $2500 cards vs 10 $5000 vs 5 $10000 ... Wouldnt you get better aging by just upping limits?

There's benefits to both... and many of the "20-card jockeys" do both.  For issuers that offer SP CLIs, there's no harm in trying... the worst is you get denied.  But most issuers do hard pulls (inquiries) for customer requested CLIs which affect scores.  If you want to increase your available credit and take a HP for it, often a new card will offer a higher starting limit than a CLI on an existing card will... and if you have 2 or more cards with the same issuer, you can often call or message them and have limits moved from one card to another... Chase is a good example of this, most people with sky-high limits on Chase cards got them by getting another Chase card, then having the limit transferred.

Message 13 of 69
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I feel like this question was already asked just in a different way. Smiley LOL

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/What-does-everyone-do-with-all-this-credit/td-...

Message 14 of 69
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@simplynoirwrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/What-does-everyone-do-with-all-this-credit/td-...

Lmbo 😂 Simplynoir! This question comes up twice or three times a week. 

And normally you have at least one poster that jumps in with both feet, who worries more 

about  someone else's credit instead of his or her own.

Simple answer OP, we do it because we want to. 😉

I probably won't be cancelling any more cards. Now if the lender closes those I don't use as much. That's fine to.

If I hadn't cancelled some two years ago. I'd be a 40 plus card jockey.🤣

Message 15 of 69
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

Lmbo 😂 Simplynoir! This question comes up twice or three times a week. 

And normally you have at least one poster that jumps in with both feet, who worries more 

about  someone else's credit instead of his or her own.

Simple answer OP, we do it because we want to. 😉

I probably won't be cancelling any more cards. Now if the lender closes those I don't use as much. That's fine to.

If I hadn't cancelled some two years ago. I'd be a 40 plus card jockey.🤣

Indeed. I feel like some posters on here I understand why they would "caution" people on not doing what some are doing collecting cards/credit like it's a hobby but there's a line where helping people becomes patronizing to those same people and that's why I normally stay away from threads like these now. You have your opinions on this, I have mine; what works for us doesn't work for all. We can all be happy in the end for what you do as long as you're responsible with it.

At least that's the way I see it. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 69
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah you’re not exactly encouraging informative conversation if you open up saying people like me are headed for financial trouble.

I have my reasons for having the number of cards I do. Part of it is I’ve been going for signup bonuses though I’d say most of those cards are also potential long term keepers. I’ve been playing around with earning different types of rewards (points vs miles vs cash) depending on my upcoming plans. So while I may be working on cash now I may switch back to points soon to save up for my next trip. And yes I do plan to consolidate some as I figure out which ones work best for me and which ones I don’t think are worth a second year annual fee. Optimizing my score and getting utilization to a point where I don’t worry about the impact of my spending to my scores also plays into it. You can typically get more credit with more benefit options by doing new apps rather than CLIs. Very rarely will I even consider a HP CLI.

And not that you actually care but I’m in better financial shape now than I’ve ever been. So there’s that.

“It’s not the size of your credit that matters, but how you use it.” -recent American proverb
Message 17 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99wrote:
Yeah you’re not exactly encouraging informative conversation if you open up saying people like me are headed for financial trouble.

I have my reasons for having the number of cards I do. Part of it is I’ve been going for signup bonuses though I’d say most of those cards are also potential long term keepers. I’ve been playing around with earning different types of rewards (points vs miles vs cash) depending on my upcoming plans. So while I may be working on cash now I may switch back to points soon to save up for my next trip. And yes I do plan to consolidate some as I figure out which ones work best for me and which ones I don’t think are worth a second year annual fee. Optimizing my score and getting utilization to a point where I don’t worry about the impact of my spending to my scores also plays into it. You can typically get more credit with more benefit options by doing new apps rather than CLIs. Very rarely will I even consider a HP CLI.

And not that you actually care but I’m in better financial shape now than I’ve ever been. So there’s that.

“It’s not the size of your credit that matters, but how you use it.” -recent American proverb

I agree. I'd also like to add that those of us who do get active in building up sizable card portfolios (I suppose mine is kind of medium-sized by myFICO board standards! Smiley Wink ) put a lot of thought and planning into adding each new account so that we know how we can fit them into our overall strategy and know how we're going to be able to fit them into our budget. I've taken out three new accounts so far this year - Capital One QS Visa, Discover IT (#2), and Lending Club (to consolidate and pay off existing balances and other debts and expenses), and I took at least a couple of days every time to think each possible acquisition over carefully and get advice here. I also make sure, wherever possible, to go only for pre-approved/pre-qualified offers that have at least a good chance of final approval (I've learned to watch for single-figure APR offers, which are generally a solid green light). I think I've only done three completely "cold" apps since November 2016 - Amazon, Apple FCU and Care Credit - and had the good luck to score each time.

I think, all things considered, and not to get too far into bragging, that I'm in a better financial position than I've been in quite a few years. I have a stable job with the prospect of regular pay raises, first of all, and even with the new Lending Club loan I'm actually set to pay considerably less per month in CC payments than previously provided I watch my spending carefully (my total revolving credit is now high enough to make it easier to stay well under the magic 8.9% mark) and make strategic use of BT's where necessary to consolidate things.  My credit scores are impressively high (at least to me!), considering that I'm still less than 4 years out from BK discharge, and I'm beginning to get actually very good SL's and CLI's. And as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm planning/considering to combine several cards and close at least one, possibly two, others as 2018 turns into 2019 to consolidate my credit portfolio and make management easier. 

Message 18 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op ill just add, there is nothing wrong in having just a few cards and building those limits up. Its a very good idea actually that in retrospect i would have preferred to do but indeed credit is a learning game. I hesitate to call it a game but until we figure out what works for us sometimes trial and error will occur. As Kdm alluded to sometimes having alot of cards can dilute your rewards depending on your spend.

Ive finished my " trial and error" and now know whats good for me and what works. I will eventualy reduce my cards when the appropriate time comes, i have an idea on that , so just app for what is comfortable to you. Some can be burdened by so many cards to manage, others no, but in the end credit cards are a means to an endSmiley Happy. Good luck on your journey OpSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 69
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Why so many?
Because I can

(37 cards)
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.