Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a decrese when all my cards report 0 balance

tag
vtguy25
Contributor

Why a decrese when all my cards report 0 balance

So last month my cards reported with a little balance not much like 47 dollars and the other one showed up looking almost maxed because I paid it off the day after it reported being the first month I had the card I didn't know when it reported or the statement was cut.  So anyways this month I made sure both cards reported at 0 balance and the first card reported 0 and I had like a ten point bump and then I added a new credit account with a $2000 limit and I was bumped up another 6 points.  Well today my card that had a 47 balance reported at 0 and I had a 4 point decrease.  I know it isn't much but still annoying and wondering why it would do this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why a decrese when all my cards report 0 balance

All revolvers at 0 score at 30% util level, you want 1 card reporting 1-9% of its CL to the CRAs every month to maximize your score.

Message 2 of 8
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

ok dumb question - if all 0 balance cards report at 30% - aren't you better carrying a 1-9% balance on all cards?? It's Friday and been a long week, so sorry if my brain won't allow me to work this one through lol 

Message 3 of 8
rolangunslinger
Established Member

According to what I have read here and other places, the best way to maximize scoring is to have all your cards except one report -0- balance with the one card reporting between 1 and 9% of the limit.

Amex BCE - 25000, Discover IT - 21200, BOA Cash Rewards - 19500, DCU Platinum Visa - 10000, Chase Freedom - 13500, US Bank Cash+ - ????, Citi Double Cash - 6800, Lowes Visa - 25000, Truliant Visa - 3500, PayPal Smart Connect - 4500, King Size - 3450

Starting Scores 03/14 TU=614 EX=598 EQ=588 Current Scores TU=819 EX=801 EQ=811

Message 4 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

All revolvers at 0 score at 30% util level, you want 1 card reporting 1-9% of its CL to the CRAs every month to maximize your score.

I don't think it is quite that specific for everyone (where all 0 will match a specific util).  But the goal utilization point is absolutely true. Basically, there is a penalty for having a significant percentage of all revolving accounts reporting non-zero balances.  And there is a penalty for both total and individual utilization, the most severe penalties being "maxed out".  Add another penalty for showing no use of revolving credit (all cards at 0).

So, one sure-fire way to make sure you are scoring the highest when factoring in the above possibilities is to have one card showing a low balance that is lower than 10% utilization for that individual card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 8
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

yes, i agree that is what the consensus is - but if you have card at say 4% and 5 cards at zero balance - (which reports at 30%??) - surely it would be better to have all 6 report at 4% than one at 4% and 5 at 30% ? i cant get my head around it reporting or being valued at 30% when it clearly isn't

Message 6 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

yes, i agree that is what the consensus is - but if you have card at say 4% and 5 cards at zero balance - (which reports at 30%??) - surely it would be better to have all 6 report at 4% than one at 4% and 5 at 30% ? i cant get my head around it reporting or being valued at 30% when it clearly isn't

no, you misunderstood gdales comment.  He was suggesting that having ALL cards at 0 will score the same as having a 30% utilization.  There IS a penalty for having ALL cards at 0, but the 30% idea is a generalization....  Having some of your cards at 0 will not cause these cards to be scored as 30%.... or have any penalty for that matter.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 8
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the clarification Dave - I appreciate it Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.