cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I not getting approved for these cards with my scores this high?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why am I not getting approved for these cards with my scores this high?

@Legions36 wrote:

Wow I love the highs and lows. Just got approved for amex everyday white $3800, on a roll now. Not sure what else to add in my file.

Huntington voice, if you're in their region area. 3% on whichever category you choose. 

Message 21 of 32
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations on the cards, OP, but ....

Why do you want to pull down all the 0% APR Intro cards in one go? You got $9k on the Simplicity. That should allow you plenty of time, 21 months? with a 0% on purchases and BT, right?

I keep getting bugged by Wells Fargo about their 0% intro for 15 months, but I've had other cards with 0% purchase rates, so keep pressing "remind me later". Maybe in 2017 I'll need to use it.

Have you tried to get a CLI on your Discover card? Call them about a 0% APR promo period? I called them looking for a slight decrease in my APR, and they countered with a 12 month 0% APR on purchases, which I combined with a 0% BT offer for 12 months.

I want zero interest because it helps me since I use my cards alot for equipment purchases I need with work and stuff like that so I can carry balances easier without paying interest and have to pay off every month. It just helps me all around with everything Im looking to do. I have all the money to cover everything i spend so an added plus for me to have this.

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 22 of 32
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Legions36 wrote:

Wow I love the highs and lows. Just got approved for amex everyday white $3800, on a roll now. Not sure what else to add in my file.

Don't try to increase your old Amex and focus on your new one. Then, when you have a good limit, you can transfer some to your old Amex card.

Sometimes Amex do that, won't CLI an old account and give you a new one with good limit, then you ask for 3X on the new card and they approve. Good luck.

Message 23 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Legions36 wrote:

I was like, AMEX White? Now it makes sense.

It's chrome, you'll see Smiley Happy

Congratulations.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 32
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approvals OP! Since you took the HP, why not try for the AARP from Chase? As mentioned, it has a $200 bonus on $500 spend in 3mths. Not a bad deal.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should go ahead and apply for the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card, but today only.  It will go under the same experian inquiry (99.999% liklihood). If you spend $1,000 on it in 90 days, you will get 50,000 MR points. That is worth around $1,000 for travel, or 250-500 in gift cards.  Plus, you get $100 in travel credit now, and again january 1st, which you could buy airline gift cards in $50 increments.  I would start combining apps and inquiries here at your rate you are going to have 25 inquiries like me lol.

But seriously though, part of me kind of wanted to question your motives...I wanted to say list your spend and its categories so you can apply for better cards.  Sounds like you already have a good paying job, and charging equipment seems to help you with work. So that is great. If these help you then so be it.

Your utilization would really benefit from the Amex PRG card though.  You could charge 5 or 10 grand on it (if amex allows it, you can check your spending ability online before purchases) and not have your score go down.  You have to google amex prg from an incognito or inprivate browser to get the 50k mr point offer to pop up. This is a charge card and must be paid in full each month.  You may get options to carry balances over time but that charges interest.

The PRG has a  $195 annual fee, but its waived the first year. Plus you just got the ED and that is a place to keep membership rewards points with no annual fee if you decide to cancel the PRG card.

You may benefit from delving deeper into how you spend and on which card.  A person that prefers Delta airlines would take the ED/PRG combo....whereas someone that likes United would take Chase. If you spend enough it doesn't matter, just gives you more flexibility.  Someone who stays at hotels a lot would take the Citi Prestige or the Amex SPG.

But really you could try to think of a fun vacation idea and share it here and maybe get some pointers on which cards to be using to get there. Paying interest does negate any rewards in most cases. You'd be fine now carrying some balances with intro periods.

The nice thing about your current ED card is it does have a charge card feature. You can spend over your $3800 limit but any portion over the limit must be paid by the due date plus the minimum payment amount.  I would also highly encourage you to use this new amex ED card for at least a few months and pay it in full before you request a credit limit increase of $11,400.  This is known as an Amex 3x CLI.  They have really tightened the reigns with increases, I was denied at approval for an increase, and also at the 90 day mark. 6 months is what it took for me to go from $5k to 15k. Once you hit a 25k limit they will ask for tax documents.  Of course you could just switch to your BCE and request increases on it after your first few with the new ED.  Just know 90 days between denials across all cards, and 6 months between approvals across all cards.  You could start using the chat feature and ask for APR reductions.  Have you completely given up on this BCE and just quit using it because of the low limit? You might have to show amex some love on the new ED and then they will approve increases down the road on your other accounts.

Do you own your own business? 

Message 26 of 32
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

@Legions36 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Legions36 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

why the sudden urge for so much credit?  It seems sort of suspicious to me that you are wanting all these cards, when you have an amex with such a low limit. I would immediately request a 3x CLI on that, so ask for 3 times your current credit limit. if denied try again in 90 days. If approved, repeat in 6 months.

Totally forgot about the citi double apping aspect.

So its ok for you to have like 20 cards but not other people? I have worked to get my credit the way I want it and now I want the cards I'm looking for. Zero and low interest cards and I will close my higher interest cards and the ones I don't need.

Who even says to someone it seems "suspicious" like im up to something according to you. Thanks for your help but no thanks, no need for you to respond here anymore.

I am sorry, my comment was not clear, nor friendly or respectful, I meant in my view of what a bank would see, or if I were the bank.  We are just trying to help. If you do get denials and recon, ask them why.  But I still can't grasp why you are upset with the latest activities, yet you have an amex card (known for huge limits) with a limit below $1,000.  I dunno. Sorry. 

I also did not see you answer to the AAOA question. Do you know what your AAOA is?  What reasons did capital one give you for a denial? Did you call in to recon?

Yes sorry I misunderstood you. Im just happy with where I stand at the moment and was confused. I have a little more clarity on some stuff now. 15 years of history if i remember right.

And right after I responded before to your text I applied for Slate and was approved for $7500 limit with zero for 15 months.

Amex didn't want to give me increases over the 2 years i have had the card so I dont know.

I spoke with NFCU and it looks like they will approve because they just needed me to answer how much I pay for rent and will let me know in 24 hours.

Not sure with Cap1 but I will try to talk to them on Monday about it.

> Please don't close any accounts!...   even if u are declined for capita lone, keep checking the pre-Qual.   Congrats on slate, stay calm   Happy holidays!

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 27 of 32
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

> Congrats on the Amex!

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 28 of 32
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your approvals.....you see it is not as bad as you thought Smiley Happy ... I would now focus on the new Amex and try to do the 3 x CLI then move over some of the limit to the old card if you plan to keep that one.  No need to close any accounts as with your income you are still far away from getting denials due to too much available credit.  Enjoy your new cards Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm guessing your second citi app got shot down because you had just got approved for an account. if i was them there is zero chance in hell i'd approve you for the second account just like that, especially since you already have a 9K CL with what is obviously a limited credit history.

and other banks shot you down because citi just shot you down.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.