cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why apply in clusters or Spree for new credit or accounts?

tag
bobbay
Established Contributor

Why apply in clusters or Spree for new credit or accounts?

I am not sure if this is the best forum for this post so feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

I have seen this question asked here and we know it is fairly common practice to the members here.  Some including me not knowing why this came about but it is fun so what the heck?  Well, I called and spoke with the support staff at myfico to review reports that I purchased here before apping for my last amex and he mentioned different inquiries that would be scored as one. So, I said, "wait a minute? If I apply for a credit card the same time I am shopping for a car or multiple credit cards those inquiries could be batched as one?"  The idea he said to me is, the CRB looks at it as you are shopping around maybe for a car maybe for a balance transfer, regardless you are shopping so depending on how it is coded and if it is coded a chase inq for credit card might get lumped into and auto group of pulls.  This is why he said they will group inquiries into 1 so you are not penalized to shop the best deal.

I am happy to be enlightened by others experience and knowledge on the matter.

Here are my inquiries on my score report they have been scored as 4 inquiries Smiley Happy

nquiries that may be affecting your FICO® score

Total: 13 Times

Date Company making the inquiry

December 20, 2013Ally Financial
December 19, 2013xxxxx's Chevrolet
December 19, 2013Ally Financial
December 19, 2013Gmfinancial
December 09, 2013Chase Bank Usa N.A.
November 11, 2013Gecrb/Paypalextrasmc
November 10, 2013Chase Bank Usa N.A.
November 10, 2013Gecrb/Lowes Plcc
November 08, 2013xxxxxx's Chevrolet
November 08, 2013Ally Financial
August 20, 2013Cfna
August 13, 2013Barclays Bank Delaware
August 05, 2013Capital One Bank Usa Na

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Why apply in clusters or Spree for new credit or accounts?

Mortgage and auto loans count as one, not CC's.

I believe the inquiries have to be done in less than a 30 day window.  Not exactly sure on that time frame but I know for sure it's less than 30 days.

For scoring these may count as one, however in a manual review and depending on the lender, they may count them separately.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 3
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Why apply in clusters or Spree for new credit or accounts?

@Rhaeny wrote:

Mortgage and auto loans count as one, not CC's.

I believe the inquiries have to be done in less than a 30 day window.  Not exactly sure on that time frame but I know for sure it's less than 30 days.

For scoring these may count as one, however in a manual review and depending on the lender, they may count them separately.

+1 on the mortgage and auto loans normally counting as one so you can shop around. Multiple credit card inqs do not count as one. However, with some lenders if you apply for two cards in the same day it might show as one HP instead of two. Had this happen with my amex app. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.