Did you mean: 

Why are people so against store cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why are people so against store cards

@Anonymous wrote:
Lol except the VS Angel lol

I don't know about the card, but it's sure fun trying to get the popup.

Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 store cards I regret getting before I even got them in the mail...TJ Maxx $450sl Target $500sl and ToyrUs $300sl all HPs and with crappy SL. I wish I had those HPs points back from theses card I'd probably be in a lot better position for some real good prime cards. Nothing against store cards but for me whenever I get get that $20k sl card I won't need no more store cards.

Message 12 of 50
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

There is no "people against store cards," there isn't a group of haters who want store cards to cease to exist. Everyone has a specific situation. I am personally against getting one for myself because I can get much better prime reward cards from banks that are better all around. Everyone has a different profile and different likes and dislikes.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 13 of 50
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Most store cards are ugly.

My only store Card JCREW is a Black Card.. Nice and clean lol and classy looking lol

Message 14 of 50
happypill
Valued Contributor

I think store cards are fine as long as its for a store you shop at normally.  Some people have store cards where they have to come up with something to buy because they haven't used it in a year - that's pretty much wasted spend and probably isn't smart, especially if it's a store where the cheapest thing you can buy is $20 or $50 or $500.

Otherwise, I think store cards are good for utilization padding as well as AAoA buffering.  Some store cards are useful for other reasons as well.  I keep an Amazon card because I get 5% back on all purchases with a higher limit that through Sallie Mae card.  I keep a J Crew card because they are known to give big CLI.  I'd consider getting a Walmart Card (free FICO) and Lowes (big limits).

Message 15 of 50
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

With developed credit, AAoA is much less of a factor. In fact AAoA is most relevant when 'establishing' credit. And depending on lender, even then, AAoA can be less of a factor when weighed against other criteria (in terms of approval). With established credit comes the freedom to reduce cards deemed as insufficient to ongoing financial need. Remember your goals over time will change & evolve. As such it is expected that your need/desire for products that may hav been considered necessary or relevant early on hav since become obsolete. And in general, store cards will most often be those with the lowest limits in your portfolio.

Message 16 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

3 store cards I regret getting before I even got them in the mail...TJ Maxx $450sl Target $500sl and ToyrUs $300sl all HPs and with crappy SL. I wish I had those HPs points back from theses card I'd probably be in a lot better position for some real good prime cards. Nothing against store cards but for me whenever I get get that $20k sl card I won't need no more store cards.

Id like to add VS $250sl-really how much underwear can you really buy long term. i could have just used my barclay rewards. justice $250sl-no rewards at all. gap-$450sl-i dont need that much clothing from gap (im a big nordstrom and target shoppoer). kay jewler $650sl-but you have to pay 20% down (useless insulting line of credit). I wish I hadnt apped, taken hp's and then ended up closing them for above stated reasons. My thousands of dollars available credit on major cards is enough. Store cards just complicated things for me truthfully.

Message 17 of 50
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Id like to add VS $250sl-really how much underwear can you really buy long term. i could have just used my barclay rewards. justice $250sl-no rewards at all. gap-$450sl-i dont need that much clothing from gap (im a big nordstrom and target shoppoer). kay jewler $650sl-but you have to pay 20% down (useless insulting line of credit). I wish I hadnt apped, taken hp's and then ended up closing them for above stated reasons. My thousands of dollars available credit on major cards is enough. Store cards just complicated things for me truthfully.

FYI - Both Kay and Jared required 20% down for the very first purchase. After that, nothing was required and my credit lines have doubled every 10 months. I might consider closing them but I usually buy a watch or some other form of jewelry and end up using the cards.

Anyway.....

For me, it depends on the cards. I absolutely LOVE my Kohl's and Macy's cards. I shop at these stores regularly and the cards offer additional, significant discounts. I'm able to stack offers. Yesterday, I was able to use a 20% off targeted promo, $10 off targeted promo and some 'Kohl's cash' from a previous purchase. I'm a fan and will keep Kohl's and Macy's as long as my shopping patterns stay the same. For Amazon, the 5% back is great.

I have my reasons, but I really like the store cards I have.

More than enough credit.
Message 18 of 50
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@happypill wrote:

I think store cards are fine as long as its for a store you shop at normally.  Some people have store cards where they have to come up with something to buy because they haven't used it in a year - that's pretty much wasted spend and probably isn't smart, especially if it's a store where the cheapest thing you can buy is $20 or $50 or $500.

Otherwise, I think store cards are good for utilization padding as well as AAoA buffering.  Some store cards are useful for other reasons as well.  I keep an Amazon card because I get 5% back on all purchases with a higher limit that through Sallie Mae card.  I keep a J Crew card because they are known to give big CLI.  I'd consider getting a Walmart Card (free FICO) and Lowes (big limits).

that so much.  ive had store cards longer than i have had my regular/prime cards, yet i still shop at the stores i have cards at except khols but theres no af and its sd tbh. 

best buy-3500

macy's-3500 

walmart -5000k 

american eagle-2500

kohls-400

i use all of these, but carry balances on none of them except for bb because i have 0% finance for 18 months so i pay min and then pay off in full before that expiration date. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 19 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm not against them per se, I just think there's nowhere I really, truly shop enough to benefit from it. Unless you spend a ton of money somewhere religiously, it is not worth having the card IMO. You can often get the same discounts without a credit card. For example, I do like Kohls and thought about their CC before, but the free Yes to You or whatever rewards program emails me coupons nearly every single day....so why would I need the card?

If you're a devout shopper somewhere and the card offers benefits you cannot otherwise get, sure, go for it. But don't over rely on them. You do not need a  new store card for every major purchase like some people on here seem to think.

The other problem is they almost never grow the same way a "regular" card does. I get that you wouldn't want/need a 5k Kohls card anyway but I'm not cluttering my wallet with a 300 limit card when I have cards in the double digits that I can use. YMMV.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.