cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are some Amex cards harder to get?

tag
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Re: Why are some Amex cards harder to get?

Just relax the CENTURION BLACK IS NOW ONLY $1500.00.

This may be the post you were talking about I believe. First if you are literally using the card or cards for everything then your money goes nowhere and if you are smart it will be there at the end of the month to pay the bill. Second , I personally believe you have to run a minimum of two thousand dollars a month throught he card to acquire enough points to make it worth while.

I also want to point out that with cards like Platinum, one will benefit from a lot of perks that AMEX doesn't even know you are getting. Upgrades on cars, rooms , service at restaurants. I think it goes back to the old ugly , that if you need help , it can be hard to find; if you appear prosperous , people can't do enough for you. A financial secret hand shake. I even get better deals buying and leasing cars because they know what I carry. They know I expect more, so I get it.

HOPE THIS IS IT , GOOD LUCK TO YOU

I use the green card only for telephone, internet type transactions so if there is a problem it is easy to trace and my "big" card doesn't get screwed up.
I use the gold card (with my s/o as an a/u) for the things we do together that are split down the middle. This card is used the most and generates the second most points which I always apply to travel.
I use the platinum card as my personal do everything card. Buy a new tv, stereo, really big dinner out, weekend away and big travel costs. This card is used second most but generates the largest percentage of points due to size of purchases and doubling and tripling of points in special programs. I also get the best trip planning and discounts with this card. It definitely always pays for its a/f.
I use the blue card simply for credit . If I know for sure I do not want to pay in full right away or I do not want to extend the payments on the other cards, this is the one. And of course , more points.

I think if you are going to have a charge card and a credit card ; it is good that they are both contributing to the same point programs. This could be a major inducement for holding multiple amex cards.

I think you asked a great question. I feel like I have a great system and it has worked for me for many years. For this to work however , one really needs to charge almost everything to one card or the other to keep the points high.
Also , I have read a couple people referring to not being able to use the card everwhere. I just don't find this to be the case in the past fifteen years. Before that , yes to some degree ; but now only at mom and pop places. National and regional businesses , all hotels and airlines, rental cars, all stores , groceries , pharmacies ......even at my doctors and hospitals. There is one place; my p/t, and I have given him notice he will take it or I am gone. (I don't want to miss the points)

Good luck to all,
RP

Message Edited by notmyname on 09-24-2007 10:15 PM
Message 11 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@fused111 wrote:

I charge between 5-10K a month on my Gold Rewards card. 80% of these charges are from my employer's monthly traveling expenses. They reimburse me about 5 days before the statement date. I am currently earning 2 points for every $1 spent with Amex partnered companies. I covert the points into Continetal FF miles. Every month I earn roughly 15,000 points. 10,000 miles is enough for me to upgrade from low class seating to business class when traveling between Hawaii and Guam. This is well worth the $150 AF which by the way was waived for the first year.

Thanks, Fused. So I can see that they are great for corporate cards where you get reimbursed for most of the charges, and your employer lets you keep the points. That makes sense.

How about those of you who have them as personal cards? I think I saw a post from someone who used them for groceries and stuff, but I can't find it now. It just seems like you'd have to churn a lot of charges to make it worthwhile. And I'm still brooding about that black card at $4500/ year...

This is my personal card and not a corporate card. I pay the AF but who cares when I'm racking up FF miles at this rate.
Message 12 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Many thanks to both RP/ notmyname and Fused--that makes a lot of sense. My curiosity is satisfied, on this one, anyway.

I just paid off one of my cards online. Not quite up to the $2000 and up department: when I looked over this month's posted charges, every single one was for TrueCredit, myFico, a Quicken download to keep track of all this, and a $70 Samsung laser printer for credit reports. I think this is beginning to get a little out of control! seeya
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have any of the charge card, but I do have two of Amex CC- and I love them because they are the most professional, nicest, easiest and have the best customer service OF ANY of the CC I have gotten. When they say they are going to mail something it takes two days, when I call I get a person who knows exactly what they are doing. If I call and have just a trivial question I don't have to wait in que for forty minutes, and you get to a human super fast.

JMHO
Message 14 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I do not have any of the charge card, but I do have two of Amex CC- and I love them because they are the most professional, nicest, easiest and have the best customer service OF ANY of the CC I have gotten. When they say they are going to mail something it takes two days, when I call I get a person who knows exactly what they are doing. If I call and have just a trivial question I don't have to wait in que for forty minutes, and you get to a human super fast.
JMHO

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? AmEx should hire the three of you to write copy, except that you're all too honest for the profession.

If one day I get the courage (and focus) to move beyond the 3 bank cards and one store card I now keep track of, think I'll go with them. thanks again, AmEx hounds
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi John,

then i guess the fee is rolling.. My hubby just got the card and his fee is $85. I think that is what I posted. I knew it was not above $100 bucks.

The card is only $30 for someone that already has a AMEX card.  I don't know if they count the fact that he is on all of my amex cards.

But he wants to keep the card and then get another. I tried to talk him into converting but he wants the card.

Below is from the AMEX page about the
By submitting this application, I certify that I have read, met and agreed to all of the terms, conditions and disclosures linked to this application. I understand that the annual Card fee will be waived for the first year and is $85 ($30 for existing Consumer Charge Cardmembers), thereafter.
Date:9/25/2007

115,000 bonus miles will be awarded after your first purchase on the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card [in the increments of 10,000 as a Welcome Bonus and 5,000 for this special offer]. Please allow 8 to12 weeks after your first purchase for the bonus miles to appear in your Delta SkyMiles account. This offer is valid for first-time Delta SkyMiles Cardmembers only. If you already have or had any other Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express Account(s), you are eligible to receive only the incremental difference between the Welcome Bonus miles offered herein and the amount offered with such other Account(s). You may be permitted to have more than one Delta SkyMiles Credit Card account; however, you are eligible to receive bonus miles for only one Card account. Additional Cardmembers are not eligible. 22,500 bonus miles will be awarded to your Delta SkyMiles account in 8 to12 weeks for an approved Additional Card submitted with this application. 3The annual Card fee will be waived for the first year and is $85 ($30 for existing Consumer Charge Cardmembers), thereafter <SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="/ngaccsg/eacq/timeinclude.js"></SCRIPT> <SCRIPT> getLocalTimeStamp(); </SCRIPT>        
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

hauling,

fused,net  and notmyname are so right.  I am AMEX freak!I have 5 of those cards.  I have every card I want from them.  Now I am getting my credit lines increased.

I was not sure if I wanted to pay fees for any cards esp. after coming out of a bankruptcy.  Ya'll can feel me on Household, Orchard and the like.

While I have two charge cards the others are pure credit cards. With NO ANNUAL FEES!  The clear no fees at all.

My corporate card fee is waived because I work for Marriott.  As you can image a ton of us carry AMEX. 

Fused, notmyname, and Net give good advice and are very positive about AMEX.  I look to their posts for wisdom.  After being pre approved and reading their post I went for it.  I must admit I LOVE IT.  I get double points and those come in handy.

You can get so many great rewards from AMEX. While I don't need the Marriott gift cheques. I do love the different companies you can choose from.

Soon Brammy will be carrying the AMEX and we will be a big fat happy family.  Plus AMEX is the only prime card holder I have that does not give me drama about credit line increases.  They are very generous.

As long as you are truthful and pay your bills on time with them. No drama... FR can be passed as long as you keep it real! 

Status because I carry a AMEX card.. the truth.. just a little.. LOL  I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy popping down my AMEX platimun.  I am a girl that grew up in the hood, never in my wildest dream would I go from project girl from New Orleans to someone who carrys a AMEX.

I have learned so much and I only wish this forum was around many years ago when I stuggled. They teach you a lot in college but never how to manage your money or your credit!

GOD Bless you one and all for sharing the truth and your knowledge.  You are a tremdous asset!!!  I better stop before I start crying.. LOL

Message Edited by ragcajun on 09-25-2007 05:22 PM
Message 17 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
As long as you are truthful and pay your bills on time with them. No drama... FR can be passed as long as you keep it real!

Status because I carry a AMEX card.. the truth.. just a little.. LOL I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy popping down my AMEX platimun. I am a girl that grew up in the hood, never in my wildest dream would I go from project girl from New Orleans to someone who carrys a AMEX.

I love it! Good for you. And I'm glad you're still a ragin' Cajun. I have a daughter sleeping on a cot in a church office in Slidell for the next 9 months, volunteering on Katrina recovery before starting med school. Despite being a die-hard Vol, she loves it there, the people most of all. And she'd better bring pralines with her when she comes back at Christmas.

As for being truthful and paying on time, one of the many benefits of being ADHD is discovering that it's way too hard to keep track of lies, so I tend to be pretty truthful. The "on time" part has been my biggest challenge, but I'm finally getting on top of it. I knew there was another major AmEx hound out there; glad it was you. Thanks for the post.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling,

GOD Bless your daughter!  She is truly a great person to be so giving!  I know my people appreciate her for all she is doing!!! I wish her much success in school. I had family that did not leave N.O. before the hurricane.

I remember living there and having a ton of hurricanes alerts/warning. Some of us would leave and other would not!  I hurried up and went home to see my family in Baton Rouge!  Just raining would send the rats, gators and other critters into your home.  JUST RAIN!!  We were blessed that Kartina was not a direct hit!

But I did have some family in AL and MS that were hit!  But we are all good.  Thanks to people like your daughter. 

Call me Mrs. AMEX.. LOL

Message 19 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ragcagun, We had a bunch of the last evacuees come here to a local shelter--they were great people. These were the ones who wouldn't leave their pets, their homes, their fam. I was greatly blessed to work the computers linking them up with missing family on the International Red Cross site. Wonderful on-line reunions, over and over and over. For the rest of the world, if anything the magnitude of Katrina ever hits you, don't expect the government and the insurance companies to get you back on your feet. It's going to be your neighbors and strangers. There, but for the grace of God, go I.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.