cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I ever pre-qualify for anything?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why can't I ever pre-qualify for anything?

I have the same problem, no pre quals ever but my husband gets them and his scores are lower than mine! I opted us back IN at the same time so I know we are both available for it. I did get the shopping cart pop up once or twice but he gets it dang near every time!

Message 21 of 27
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

I have never been preapproved for any of my credit cards. I stopped receiving mail preapprovals as of 2 1/2 years ago and the last one I have received was from Discover. 

Now I do get the ones from the airlines asking me to apply for their credit cards but it's not a pre-approval offer. 

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same problem, no pre quals ever but my husband gets them and his scores are lower than mine! I opted us back IN at the same time so I know we are both available for it. I did get the shopping cart pop up once or twice but he gets it dang near every time!

Marketing depts guess at who is more likely to app.....their objective is to target 'profitable' clients in as CHEAP a way as possible...

So today offers can be very targeted vs the old days of spray n pray

Meaning nubby's profile may fit a sweet spot of

a) higher % of returned apps thus lowering the cost of offer to app ratio

b) worse profiles tend to app more often than better profiles (hence he may be more attractive as a more guaranteed ap than your 'better' profile)

c) worse qualified profiles accept worse terms and are more profitable than a better profile such as wifey

Again the name of the game is

a) reach 'em cheaply

b) reach the easy to convert

c) reach the easy to satisfy

doesn't 'sound' nice but the 'C' and 'D' level candidates are the prize catches because they

a) app

b)respond to the shiny offer

c) bite any bait thrown their way

and best of all 'might' become C+ or B level candidates 'payng' their way there WITH the vendor lucky enough to catch 'em early and cheap.....this is the new 

'get 'em early' game since the farming of college kids is over ....now you farm up n comers and create your own prime customers to ignore once they become less profitable but so complacent that they stay anyway....bottom line sub-prime is where the money and attention is, so that's where more offers lay...

Message 23 of 27
pip3man
Valued Contributor

OP if this makes u feel any better, I've never prequalified or pre approved for anything my entire life. I don't even know what a prequal feels or looks like... I already gave up opting in either so ur not alone.

Message 24 of 27
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Welcome to my world. I click on the "See if you're pre-qualified" link on any page and it goes immediately to the "We were not able to match you to any card, but below are some cards that you might like to get denied for..." page without ever asking for my information. Smiley Sad

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 25 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Why are you relying on prequals?  They're not a guarantee and you really should be selecting based on your needs/wants and not on prequals.  If you do want them then make sure you're opted in.  That's really all you can do.

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess it isn't a HUGE deal, but I have to cold app for everything.

Why is that a problem?  I haven't received any prequals for any of the 13 cards that I currently hold.  I do receive prequals and offers but none of them have been for cards that were relevant to me.

Message 26 of 27
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

How do you make sure you are opted in?

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.