cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I get any more Comenity Pre Approvals to work?

tag
Daare2dreeam
Contributor

Why can't I get any more Comenity Pre Approvals to work?

After hearing about the SCT I tried Simply Be and Marisota and they worked on the first try.

Prior to discovering this site I did some HPs for different places like Wal-Mart, Amazon, Victoria, Macy's (called for recon with no luck) and JC Penny. Walmart was approved and everyone else gave the 7-10 message or a straight denial. I was suprised to get Wal-Mart. Its just $400 but thats something to me for now.

Am I missing something with this trick? I can't get VS to work, Could it be because I applied with a HP a few days prior? No other Comenity SCTs work. I've read over several post and tried all the suggestions and no popups Smiley Sad. I'm sure my score is in the high 500s if not a little lower since my recent HPs. However I see posts about how easy it is to get some of these cards even with low scores and recent BK (of which I have none). I do have some negative marks but all some amounts. I have two secured cards with a few hundreds and a car loan with no late payments. I've checked all the browser settings and have tried Chrome, IE and Safari (also in and out of private & incognito mode).

Also i know Wal-Mart and Amazon are not from the same Bank. I would really love to get HSN and VS. 

Please help Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why can't I get any more Comenity Pre Approvals to work?

I got two SCT cards, and now I regret it - it lowered my AAoA, and opening the account didn't do much for my score either. Plus, some lendors see it as a negative because you opened too many accounts in the past month, year, etc. One or two is enough, don't go crazy, it's not going to help your score.

Make sure you are putting in your address the same as on your CR. I didnt get pop ups until I was 620-650. I think your scores may still be a bit low to qualify.

Message 2 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

SCT only works for some Comenity cards like Express, Buckle, J Crew, Total Rewards and a few others. Some of the cards you listed don't have SCT. Also, Synchrony backs both Walmart and Anazon store cards maybe you're thinking of the Amazon Visa backed by Chase.
Message 3 of 24
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got two SCT cards, and now I regret it - it lowered my AAoA, and opening the account didn't do much for my score either. Plus, some lendors see it as a negative because you opened too many accounts in the past month, year, etc. One or two is enough, don't go crazy, it's not going to help your score.

Make sure you are putting in your address the same as on your CR. I didnt get pop ups until I was 620-650. I think your scores may still be a bit low to qualify.

Well said. You need only one or two, and if you can get the Visa versions like Sportsman's, even better

Message 4 of 24
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:
SCT only works for some Comenity cards like Express, Buckle, J Crew, Total Rewards and a few others. Some of the cards you listed don't have SCT. Also, Synchrony backs both Walmart and Anazon store cards maybe you're thinking of the Amazon Visa backed by Chase.

Good clarification.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

More than likely your scores just aren't high enough to get the pop up for most of their cards.  Whatever you do please don't go crazy with adding low limit store cards from the SCT.  You'll regret it in the long run.  What you need to do now is let your existing cards age and work on whatever is keeping your scores so low.  I'd suggest visiting the Rebuilding Your Credit forum on this site.  Adding more SCT cards will not improve your scores.

Message 6 of 24
Daare2dreeam
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have been reading a lot of post from people saying that the cards really affected them. I see some people have like 19+ from Comenity. I just liked that it seemed like an easy way to get cards to stores I actually like to shop. 

Since my score was already  pretty low, I'm sure I'm taking a big hit from thw two that I accepted and the Wal-mart card being opened around the same time. 

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Work with the new cards you just got. Work on getting the few baddies removed and in 6 months add another card or two. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Daare2dreeam wrote:

I'm sure my score is in the high 500s if not a little lower since my recent HPs. 

There's your problem right there.  Low 600's is better to get most of the  Commenity cards.

Marisota and Simply Be are pretty close to being the easiest.

Overstock, Victoria's Secrets can both be gotten as soon as you cross 600 on Equifax.

Try every few months, you'll get them.   Eddie Bauer and JJill took me the longest to get of the store cards...I suspect you need like 650 for those two.  The VISA branded cards like Sportsman's guide will need closer to 700 scores for SCT to work.

Message 9 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

My wallet consists of accounts with Capital One, Barclays, Discover, AmEx... with my store cards being $3500 Best Buy and $4500 Nordstrom.  (Both can convert to MC/VISA)

I am really disappointed I built my credit profile without the SCT.

Oh wait... no I'm not.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.