Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I just close a credit card?

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Why can't I just close a credit card?

This is the second time in a week I've called to close my Barclaycard Apple. I realized that the 0% at Apple stores is only eligible in the first 30 days of receiving the card.

My first call, the rep told me that I could always call after I make the purchase and they will TRY to get me the promo 0% again. I told her I would think about it. And after thinking on it for a week, I decided I didn't like the ambiguity of the situation. I mean there was no guarantee. And at 22.99% interest, I need a guarantee. I have much better cards with much lower rates.

Fade to today, and I called and explained that the APR is much too high to carry a balance on it, and she explained that she could lower my rate to 19.24% (still very high, but better than before) and she said that the promo for Apple could ALWAYS be reinstated. So I decided to keep the card and lower the rate. I was all set to give this card the deuces. But they sucked me back in.

Why am I such a wuss when it comes to this card? I've closed 5 cards in the last 2 years because they served me no purpose and I was trimming the fat (so to speak). But with Barclaycard Apple, I just can't cut ties.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Why can't I just close a credit card?

Message 2 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

People have posted here before that Barclays will give 0% if requested on Apple purchases.  If you buy expensive Apple products that you don't want to PIF, I would keep the card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 5
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

People have posted here before that Barclays will give 0% if requested on Apple purchases.  If you buy expensive Apple products that you don't want to PIF, I would keep the card.

Which is why I keep it open. I'm sure eventually I'll need something new from Apple. 

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 5
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard is a prime lender, I would keep it open since it has no AF. If will help you with future barclaycard product. Have you check out the Barclaycard Ring? 8% apr and very cool community interaction. You can even vote on stuff.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.