Did you mean: 

Why debit cards are subprime =)

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Why debit cards are subprime =)

@distantarray wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Debit cards are really just part of the "Cash is King" view on life....

Very big +1 to the holds for things like hotel rooms too. I pre-ordered a cell phone from AT&T, and they don't charge until it ships, so I got an authorization on my cap1 for 317.99, and if that was on my bank account, I would be pissed because it is just like "Oh, you have another $318 there, you just can't use it." 

My guess is your with Bank of America.

They like to do a disappearing magic trick with my accounts in the past, that's why I fired them last week.

I would see the transaction posted immediately within minute or so, then it would COMPLETELY disappear, check my account on my cell Oh I got plenty of money, then come back few days later REORGANIZED. From highest transactions top to lowest on bottom

so if you only had $40 in your account and you purchased these in order

1. Movies ($7)

2. dinner ($20)

3. Gas ($50)

you would have 1 over draft charge.

Bank of America would reorganize it to

1. Gas $50

2. Dinner $20

3. Movies $7

so now you have  THREE overdraft charges.  

This lead to a $410,000,000 class action lawsuit. but that's still less than 10% of the money they stole from clients.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/bank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html

If you only have $40 and make those 3 purchases, then it's your own damned fault. You should know what's in your account at any given time. I dint condone them re-ordering the purchases, but someone doing this shouldn't be surprised to get hit with at least one. It's the price of living so close to the edge.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 45
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:
Hard pulls everytime you rent a car!

Adding to this facet, when you rent a car or hotel with one, the hold on the account is against real money and not a credit line.  

Omg this! I rented a car with my debit card in July 2011... I couldn't believe that hertz hard pulled me. Insane! Glad to have other options now!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
If you only have $40 and make those 3 purchases, then it's your own damned fault. You should know what's in your account at any given time. I dint condone them re-ordering the purchases, but someone doing this shouldn't be surprised to get hit with at least one. It's the price of living so close to the edge.

that's true enough but remember transactions would completely disappear from your online banking, and even through ATM machines giving you access to money that shouldn't be there.

I had items would post and disappear for 3-4 days. you would think if you go to ATM machine and get a balance inquiry or check on your cellphone you should be good. This magic trick was used to generate Bank of America tons of money with reorganizing payments.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 23 of 45
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Adding to this facet, when you rent a car or hotel with one, the hold on the account is against real money and not a credit line.  

Omg this! I rented a car with my debit card in July 2011... I couldn't believe that hertz hard pulled me. Insane! Glad to have other options now!

As far as I know, most SP now.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 24 of 45
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Debit cards are really just part of the "Cash is King" view on life....

Very big +1 to the holds for things like hotel rooms too. I pre-ordered a cell phone from AT&T, and they don't charge until it ships, so I got an authorization on my cap1 for 317.99, and if that was on my bank account, I would be pissed because it is just like "Oh, you have another $318 there, you just can't use it." 

My guess is your with Bank of America.

They like to do a disappearing magic trick with my accounts in the past, that's why I fired them last week.

I would see the transaction posted immediately within minute or so, then it would COMPLETELY disappear, check my account on my cell Oh I got plenty of money, then come back few days later REORGANIZED. From highest transactions top to lowest on bottom

so if you only had $40 in your account and you purchased these in order

1. Movies ($7)

2. dinner ($20)

3. Gas ($50)

you would have 1 over draft charge.

Bank of America would reorganize it to

1. Gas $50

2. Dinner $20

3. Movies $7

so now you have  THREE overdraft charges.  

This lead to a $410,000,000 class action lawsuit. but that's still less than 10% of the money they stole from clients.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/bank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html

One overdraft is understandable.  Three on what should have been one, that's criminal. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 25 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

it was a hardpull for me, actually come to think about it my brother and I both didn't have a credit card 2 years ago.... so why the hell did they hardpull me since I didn't even rent a damn car? he used his debit.... how the hell did they get my info....

Message 26 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

@somnipotent wrote:

One overdraft is understandable.  Three on what should have been one, that's criminal. 

yep pretty much, and this is why everyone should LEAVE bank of america since they're hurting so bad especially after buying country wide (company who gave most bad mortgages in the housing bubble) + losing MILLIONS of customers for being the first bank trying to do a $5 month charge to use your debit cards + reorganizing transactions for overdraft etc.

Message 27 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@somnipotent wrote:

yep pretty much, and this is why everyone should LEAVE bank of america since they're hurting so bad especially after buying country wide (company who gave most bad mortgages in the housing bubble) + losing MILLIONS of customers for being the first bank trying to do a $5 month charge to use your debit cards + reorganizing transactions for overdraft etc.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't had any major issues with them. While their CS isn't as good as some others, I don't think they're as bad as some people make them out to be.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 28 of 45
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

As far as I know, most SP now.

Not true. Budget car rental did a HP in March this year. It was what got me to start taking my credit seriously and begin rebuild.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 45
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

it was a hardpull for me, actually come to think about it my brother and I both didn't have a credit card 2 years ago.... so why the hell did they hardpull me since I didn't even rent a damn car? he used his debit.... how the hell did they get my info....

Maybe you were added as a driver.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.