cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did I get a pre-approval in the mail for a card I already have?

tag
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Why did I get a pre-approval in the mail for a card I already have?

Discover sent me a pre-approval offer for the Discover More, despite the fact that I already have the card. :/

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: Why did I get a pro-approval in the mail for a card I already have?

I got one too....shortly after I opened my Discover More card.....I think it just crossed in the mail somehow
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 2 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Why did I get a pre-approval in the mail for a card I already have?

@sakhalin070 wrote:

Discover sent me a pre-approval offer for the Discover More, despite the fact that I already have the card. :/

That is because these pre-approval, pre-selected, or whatever you want to call it carries no meaning. The way they work is that say BofA ask TU to produce a list of people that meets a generic condition (say never BK in the last 5 years). TU in return produce the list and BofA mails the offer to every person on the list. No actual credit check is done.

Message 3 of 7
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I have gotten 5 "Hurry, you are Pre-approved through December 2012" in the last 2 weeks and received my Discover More card before Thanskgiving. Guess it takes them time to update their system

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 4 of 7
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@sakhalin070 wrote:

That is because these pre-approval, pre-selected, or whatever you want to call it carries no meaning. The way they work is that say BofA ask TU to produce a list of people that meets a generic condition (say never BK in the last 5 years). TU in return produce the list and BofA mails the offer to every person on the list. No actual credit check is done.

Are you sure about that? I got a preapproval from American Express yesterday and I saw on my credit where they soft pulled me. I am fairly new to this so I am not sure how it all works. I got a preapproval from fingerhut and capital one and they are both showing as sp's. Citi sent me a preapproval but they have never checked my credit outside of the gas card I have from them. So can some preapprovals mean more than others?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 7
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I got my Discover in October... I got the alert about it posting on my reports yesterday.  I think thats probably why I was still getting the "pre approved' letters.

@rudy0720 wrote:

I have gotten 5 "Hurry, you are Pre-approved through December 2012" in the last 2 weeks and received my Discover More card before Thanskgiving. Guess it takes them time to update their system

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 6 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

Are you sure about that? I got a preapproval from American Express yesterday and I saw on my credit where they soft pulled me. I am fairly new to this so I am not sure how it all works. I got a preapproval from fingerhut and capital one and they are both showing as sp's. Citi sent me a preapproval but they have never checked my credit outside of the gas card I have from them. So can some preapprovals mean more than others?

No actual credit check is done. It would have cost them too much money to conduct credit check on every candidate.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.