Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did I get geclined from AMEX? FICO experian is a 725

tag
ccoaston
Contributor

Why did I get geclined from AMEX? FICO experian is a 725

HERE IS THE REASON THEY SAY THEY DECLINED ME

Amount of credit available on accounts (Experian)

High utilization of credit lines or insufficient utilization information (Experian)

In our estimation, the amount you have paid on your bank and retail credit card accounts over the last twelve months is too low. (Experian)

Ratio of the highest account balance to the sum of the balances on all accounts (Experian)

HAVE ONE CAPITAL ONE CARD AND MY STUDENT LOANS WHICH IM STILL IN SCHOOL. SO I DOTN HAVE TO PAY THEM YET.

FICO SCORE IS A 725!!! AS OF 6/30/2011

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHATS GOING ON?

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
CapitalOne - 1k
Barclay - 3.8k
Chase Freedom - 2k
Citi Bank diamond perffered - 5k
Discover - 5k
Amex blue cash perffered - 2k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Why did I get geclined from AMEX? FICO experian is a 725

You have a short AAoA is what I've gathered.

What is your util %?

You need another major CC before apping for Amex.

What CC from Amex did you apped for?

Message 2 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

First, a high FICO score does NOT mean a guarantee approval. FICO score only plays a small part of your approval.

What AMEX is essentially saying is that you have too much debt (low amount of credit available and high utilization) right now. AMEX felt that you have a greater chance to default therefore they denied issuing a credit card to you. Bring your debt down (pay off your credit card and student loan) and you'll have a better chance with them.

Message 3 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

Recon.   Have them to focus on all your positive tradelines.  Although you know AMEX uses its own internal scores, tell them you have worked extremely hard to get your FICO scores up before applying for credit with them. 

Message 4 of 15
n777ua
Established Contributor

I just had a successful recon with Amex, but it looks like our denials were for different reasons.  AFAIK, 10 years ago a Cap One and student loans would get you an Amex ( I was getting gold card pre-approvals when I was still in high school in the late 90s) but now, no way.  Amex has been looking for ANY reason to close accounts since the recession started, and they're only just now starting to lighten up a bit on their underwriting.  You could try a recon, but if you're still in school and don't have steady income or your income is relatively small (which it probably is for a college student) I'd just wait.  If you still feel you were declined by mistake, write a short letter explaining why, and send in proof of income, a recent credit report (last couple of weeks) that you pulled, and hope for the best.  And, be patient.  My recon took about 3 weeks.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 5 of 15
ccoaston
Contributor

I just got approved for a barclay for $3800. applied for the card just moments ago and got a 1250 CL then called the number and got it bumped up to $3800. Do you think if i call american express and tell them ive been workign hard to get my fico score up? Should I give that a try?

CapitalOne - 1k
Barclay - 3.8k
Chase Freedom - 2k
Discover - 5k
Message 6 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You can definitely try.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not unless you're happy with a $1,250 cl with Barclay.  Barclay will go N-U-T-S if you immediately apply for more credit with another ccc after recently applying with them.  Ask anyone here.

Message 8 of 15
ccoaston
Contributor

Re: Why did I get declined from AMEX? FICO experience is a 725

I just immediately tried and it worked. Why are Barclay people so nice and willing to raise you credit right after they gave you a CL. I just told them that I want to purchase a more expensive apple computer and they immediately raised it

CapitalOne - 1k
Barclay - 3.8k
Chase Freedom - 2k
Discover - 5k
Message 9 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Why did I get declined from AMEX? FICO experience is a 725

@ccoaston wrote:

I just immediately tried and it worked. Why are Barclay people so nice and willing to raise you credit right after they gave you a CL. I just told them that I want to purchase a more expensive apple computer and they immediately raised it

It worked with AMEX?  Congrats!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.