cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?

J/c, why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?  For example, my college alumni BoA MC was reissued as a regular BoA card some years ago, and I had heard at the time that they had stopped affiliating with other colleges as well, but never knew why exactly?  Also:  I did a forum search for "university credit cards discontinue", but couldn't find anything there, so I thought I'd inquire here?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?

I'm not sure thats true. I have a University of Florida Visa issued by Chase. It may have been that BOA discontinued the affiliation for the university... I think they still have university cards (my partner has the UNC card from BOA).

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?

They still exist.  Nothing was discontinued.

http://my.nd.edu/s/1210/myND/interior-2col.aspx?sid=1210&gid=1&pgid=17846

Message 3 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!  Smiley Happy  I guess it was just limited to just my own college maybe then perhaps...

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!  Smiley Happy  I guess it was just limited to just my own college maybe then perhaps...

They ended some affinity partnership programs with some colleges/universities but not for all of them.  For instance, the BoA UNC Cash Rewards (as mentioned by the above poster) is still alive and well as far as open applications go.

Message 5 of 6
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

J/c, why did MC and VISA discontinue university and college-affiliated credit cards, a few years ago?  For example, my college alumni BoA MC was reissued as a regular BoA card some years ago, and I had heard at the time that they had stopped affiliating with other colleges as well, but never knew why exactly?  Also:  I did a forum search for "university credit cards discontinue", but couldn't find anything there, so I thought I'd inquire here?

The relationship is at the discretion of the university.  I graduated from Georgia State University and our Alumni credit card use to be with BOA.  It is now with a local credit union based in GA.  

If I had to guess - it is probably like airline or other affinity products.  The financial institution probably gives the school a kickback for being able to be the exclusive financial partner for the school.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.