Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why didn't I do this before?!

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Why didn't I do this before?!

Noticed the variable APRs on my cards have been increasing over the past few months. Got bored today and decided to try to lower the APR on my bank cards. Didn't expect any luck since my credit isn't stellar but I was actually able to lower a few--including two which had insanely high APRs. 

Discover went from 23.99% to 19.24%

Barclaycard went from 25.99% to 21.99%

Citi DC went from 16.99% to 15.24% 

Chase wouldn't even take a look ("We review twice a year and WE will reach out to YOU"), CapOne and BofA didn't have any offers at this time.

Citi DC is my favorite card for its generous limit and the super-easy (and often offered) balance transfers--now I have another reason to be an even bigger fan. Smiley Happy

Never thought to do this before but I'm happy I went through the exercise. How often do banks usually entertain lowering APRs??

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Why didn't I do this before?!

Yeah Citi is known around here for being pushovers on APR decreases.  You can keep asking them and they'll keep lowering, sometimes only days later.

Chase, on the other hand, WILL NOT lower your APR upon request.  My understanding is Amex won't do it either.

Message 2 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Yeah Citi is known around here for being pushovers on APR decreases.  You can keep asking them and they'll keep lowering, sometimes only days later.

Chase, on the other hand, WILL NOT lower your APR upon request.  My understanding is Amex won't do it either.

AMEX will they're just really rare like a unicorn sighting. The same goes for Capital One as well.

Message 3 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The only two times I have asked Amex they gave me APR reductions. Blue is a 3-tier APR (a, b or c) rather than a range; I've had the lowest tier since getting the card 15 years ago. I asked to see if they would lower it, and they gave me an extra % off, although it is only for a year then it's back to 15%. When I apped for my SPG earlier this year, the computer gave me a 17% APR. I hopped on chat seconds after applying and asked for it to be lowered; they apologized and dropped it 2% to the lowest of the range. I'm 2 for 2 so not sure about the unicorn comment. Maybe I'm lucky or they just really like me?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people don't start to think about APRs until they start to fall behind.
Message 5 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Admittedly that comment is more anecdotal since it seems when someone posts on someone getting an AMEX apr reduction there's comments on those posts how they're never able to get one with them.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Noticed the variable APRs on my cards have been increasing over the past few months. Got bored today and decided to try to lower the APR on my bank cards. Didn't expect any luck since my credit isn't stellar but I was actually able to lower a few--including two which had insanely high APRs. 

Chase wouldn't even take a look ("We review twice a year and WE will reach out to YOU"), CapOne and BofA didn't have any offers at this time.

Citi DC is my favorite card for its generous limit and the super-easy (and often offered) balance transfers--now I have another reason to be an even bigger fan. Smiley Happy

Never thought to do this before but I'm happy I went through the exercise. How often do banks usually entertain lowering APRs??

How did you go about asking Barclays?  Did you use the secure messaging when you sign into your account?

I don't need to have it lowered.  I pay in full every month but I want to try and see what happens.

Message 7 of 16
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

How did you go about asking Barclays?  Did you use the secure messaging when you sign into your account?

I don't need to have it lowered.  I pay in full every month but I want to try and see what happens.

Attempted the secure message but they responded very soon after that I had to call in. The call took all of three minutes, no fuss no muss.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 8 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Fascinating. It took me 2 years and a hard pull to get my first CLI from Citi DC, and I've NEVER had a balance transfer offer from them (other than the initial 30 day one)..

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Most people don't start to think about APRs until they start to fall behind.

I don't think thats true at all.  I use APR as a way to gauge how a bank views me....  If I am getting approvals with the banks highest rate, its time to slow down.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.