Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I keep seeing Free Score - Walmart --- US Bank offers it

tag
anybodii
New Contributor

Why do I keep seeing Free Score - Walmart --- US Bank offers it

I keep seeing different posts about Walmart card and the free score. Why do people feel the need to apply for a card simply for the score. AMEX offers the score for free for some if not all their cards when you apply. This website offers it for $20, your bank can offer it to you for free. I just don't see why that would be a reason to app for a card?

Not to mention my USBank credit card offers me a free credit score from EX anytime I want and its nothing special...

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do I keep seeing Free Score - Walmart --- US Bank offers it

cause its free.  free beats $20...  I think you're right about one thing,  your US bank score is no big dealSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

To each's own, but I think I'd rather apply for a card I'd use either for rewards, building credit, or some other reason that makes sense...

Yes, The USBank score is provided by EX so its a FAKO, but its free and its close enough to the FICO I need for now. If I needed to know my FICO ( For a real reason like getting a loan..), I'd go to my bank ( USBank ) and they'd tell me for $0

Message 3 of 12
mark925
New Contributor

The USBank EX FAKO is the same FAKO score supplied with USAA's credit monitoring.  FAKO's can run +/- 100 points of your real score.

The appeal of the Walmart FICO is that it's a TU score and said to be possibly a TU04 score and NOT a FAKO.  I haven't signed up for the WalMart card  yet, but am itching to for the FICO.  The FICO alone would save you $240 a year if you bought your FICO once a month.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My US Bank FAKO was 40 points less than my EX Fico from AmEx.  I too want to app for the Walmart card, but I'm going to be removing myself as an AU from a 2 year old account and I dont need the hit in AAoA.  Plus I've got 3 inquiries in the past 5 months for new cards.

Message 5 of 12
Datx
Valued Contributor

Because certain CUs offers free FICO scores to their members. Before the free TU FICO score with Walmart was found, there are two CUs that you can sign up with that offered a free monthly EQ FICO score, and a free monthly EX score. Now with a free TU FICO from the Walmart card...dont think I need to explain further here...

Message 6 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

@anybodii wrote:

I keep seeing different posts about Walmart card and the free score. Why do people feel the need to apply for a card simply for the score. AMEX offers the score for free for some if not all their cards when you apply. This website offers it for $20, your bank can offer it to you for free. I just don't see why that would be a reason to app for a card?

Not to mention my USBank credit card offers me a free credit score from EX anytime I want and its nothing special...

I did not know my bank can offer a free score monthly, tell me more

Message 7 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@anybodii wrote:

To each's own, but I think I'd rather apply for a card I'd use either for rewards, building credit, or some other reason that makes sense...

Yes, The USBank score is provided by EX so its a FAKO, but its free and its close enough to the FICO I need for now. If I needed to know my FICO ( For a real reason like getting a loan..), I'd go to my bank ( USBank ) and they'd tell me for $0

You're right, to each his own.  You'll app for a card to earn rewards, or building credit or whatever while someone else will app for the walmart card to get their TU Score.  So each person has their OWN reason for app'ing for whatever card.  As consumers, we should be able to access these scores that control our lives for free anyways, but that's not the way of the FICO world.  So to educate ourselves and be prepared when applying for some type of credit we want to know where we stand.  So for many people, it does make sense to get your free FICO score vs some FAKO score that tells you and gets you nothing and build their credit at the same time.  Every card has it's purpose.  And if US Bank gives you a score for free without applying for credit or an inquiry, that's great.  That's the kind of information you should bring here.  Just like the information on the free TU FICO scores was shared for anyone interested. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 8 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If you are one of these people who want/need to pull a score the Walmart card is a great deal. W/o a discount here if you were to pull every month that works out to be a decent rewards card. If you don't pull scores then don't bother.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm going to apply for a Walmart card in 6-8 months after I garden a little bit.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.