cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people apply for store cards?

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do people apply for store cards?

Or even sometimes an occasional shopper!  Depends how much you think a HP costs (which varies with your situation and your credit app plans).

So I remember years ago being at the Gap and buying maybe $150 of clothes.  At checkout, they offered a store card which would give 20% of this (first) purchase.

Since I didn't know about HPs then, this was a no-brainer, using my 1% Visa card would give me $1:50, this would give me $30.

Today, now, I would make the same decision as I don't care about the hard pull in the next year.  If it was about to get a mortgage, then probably not!

Message 11 of 18
randeman
Frequent Contributor

For the past year, I had only a Macy's card.  I applied with them because it keeps my majors free for other expenditures.  I applied for Bloomingdale's Thursday and was approved, probably without a CR because the approval came so quickly that my computer didn't even have to "think" about it.  I won't use the Bloomies much as I only applied because I needed new jeans and I don't like any that Macy's carries.  Otherwise, Macy's would have been my only store card.  I have spent over $2,500 in the last year with Macy's qualifying me for their "elite" card which gives me 18 free perks per year, like gift wrapping, basic alterations, etc.  They also send me Star Rewards coupons which give me an additional 20% off most everything in the store (except for "high end" merchandise), even stuff already on sale, and I get $10 and $25 one time use coupons as well.

I loves me my Macy's.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 12 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@randeman wrote:

For the past year, I had only a Macy's card.  I applied with them because it keeps my majors free for other expenditures.  I applied for Bloomingdale's Thursday and was approved, probably without a CR because the approval came so quickly that my computer didn't even have to "think" about it.  I won't use the Bloomies much as I only applied because I needed new jeans and I don't like any that Macy's carries.  Otherwise, Macy's would have been my only store card.  I have spent over $2,500 in the last year with Macy's qualifying me for their "elite" card which gives me 18 free perks per year, like gift wrapping, basic alterations, etc.  They also send me Star Rewards coupons which give me an additional 20% off most everything in the store (except for "high end" merchandise), even stuff already on sale, and I get $10 and $25 one time use coupons as well.

I loves me my Macy's.

i also love my Macy's card. 

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 13 of 18
Kendro
Contributor

I think most store cards are worthless but I have a Banana Republic Visa simply because I shop there a lot and the majority of the time, you need to use a BR card as a payment type in order to get their sales such as 40% off.

I have no regrets in getting one because I get 5 points for every dollar I spend (amounts to 5%) in addition to all the discounts from the coupons and rack up hundreds of dollars in rewards every year.  Plus you get the same rewards for every store in the Gap family, not just BR.  I think my limit was $1000 when I first opened it 5 years ago but it has grown to a $5000 limit which is very respectable considering I only use the card for BR purchases.

Message 14 of 18
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

i have 5 store cards but maybe will be cutting them down 

Best Buy-Use this for rewards points and 0% finance deals of 6months -2 years 

Macy's- Multiple sales/star rewards/ and progams like thank you that give 10% cash back on a gift card to the store. 

Kohl's-Sales mostly but i usually just put 1 dollar on here (since its only a 400 limit) and paid the rest with my freedom which had 5% cashback on that at the time. 

American Eagle(i got this because i shopped here alot. no real rewards. besides not tying up my real cards limit) ive hit 40% off twice which is equal to 500 spend in three months (between myself and friends/holiday shopping)

Walmart- I got this for the free TU Fico, and i actually planned on using it. has grown that fastest for me from 800 in july when approved to 5k at the end of october. 

edited for spelling 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 15 of 18
Imua
Frequent Contributor

star rewards, 15% and/or $20 off coupons, special offers, thanks for sharing program for spending over the holiday period... and I have the Macy's Amex TL, so I can make purchases outside of Macy's. 
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think in my opinion that store cards are greatest because you get to save, exclusive inviatations, you know sale before non-cardmembers and if you pay in full theres no problem Here are my cards: 

Nordstrom Visa: 10,000 

Bloomingdales Amex: 10,000 

Lowes: $10,000 

Home Depot: $7,500

P.C. Richards 6,000

Neiman Marcus: $5,000

Saks: $4,000.00 

Lord & Taylor $4,000.00 

Proably never gonna apply for store again because I have every one that I need 

@Imua wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

@randeman wrote:

I loves me my Macy's.

Message 17 of 18
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

I had to rebuild so it was much easier to qualify for store cards than the major CC's.  My Macy's I really love as well because I have gotten some extremely deep discounts (like 70% off) on many items.  And plus if you catch something you purchased on sale for even less money within 14 days you can get that lower price too!  The JCP is okay because they do have sales on their linen products that I like plus you can get the $10, 20 bucks off certificates based on your spending.  Other than that the remaining are SD and just help out with util.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.