Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people apply in sprees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do people apply in sprees?

@etothejomegan wrote:

as opposed to getting the ones they truly want? Is there any benefit with either method?

Why would anyone apply for cards that they DON'T want?  That doesn't make any sense to me. 

My husband and I did our app spree on June 1st for the cards we wanted.  Using the same logic as others have previously stated, we wanted all the inquiries to go away at the same time and, to let everything age together. 

Message 11 of 21
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@etothejomegan wrote:

as opposed to getting the ones they truly want? Is there any benefit with either method?

Whose to say they are not doing the app spree for all the cards they truly want?

Can you really want 20 cards?

Some are addicted to credit.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 21
etothejomegan
Valued Member

I meant the ones they wanted the most. People can't possibly view all 6 cards they apply as equally important.

Message 13 of 21
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

@etothejomegan wrote:

Why would anyone apply for cards that they DON'T want?  That doesn't make any sense to me. 

My husband and I did our app spree on June 1st for the cards we wanted.  Using the same logic as others have previously stated, we wanted all the inquiries to go away at the same time and, to let everything age together. 

Come on now, you've been on these forums long enough to have seen the droves of people with "I apped for 26 cards, got approved for 21."... only to have a post about a month later "How does closing 15 of these cards affect me?"

It happens all the time. People app just to app a LOT sometimes.

Sometimes I have to wonder myself what goes through someone's mind as they app for store cards they'll probably use only once, if even that. I can understand from a building of credit, but does one person really need 15 different store cards to go along with their First Premier, Orchard, and Capital One cards?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

As many have said, I use the same logic.

- Get the cards I want

- Inqs fall off at the same time.

From my 1st and 2nd sprees, in early 2014 I should have no inqs on any of my credit report unless something comes up.

Message 15 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

@etothejomegan wrote:

Whose to say they are not doing the app spree for all the cards they truly want?

Can you really want 20 cards?

Some are addicted to credit.

An app spree doesn't have to be 20 card applications.  My recent spree involved three cards.  I got a CLI on one, second was a chip-and-signature card, third was a chip-and-pin card....   all of which I really truly wanted.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 16 of 21
sybo40
Regular Contributor

Aha!  So, the score is the score until reporting hits, right?

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For a signing bonus?

For example, one many not be a big fan of Cit's Thank you Program, but the Premier with 50k sign up bonus is nice.

Message 18 of 21
A_Madel
Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@etothejomegan wrote:

+1

Current: EQ 791 / TU 788 / EX 752 FICO's (MyFico, Oct 2012)

*** NFCU Plat | USAA CR Amex | PenFed TR Amex | BOA Gold | JP Morgan Select | Amex BCP | Amex PRG | USAA Plat ***
Message 19 of 21
SoCalBound
Contributor

My app spree was with my credit goals in mind:

1 of each merchant card. An Amex revolver and charge and with complimenting rewards structures.

With this, I should never get stuck by not having an appropriate merchant card, and in places where all merchants are accepted, I have alot of purchasing catagories covered by rewards.  I also got 0% financing options in case in the next 15 months the situation is needed.

Also two of the cards I got are good with CLI, which will benefit the other cards in regards to getting increases.

My new cards will now age together rebuilding my AAoA and when I apply for my last 2 cards in a year or two my AAoA will be affected less.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.