cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people care so much when issuer closes or declines an account?

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Why do people care so much when issuer closes or declines an account?

This is one of those questions that depending on your prospective or situation the answer can vary. Me personally I see credit in general as a wealth building tool.  I do not take anything personally to be honest.  Perfect example would be when Barclay closed my NFL card for excessive inquiries.  My response more or less was meh, as it really did not effect my goals, or overall credit health. Another example would be hard inquiries. I really for most part could careless about them.  In reality it more or less really only about 10% of overall fico score, and I am not going focus my attention on something so small. Prehaps when I am at point of trying to get into the 800 club that may change , or when I am trying to buy a home, But infact even with home situration I have been pre apporved with excessive inquiries , but then again lenders may over look thise easier for me then other as my overal utilization usually is less then 5% , and never is more then 10% .

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 11 of 24
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

This is one of those questions that depending on your prospective or situation the answer can vary. Me personally I see credit in general as a wealth building tool.  I do not take anything personally to be honest.  Perfect example would be when Barclay closed my NFL card for excessive inquiries.  My response more or less was meh, as it really did not effect my goals, or overall credit health. Another example would be hard inquiries. I really for most part could careless about them.  In reality it more or less really only about 10% of overall fico score, and I am not going focus my attention on something so small. Prehaps when I am at point of trying to get into the 800 club that may change , or when I am trying to buy a home, But infact even with home situration I have been pre apporved with excessive inquiries , but then again lenders may over look thise easier for me then other as my overal utilization usually is less then 5% , and never is more then 10% .

How many inquiries did you have when Barclays closed your account?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 12 of 24
toppers555
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

How many inquiries did you have when Barclays closed your account?

I believe it was 15 , but I was playing with credit limit increase button.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 13 of 24
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Well then I am definitely getting shut down by them. 46 if not more on TU. Should I let them close it, or be proactive and call and ask them to close it?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 14 of 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have an AMEX.  I've never had an AMEX.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In my case it was inconvenient when ge closed my consumer lowes account... it was embarrassing to find out at the store with a deep freeze on a cart at the customer service desk. Its all good; I paid cash and decided to never get another GE backed lowes account. Now I have Amex lowes which gives me 7% rewards.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 24
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
In my case it was inconvenient when ge closed my consumer lowes account... it was embarrassing to find out at the store with a deep freeze on a cart at the customer service desk. Its all good; I paid cash and decided to never get another GE backed lowes account. Now I have Amex lowes which gives me 7% rewards.

Did they tell you why they closed it?

Message 17 of 24
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Credit is a symbol of status, hence emotional. It is not an individual's worship of amex, or chase, or discover -- it is society's. If society didn't gawk at the csp, the bcp, or the it, then it wouldn't matter what kind of pedestal an individual raised these ccc up to. When someone's social status gets downgraded, there will be an adverse emotional response. To be quite humbly honest, when I got an Amex I felt like I had "arrived". And now that I have arrived in primeville, I don't really care if amex, or any other ccc closes any of my accounts -- for I have already arrived and I am here to stay. No credit card company can take that away from me; they can only take away my card -- as was said earlier, there are just too many prime cards for me to care much about one in particular.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 18 of 24
toppers555
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

Well then I am definitely getting shut down by them. 46 if not more on TU. Should I let them close it, or be proactive and call and ask them to close it?

You may be okay as long as you don't ask for a credit limit increase.  I was aware of them closing accounts before when customer with alot of inquries ask for credit limit increase. It was second time I putin the request in a 2 month period.  Also i barely used the card because of 500 CL , which may have been another factor in the closing. I think it had like a $0-$20 balance  for last 2 months..

Message 19 of 24
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Why do people get upset?

JMO, but I personally believe that I'm on a journey...and when/if a given creditor takes AA, it would feel like a step backwards, i.e. a slap in the face.

Frankly, from the threads I've read here, I find it difficult to believe that NO CC company has taken AA against me...I'm never late or over the limit, but frequently have multiple cards reporting maxed out...

I'm in the garden for 2013 and hope to have NOTHING maxed out by the end of the year.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.