Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people go Bananas over rewards?

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Why do people go Bananas over rewards?

I know rewards is good, but why do people act like it's soooooo good.

If I spend $10,000 in one month, 1% is only $100. 

Seems like a drop in the bucket if you make 120k a year ( I don't, but just saying).

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
samm90
New Contributor

Re: Why do people go Bananas over rewards?

Free money... discount card for everything
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 2 of 36
chwebb1
Established Contributor

It's free money. Also, you can sometimes get a lot better than 1% based on what you're purchasing. Discover has 5% categories, ShopDiscover (additional cash back at some stores), and Discover Extras. Citi has a similar thing to ShopDiscover. Amex has an "Offers For You" which are a lot better than 1% (and you also get the 1%).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 3 of 36
jdeleon
Established Member

For me, i see it as free money for my own money that i was spending either way. So no matter how minimal the amount, i am atleast getting something back. Plus, depending on your cards and the way you use them, you can certainly get higher than 1% back on certain things.

Message 4 of 36
donalduck

People care because it's free money. You're welcome to not care, but it seems like you're pretty actively trying to build into getting some of these cards yourself. Why are you interested in them personally? 

Message 5 of 36
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

FMC, I see where you are coming from and I agree to an extent. However I personally find it much easier to keep up with my spending using my CCs and if you have a variety of cards you should be able to get 2-6% cash back for everything. Its really kind of a hobby for me and I will take any and all rewards I get.
Message 6 of 36
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@Gatortrout

@Gatortrout wrote:
FMC, I see where you are coming from and I agree to an extent. However I personally find it much easier to keep up with my spending using my CCs and if you have a variety of cards you should be able to get 2-6% cash back for everything. Its really kind of a hobby for me and I will take any and all rewards I get.

^
This.

The thing is, if you're looking to get enough rewards to buy a PS4 in one month, you're going to be disappointed. But if you're looking to help create a bit of revenue where you'd normally have none, you'll be pleased. I've racked up over $300 dollars in rewards this year through my normal spending. Kind of a big deal. That's $300 I wouldn't normally have back. If you're responsible, and have an eye for making money in the margins, it'll pay off.

In other words, Discover is helping to pay for Christmas this year. Smiley Tongue

As Gatortrout said, it's totally a hobby.

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 7 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

If you know what your doing you can redeem for a much higher value than 1%. You may be able to get hotel suites or fly first/business class without having to pay the massive markups. Its not really worth the effort if you do not enjoy it though, since you need to constantly being monitoring changes in programs to maximize your return. Some people like it though and for those that do the work it yields a nice reward. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@Gatortrout

@Gatortrout wrote:

^
This.

The thing is, if you're looking to get enough rewards to buy a PS4 in one month, you're going to be disappointed. But if you're looking to help create a bit of revenue where you'd normally have none, you'll be pleased. I've racked up over $300 dollars in rewards this year through my normal spending. Kind of a big deal. That's $300 I wouldn't normally have back. If you're responsible, and have an eye for making money in the margins, it'll pay off.

In other words, Discover is helping to pay for Christmas this year. Smiley Tongue

As Gatortrout said, it's totally a hobby.

Well, with the right cards and aggressive risk-taking, using manufactured spend you can generate relatively large sums.  I do it fairly small by pro standards, and on one card I'm a getting a (tax-free) profit of about $820 a month.  Not life-changing, but useful.

Message 9 of 36
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

These rewards have let me fly to Europe and stay in nice hotels around the world

80k delta miles
85k ihg points
80k UR points
50k hilton

Those points add up quite quickly and let me and my wife enjoy vacations for spending money we were going to spend either way. I won't be using points until after we buy our next home and it'll be a nice vacation after closing and dealing with all the paper work.

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.