Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people use store cards?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Why do people use store cards?

I see people here always touting Walmart, Home Depot, Macy's, JCP, etc.

Why would you use a store card over just a Visa, MC, Discover or AMEX?  Do they give a discount with each purchase?  Coupons?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why do people use store cards?

store cards in general tend to be easier to get than non-store branded credit cards.

Some give perks - and what they are differ from card to card.

Walmart has a promo that you spend so much you get interest free for so long (not sure if its all the time or they offer it so often).

Walmart usually gets promoted heavily because its usually a pretty easy card to build up the CL on over time as well as with the paperfree billing you get your TU score monthly.

My wife has a VS credit card - she gets discounts, and promos every month and the points system are better than nothing. In the end its saved some money vs if she paid cash and never had the card - she was going to go and buy her undies there anyways might as well save a few bucks when she does.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 2 of 53
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

store cards in general tend to be easier to get than non-store branded credit cards.

Some give perks - and what they are differ from card to card.

Walmart has a promo that you spend so much you get interest free for so long (not sure if its all the time or they offer it so often).

Walmart usually gets promoted heavily because its usually a pretty easy card to build up the CL on over time as well as with the paperfree billing you get your TU score monthly.

My wife has a VS credit card - she gets discounts, and promos every month and the points system are better than nothing. In the end its saved some money vs if she paid cash and never had the card - she was going to go and buy her undies there anyways might as well save a few bucks when she does.

+1

Message 3 of 53
andre181
Established Contributor

Rewards, coupons, financing promos (0% for X months). There are lots of reasons to use store cards.

But if there aren't any discounts or financing offers, I would definitely use a bank card with some kind of rewards.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 53
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Macys was the first card I was approved for, so I keep it for the history. They also give 20% off coupons and free return shipping to higher teir card holders. Amazon was the second card I got. I only use it if I want to finance something for a year or more.

Message 5 of 53
Omri
New Contributor

The only store card I have is a Kohl's card, and I get up to 30% off of things with it, so I consider that very worth using, especially since I get pretty much all of my clothes at Kohl's.

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 6 of 53
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Promotions

Message 7 of 53
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I like the 0% interest on walmart & amazon....old navy & vs sent out really good savings alot and I like them because they are supposed to build credit line fast
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards definitely have their place in the credit market. Stores use them to get you to buy more as studies show that you are inclined to spend more with a CC vs. cash. They entice you into the store usually by discounts/promotions of some kind. For some, if you typically shop at a certain store, the discounts can add up. Or in the case with home improvement cards - they radomly offer 0% financing for longer than some CC's offer - also without the need to apply for a new CC to get the 0%.

I personally don't have any store cards yet, but if I develop a trend where I tend to shop at a store often and the rewards look good, I might app for one in the future.

Message 9 of 53
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I use them for the perks (coupons, discounts, points) and I always PIF! I have Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomies and VS.

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.