cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do so many people have American Express cards?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why do so many people have American Express cards?

I've always experienced top tier CS with them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 63
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I have my American Express because of the benefits that come along with it, such as extended warranty, purchase protection, the level of Customer Service I get from them when I call, and of course, I love the cash back program on my BCE. I'll likely upgrade it to BCP at some point, though.

To be fair, many of these benefits also exist on my Discover card. Although Discover is significantly more stingy with CLs. Some of these benefits are also available on my Citi Dividend card as well.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 12 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

I have my American Express because of the benefits that come along with it, such as extended warranty, purchase protection, the level of Customer Service I get from them when I call, and of course, I love the cash back program on my BCE. I'll likely upgrade it to BCP at some point, though.

To be fair, many of these benefits also exist on my Discover card. Although Discover is significantly more stingy with CLs. Some of these benefits are also available on my Citi Dividend card as well.

Many cards (especially Visa Sig and MC World) have these benefits, at least in words.   Some people experience (although not me) that it is often much more hassle, sometimes to the point that you give up, to get payouts from the Visa and MCs (lots of forms to fill in, followed by questions and requests for more proof) whereas with Amex it is usually much easier.   Exceptions both ways, but that seems to be the common view, FWIW.

Message 13 of 63
rlx01
Established Contributor

Customer service, protection, warranty, etc. AMEX is unmatched, IMHO.

(The CSP is a better travel card if you're travelling outside the US. The PRG is better for actually booking things in the US. I use my SPG for all non-bonus category spend since SPG points are worth more than UR or MR points.)

Message 14 of 63
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I see those as traveling cards mainly. I wouldn't even get their charge cards, they all seem to have fees. And I think the only card I'd possibly ever be interested in one day would be Blue Cash Everyday. But then again it might never be of use to me. 

They're not all travel cards and they don't all have fees.  AmEx cardholders don't have them all for the exact same reason as AmEx cardholders aren't all identical.  Either the given card fits their needs, they want it for image or other possible reasons.

As always, selecting a card (even among AmEx cards) is a matter of finding the card that fits the individual.  I have the BCP for its rewards -- was using it for gas but it's mostly groceries these days.  I have the TE mainly for backdating but there's no fee on it with Costco membership.  Don't rely solely on broad generalizations such as "AmEx is for travel".  Look at the specific benefits and features of each card to determine if the specific card is a good fit for you.

Why would you be interested in the BCE if it's of no use to you?

Message 15 of 63
rlx01
Established Contributor

"AMEX for travel" makes little sense outside the US anyway, unless you have the Plat (due to 2.7% FTF).

Message 16 of 63
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I see those as traveling cards mainly. I wouldn't even get their charge cards, they all seem to have fees. And I think the only card I'd possibly ever be interested in one day would be Blue Cash Everyday. But then again it might never be of use to me. 

Well it all depends on the individual. If their products don't seem to be attractive to you, then you probably have no need for it anyways. I personally like Amex for their level of service, especially when it comes to claims.

Why does it make sense to pay such a high annual fee in the name of good customer service?  There are plenty of companies that offer good service with fewer fees and better rewards.   The Amex marketing machine continues to amaze me.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 17 of 63
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Amex has some great features 

Warranty

Backdating 

3X CLI

Fraud Protection which I think is unmatched 

The other day I made 2 online purchases out of my spending pattern.

They jumped into action sent me an email and 3 calls to verify I made the purchases.

While 3 calls maybe a lot I'll take that for my financial security

Discover and Bank of America routinely call me about purchases outside of my spending pattern.  Discover will text me and let me reply back.  I don't even have to talk on the phone.  Plus, I don't pay any fee to Discover.

Other cards offer warranties.  But, how often do you use the warranty?  Are you getting value or are they selling you features that you most often won't use?

Backdating is the only perk that is substantial that you can't get with another company.  But, it is only helpful when applying for credit cards.  It's not going to be helpful for mortgage purchases.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 18 of 63
DomoNomo
Contributor

...because it's American Express!!!

Customer Services

3xcli

Backdating

are me reasoning.

Message 19 of 63
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Well it all depends on the individual. If their products don't seem to be attractive to you, then you probably have no need for it anyways. I personally like Amex for their level of service, especially when it comes to claims.

Why does it make sense to pay such a high annual fee in the name of good customer service?  There are plenty of companies that offer good service with fewer fees and better rewards.   The Amex marketing machine continues to amaze me.

What high annual fees? Granted SOME AMEX cards have fees but a lot DON'T the "blue" series of cards have a NO AF attached as do some of their hotel cards...but lets look at the fees on the Platinum (which has the largest fee $450 a year....you get a $200 automatic credit when you charge to your favorite (signed up) air line...so IF you fly and can use this for seat upgrades, food, movies, drinks, luggage fees and in some cases gift cards that brings the fee down to $250 a year....THEN there is the Membership Rewards that lets you transfer points 1:1 and sometimes bonus points for transferring it becomes NOT so bad a fee...again IF those things are important to you....the "free" cards still give nice cash back or really good travel points (sky). Protection plan is good, like Citi and some others...it really is whether you like that company or not. The customer service is LEGENDARY and seriously is some of the best in the business, I also applaud Chase and Discover...they also provide great customer service...I have been with Amex for over 30 years and can tell you they will MOVE mountains when you ask for something, they really do appreciate your business and show it....Chase is a close second with that and when things go wrong it is great to have a "partner" to help you and that is what American Express becomes when you are a member for a long time...now that does not mean much to those that "churn" cards just for points or bonuses and I see why they may have a bad word for ANY credit card company that gives them a "hassle" - it's all in the "perspective" of the "posters" here on the forum. To the OP good luck with finding a card that works for you. I just go to the websites and read about the card I am interested in then Google the card for reviews and then come here and ask for opinions. Hope some of this helped!

Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.