Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do so many people have American Express cards?

I see those as traveling cards mainly. I wouldn't even get their charge cards, they all seem to have fees. And I think the only card I'd possibly ever be interested in one day would be Blue Cash Everyday. But then again it might never be of use to me. 

Super Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Why do so many people have American Express cards?

killer_queen229 wrote:

I see those as traveling cards mainly. I wouldn't even get their charge cards, they all seem to have fees. And I think the only card I'd possibly ever be interested in one day would be Blue Cash Everyday. But then again it might never be of use to me. 

Well it all depends on the individual. If their products don't seem to be attractive to you, then you probably have no need for it anyways. I personally like Amex for their level of service, especially when it comes to claims.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Good answer. Smiley Happy 

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

IMO the fees come with the territory. I love my platinum, but Its a glorified debit card really (and thats exactly how I use it) , with perks, someone there to help me and fight for me should the need arise. I would never NOT have an amex in my wallet. But take my last vehicle purchase. I put 25k down on it, Instead of writing a check, I put it on my platinum card. Money that I was going to spend anyway, just by running it through the peice of plastic, just earned me a nice chunk of points to use towards getting stuff. Then when I decided to pay the car off, I ran 9k a month through the card and got the car paid off. Again money that I was going to spend anyway, except this way, it worked a whole lot harder for me. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Chase Hyatt 30k I B of A Cash Rewards 30K I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Chase Freedom 26,600 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I B of A Merrill Lynch 16,800 I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Super Contributor
0 Kudos

Amex has some great features 

Warranty

Backdating 

3X CLI

Fraud Protection which I think is unmatched 

The other day I made 2 online purchases out of my spending pattern.

They jumped into action sent me an email and 3 calls to verify I made the purchases.

While 3 calls maybe a lot I'll take that for my financial security

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

The BCE (Blue Cash Everyday) has no fees and is far from being a travel card, unless you consider extra reward points for gas being a travel card. The Costco True Earnings Amex also has no fee and isn't a travel card.

If you don't like Amex then don't get an Amex card, but they have more variety than you think.

Contributor
0 Kudos

I have no first hand knowledge of this, but an executive of a previous employer of mine told me that they don't accept AMEX from customers, because AMEX doesn't pay their bills.  Is this because of the high level of customer service they give to cardholders who file disputes?

Starting FAKO Score: 08/16/13 - EX: 702 EQ: 694 TU: 702
Starting FICO Score: 08/19/13 - EX: ??? EQ: 700 TU: ???
Lender Pulls: 02/28/14 - EX: 736 EQ: 716 TU: 748
Closed on 04/25/2014 - Loving it!
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

6.5% of issued cards are Amex vs 7.2% for Discover, MC 27%, Visa 36% and other 23.3%.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

@tony yes Amex takes the side of the customer by default and puts the burden of proof on the merchant. Also their interchange fees are the highest of any network and if the customer is issued a refund by the merchant Amex keeps the interchange fee. This is why a lot of merchants don't take Amex.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

'CauseAMEX is amazing, duh!
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.