Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you have the cards you have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do you have the cards you have?

My reasons in the order which I got the cards:

BoA-  Started as a secured card as my credit was lousy and I needed to start somewhere.

Cap1 Plat-  First unsecured card I got. Helped to rebuild my credit. Recently PC'd to QS for the added rewards.

Cap1 QS-  To help increase my overal limits (thereby reducing potential UT) Also has decen;t rewards for anyhting not covered by better cards.

Barc Rewards-  For the rewards on things I spend on most. (utilities, groceries and gas)

Disco IT-  For the rotating rewards catagories and the double cash back for new members. Also, heard it was a good company to get in with as far as CS and growth.

Chase Freedom-  For the 0% intro on transfers to reduce my balance on my Cap 1 plat. Also to use the rotating rewards during quarters where the Disco is not something I'd use.

I tried to make a point to only go after cards I had a specific use for. All of them are aslo to help build my credit for a potential mortgage.

Message 51 of 57
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Hmm lets see these are the cards I have that I can remember

Amex BCE: I was building credit and also needed a card for Costco anyways

Amex Everyday: I liked the concept and only card with membership rewards with no AF

Amex Hilton: Points for Hilton HHoners of course lol

Amazon store: was building credit 

Barclay's NFL extra points card: I am a huge Denver Broncos fan so i got it soley because it has a picture of the Broncos lol

BestBuy Store card: I shop at bestbuy

Bank of America MLB rewards: I wanted a Mastercard

Chase Amazon: was my first Visa/Mastercard and once again building credit and at the time the most general reward struture for amazon which I bought a lot from at the time

Chase Freedom: I always wanted it and the 5% categories was nice at the time along with a $200 CB bonus if spending $500

Chase Sapphire: Was a CSP which I got for the 50,000 UR bonus which i downgraded since I didn't feel the $95 AF was worth it

Chase Slate: BT card ...so I did a BT. Keep it now because of EX FICO score

Chase Disney: well If i need to go to disney and I like the design

Citi Simplicity: building credit 

Citi Thank you: Building credit

Citi DC: the 2% CB

Citi AA plat: AA points

MAcy's: IDK why I never shop at macy's lol

Gamestop : I shop there sometimes

American Eagle Store: I shop there quite often

GM card: I want a Chevy at some point

playstation: I buy games on PSN- basically get around 5% points and dont get charged for sales tax on PSN so I buy digitally for that reason on my PS4

I probably have some others but don't remeber them atm

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 52 of 57
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Some of my cards are not as useful as I thought they would be, so they are in the sock drawer. The first four listed are the ones I use consistently. I try to use the others (with the exception of Costco) on an occasional basis.

Discover IT – Daily driver right now for the double cash promo thru 6-31 and current category 5% gas

Sam's Club MasterCard – 5% gas when not using Discover gas category and 3% dining

Sallie Mae WMC – 5% groceries with cap

American Express Blue Cash Everyday – 3% groceries when 5% on SallieMae cap reached

Chase AARP – First credit card I was approved for after credit repair journey. Now in sock drawer. Use occasionally for restaurant 3%.

American Express Costco True Earnings – Second credit card I was approved for after credit repair journey. Now in sock drawer; using American Express Blue Cash Everyday at Costco; I was not offered this in lieu of Costco True Earnings – have never received any kind of offer from AMEX regarding the Costco card expiring. Now in sock drawer

Navy FCU Platinum MasterCard – Third credit card I was approved for after credit repair journey. Now in sock drawer. I may product change this to a cash back card before AF due. I use occasionally for a small purchase or utility bill.

PenFed Platinum Reward Visa Signature – Now in sock drawer. Use occasionally for gas 5%.

Neiman-Marcus – Oldest card which is normally in sock drawer. Use only at clearance sales.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 53 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom - Discovered credit cards at 18, banked with Chase, saw the sign-up bonus (I believe it was $150+$25), and said why not? It used to be my daily driver until Discover came out with its 2x promo. Will probably be my daily driver again once it ends, or I will apply for a PRG and shift my spending to that card. Will still however use it for rotating categories regardless.

UMCU Cash Rewards - I wanted to continue building credit and heard that my school's CU is lenient with approvals. Currently in SD, but I'm grateful for the approval.

Amazon Visa - Thought 3% on Amazon was great at the start of my credit journey, but now not so much... I am well stocked on Amazon GCs @ 5-10% now for this card to be of value in the next ~year... In SD. Might roll the limit onto Freedom. I believe the bonus was a measly $50 GC.

Discover It (Student) - Love the rotating categories, as with the Freedom. Current daily driver.

BCE - In with AMEX. 3% groceries is nice, but mainly like it for its looks. My most treasured card. Wish I had waited a week for the $250 promo instead of the $100 though...

DL Gold -  Mainly for the 50k + $50 bonus, but the priority boarding and free checked bag (have not made use of this yet though) has been nice. Only flown 1 RT flight since approval, and once I was allowed to check-in with the SkyPriority peeps and was seated in the DL One section although I booked economy... Not sure if the card has anything to do wit that. I will however cancel when the year is up in December unless I make better use of the perks, make use of additional Amex Offers, and/or get a retention bonus (anything as small as 5k miles will do).

BBR - $30/quarter bonus. Will put a small charge on the card every month and SD it when I receive in mail.

Message 54 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have 8.

Message 55 of 57
degs138
Established Contributor

CSP - Newest card, using it for almost everything until I hit the 4k spend bonus.  I will be using it for Travel and dinning only after.

Freedom - Using it for 5% catagories only

AMEX BCP - Groceries, Gas (when freedom isn't 5%) department stores

Arrival - Use to be travel card but now that i have CSP I'm going to SD this card.  I like the no FTF.

Venture - everthing that doesn't fall into a catagory

QS - Uber only

Wells Fargo - SD

Macy's- SD, waiting for this to be closed

Kohl's = SD, waiting for this to be closed

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 56 of 57
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Chase AARP- Restraunt /fastfood

Sallie Mae Mastercard- Mostly Amazon and supermarket purchase

Citi Doublecash- All purpose

Bank of America cash rewards- Supermarket

Discover IT- All purpose and/or dpending on catergory.

Penfed platitunm cash  rewards- Gas only

American Express  TrueEarnings -Gas only

Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.