Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doe Amex think I carry balances?

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Why doe Amex think I carry balances?

Jacetx, You took the words right out of my mouth. 😂

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 21 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ok, openG, that was hilarious 😂😂

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 22 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Longtimelurker, I can't stop laughing. Obviously there are some MyFICOers who have missed their calling -- comedian extraordinaire!

Message 23 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think Joltdude hit the nail on the head when he said by getting a BT offer they, the creditor , deem you to be a good risk. Never thought of it that way but it actually makes sense. If course they want to make money but if they feel you can be trusted with their money then theyll feel confidant you will honor the BT.

I read up on Op's Alliant deal and must say, if you are in college and are juggling day to day expenses you shouldnt really worry too much about rewards or better said chasing bonuses. When you are more financially stable yeah go wild, lol not really, but just continue to thicken your profile.
Message 24 of 29
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Wow... Just wow... How can you misconstrue this as an insult?

I always PIF and still receive BT offers from all of my creditors... You should feel honored.

They see you as a low risk client and want to get more business from you.

Either take the offer or don't, either way, you shouldn't complain about something that others would kill for.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 25 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Cashback & AJC
It never occurred to me that lenders perceive you as a low risk when they offer BTs. I have 3 Citi 0% BT checks that I have until July 5 to use. The promotion is til July 2018. Just crown me Queen of the Nile.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't take this as a bad sign at all. I used to get similar BT and lower interest rate offers from Amex, too. Rarely get them from my CUs. Though, I did have to call and unsubcribe from Citi and Barclays BT offers. Literally, Citi sent us (both wife and I) a mailer and email once a week for each of our Citi accounts. Generated way too much junk mail. After receiving around 5 Citi BT offers every week, I wondered if they ever did a SP to realize that we PIF. Again, not a bad sign though.

Message 27 of 29
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I look at Bt offers as a reward for being a good customer , sometimes even if we ALWAYS PIF it's nice to have these offers for big ticket purchases that you can take advantage of 0 percent and take your time to pay it off . I don't think you quite understand how exactly everything word in the Credit world as you are still very new to it all . But this is in NO WAY AN INSULT OP
Message 28 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I always PIF so I'm not sure why I recieved this insulting offer.Capturefee.PNG

I don't know if that spells a bad omen and if so, how can I make amex think I'm a responsible person who doesn't carry balances. Hopefully I'm never targetted for an offer like this. What factors would Amex think that I deserve that offer?

When a CCC sends you an offer like this it is a compliment to your good credit habits. Paying a 3% fee for a year or so of borrowing means they think there is a pretty good chance they can trust you to pay it back. 

An insult is promoting a 3% fee to BT at a 12% - 20% APR in addition to the 3% fee. 

Personally, I favor those card companies who consistently offer me these kinds of BT terms, because it is low cost borrowing. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.