Re: Why does CITI hate me

Yea i was definitely blowing off steam and frustration
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 21 of 41
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I can say that too... They declined me for everything so far too lol
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck, the only Citi card I applied for I was hit with an FR so I simply passed.  A couple days after that is when I got my JPM Ritz.

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understand your frustration! As others have posted in this thread there are lenders that appear to not like our risk profile. American Express and Bank of America won't allow me in. It used to be Citi and they have always kept me on a short rope. Also Wells Fargo would let me in as long as all debt products were secured. What it is in our credit profiles is beyond my knowledge but, it is there for sure.
Message 24 of 41
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Citi is annoying. 

But ya know what...I don't think I'm missing out on anything really. I have one card from most of the majors now (BoA, Chase, Cap1, Barclays, AMEX, Discover) so I think I might be ok.

My baddies (all of like 2 of them at this point in my rebuilding) are old too...and paid. They don't even like that. Whatever.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@injustifiiable wrote:

Citi is annoying. 

But ya know what...I don't think I'm missing out on anything really. I have one card from most of the majors now (BoA, Chase, Cap1, Barclays, AMEX, Discover) so I think I might be ok.

My baddies (all of like 2 of them at this point in my rebuilding) are old too...and paid. They don't even like that. Whatever.

Great card line up. No sweat, you in a good place.

Message 26 of 41
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have done nothing wrong to these guys yet they just deny deny deny. I have had a home depot card with them for 5 years, perfect payment history and they can't even give me a CLI from the measly $500 starter limit. 

I apply for a Best Buy card and nope. DENIED! Even on Recon. I applied about 6 months ago for a CITI Hilton card and was denied for that as well.

While chase just gave me a new southwest card with a 13k limit and I just got my second barclays (Sallie Mae) with a $5000 limit and even a lowes card (the competitor to home depot) for 1k reconned to 12.5k.

Why is Citi like this?

I think it's very much a YMMV situation. But there are a few rules of thumb:

1. Citi does not like lots of new accounts or INQ's.

It looks like you have quite a few new accounts. This may be spooking Citi. This along with lots of new INQ's may be causing Citi's algorithm to deny you.

2. For some people, they seem to be afraid of thin credit profiles.

This is very much a YMMV thing. My AAoA is just over 2 years and they seem to like me just fine. But I have seen this as a reason for some people's denials by Citi.

3. Citi appears to treat Citi-Backed cards differently from just Citi Cards.

You said you're apping for Best Buy and Hilton. And you have a Home Depot card. But none of these cards are actual Citi cards--they're merely backed by Citi. Thus, you lack the same kind of credit history with them if you had an actual Citi Card. It's very possible that the algorithm to get cards merely backed by Citi have different req's under Citi's algorithm.

My advice would be to keep an eye on Citi's Prequal site. Get your foot in the door by apping for an actual Citi Card--not just one backed by Citi. 

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

I have done nothing wrong to these guys yet they just deny deny deny. I have had a home depot card with them for 5 years, perfect payment history and they can't even give me a CLI from the measly $500 starter limit. 

I apply for a Best Buy card and nope. DENIED! Even on Recon. I applied about 6 months ago for a CITI Hilton card and was denied for that as well.

While chase just gave me a new southwest card with a 13k limit and I just got my second barclays (Sallie Mae) with a $5000 limit and even a lowes card (the competitor to home depot) for 1k reconned to 12.5k.

Why is Citi like this?

It's the chargeoff.

Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont sweat it 

Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArmyVietVet wrote:
Understand your frustration! As others have posted in this thread there are lenders that appear to not like our risk profile. American Express and Bank of America won't allow me in. It used to be Citi and they have always kept me on a short rope. Also Wells Fargo would let me in as long as all debt products were secured. What it is in our credit profiles is beyond my knowledge but, it is there for sure.

With your scores, I'd say BOA and Amex are idiots. In fact, I know Amex is idiots since they gave me a card. Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.