cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

Why is it that Discover requires you to "sign up" every 3 months for the current 5% rebate categories? 

Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

This is going to be an extremely wild guess but, I think the reason behind that is the same as the reason behind the mail-in rebate. Not everyone "wants" or "knows" or "feel like" getting a mail-in rebate, as such, the companies save some cash. Samewise, Discover is a great company and many people might be with them just because of that and might not be totally interested on the 5% cashback. If that's the case, Discover is saving some "cash" too taken that they do not sign up.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

Yes, absent another reasonable explanation, that would be the remaining efault.  But before I assumed that default, I wanted to find out if anyone had an alternative theory or explanation.

Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is going to be an extremely wild guess but, I think the reason behind that is the same as the reason behind the mail-in rebate. Not everyone "wants" or "knows" or "feel like" getting a mail-in rebate, as such, the companies save some cash. Samewise, Discover is a great company and many people might be with them just because of that and might not be totally interested on the 5% cashback. If that's the case, Discover is saving some "cash" too taken that they do not sign up.

+1

Sounds about right, to me anyways.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another minor reason might be that it allows the customer to confirm or update their current email address ...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.