Senior Contributor
txjohn

Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

Why is it that Discover requires you to "sign up" every 3 months for the current 5% rebate categories? 

:smileyindifferent:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Valued Member
latindane

Re: Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

[ Edited ]

This is going to be an extremely wild guess but, I think the reason behind that is the same as the reason behind the mail-in rebate. Not everyone "wants" or "knows" or "feel like" getting a mail-in rebate, as such, the companies save some cash. Samewise, Discover is a great company and many people might be with them just because of that and might not be totally interested on the 5% cashback. If that's the case, Discover is saving some "cash" too taken that they do not sign up.

Starting Score: 713
Current Score: 724
Goal Score : 745

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
txjohn

Re: Why does Discover make you "sign up" for the 5% cash back categories every 3 months?

Yes, absent another reasonable explanation, that would be the remaining efault.  But before I assumed that default, I wanted to find out if anyone had an alternative theory or explanation.

:smileyhappy:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

latindane wrote:

This is going to be an extremely wild guess but, I think the reason behind that is the same as the reason behind the mail-in rebate. Not everyone "wants" or "knows" or "feel like" getting a mail-in rebate, as such, the companies save some cash. Samewise, Discover is a great company and many people might be with them just because of that and might not be totally interested on the 5% cashback. If that's the case, Discover is saving some "cash" too taken that they do not sign up.

+1

Sounds about right, to me anyways.  :smileyhappy:

Established Contributor
Revike

Another minor reason might be that it allows the customer to confirm or update their current email address ...

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+