cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Amazon Prime store card have a magnetic stripe?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does the Amazon Prime store card have a magnetic stripe?

@Anonymous wrote:

No,

Amazon will eventually become a payment processor at certain local stores so you can pay with an amazon card where "Amazon payment" is accepted like paypal is now at Macy's for example like an additional way to pay instead of other major cards.

That would be pretty cool actually.... As long as I can get my 5% back on purchases below $149, or a choice of special financing OR the 5% back on purchases above that amount. Besides, why not put a chip in the card to go along with it if the company plans on having a pay in store option? Amazon would be shooting themselves in the foot. 

Message 11 of 18
physicist82
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure of how much of a difference this makes, but is it possible they have a stripe because they have a master card version as well? My Amazon mastercard has a chip and a stripe. 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@physicist82 wrote:

I'm not sure of how much of a difference this makes, but is it possible they have a stripe because they have a master card version as well? My Amazon mastercard has a chip and a stripe. 

MC, too?  I have the Visa, but it's from a different bank.

I would think it has more to do with standardisation and the fact that all the other Synch cards have stripes, and they use the same basic stock.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@physicist82 wrote:

I used to have one, it's a Visa Signature 

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

a Rhodes Scholar once stated that it is for use in a third world country like Africa

mountaindewvoltage wrote:

I recieved my Amazon Prime Store Card today in the mail, set it up for online payments and everything...

But I noticed it has a magnetic stripe; however, you can't use it in any stores. So why would it have a magnetic stripe? Any ideas?

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recieved my Amazon Prime Store Card today in the mail, set it up for online payments and everything...

But I noticed it has a magnetic stripe; however, you can't use it in any stores. So why would it have a magnetic stripe? Any ideas?

Store cards have magnetic stripes?! If they do, it's something I just learned. Oh well, I know my BBR from Bank of America has those stripes...as well as the rest of my cards. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

Lol well that is different. Who knows maybe it can be used at locations?

Message 17 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No idea.  Ask Synchrony.  Why even issue a card that isn't currently used in B&M's?

@physicist82 wrote:

The Amazon Prime Store Card is not a MasterCard.  It is a store card.  The Chase Amazon.com card is on the major payment networks but it is not the same card.  The store card is issued by Synchrony.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.