cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I get pre-qualified offers anymore?

tag
gkinter
New Contributor

Why don't I get pre-qualified offers anymore?

Hey there,

I used to be prequalified for most of the cards. I am looking for a new credit card but I am afraid to apply for it anywhere because I am afraid It will be denied and it will just hurt my credit... My current scores are:

741 (experian)

My credit cards:

Chase Sapphire 300/9000

My wife got me a card for her Chase Sapphire 0/8000

Capital One 0/500

Syncrony 0/4000 ( It was a sleep expert bed but payed it back already)

Bealls 0/300

Best Buy 2500/3500.

I try to get a Venture card from Capital One or a BCE from Amex but I am not prequalified anymore like I used to be with them. 

Is my credit score that bad? Or anyone have any idea what happened?

I received most of the cards this year except the Capital One by the way. 

Thanks for the help! 

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why don't I get pre-qualified offers anymore?

Unless your scores/report changed that much recently it wouldn't affect prequal offers. They probably just stopped sending mailers for the promotions you were being offered at the time. You should try the online prequalifiers and see if the ones you want have an offer. And even so, prequalifying isnt everything. Plenty of people get cards without them, and plenty of people get denied even with them.
Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Prequals doesnt necessarily mean the beginning or the end for someone. Not everyone will have that. Perhaps you opted out somewhere or froze any of your reports?.

Im not dure why you would be afraid of not getting approved when your scores are really good. I know scores arent everything but with scores in the mid 700's i would think you are golden. Just be sure to pick a card you want and can use and in sure youll be ok.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, when you say you aren't getting pre-qualified offers currently, are you talking about in your snail mailbox or when you go to CC web sites and search for offers?  Or both?  My scores are very similar to yours at 749/763/750 and I currently get nothing in my mailbox and haven't since my scores got above about 710-720 maybe 6 months back.  Prior to that, I was getting offers in the mail at least a few times a week.  My girlfriend has scores in the 700-710 range and gets an offer in the mailbox just about every day... mostly Discover, CO, Chase, BoA, WF, Citi.  If I go to CC web sites though and search for offers, I have pre-quals everywhere, even with Chase when I'm sitting at 7/24 currently.

Message 4 of 13
gkinter
New Contributor

I don't receive them anymore online. Anyway, I just applied for a Capital One Venture and did not get instant approval. They asked 7-10 days to review my application. I hope I can still get it. 

Message 5 of 13
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Most people want pre-qual to get better offers than publicly available. For e.g. PRG is regularly 25K MR but some people got 75K (i think) at some point. Especially with AmEx you want the best possible offer rather than generic one.

I dont get any offers eithe and my scores are all 750+ ( other than Disco which I get when I pre-qual. Just got 11.24 APR on Miles card)
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gkinter wrote:

Hey there,

I used to be prequalified for most of the cards. I am looking for a new credit card but I am afraid to apply for it anywhere because I am afraid It will be denied and it will just hurt my credit... My current scores are:

741 (experian)

My credit cards:

Chase Sapphire 300/9000

Capital One 0/500

Bealls 0/300

Best Buy 2500/3500.

I try to get a Venture card from Capital One or a BCE from Amex but I am not prequalified anymore like I used to be with them. 

Thanks for the help! 

I still get ONLY credit one card invites LMAO

Message 7 of 13
Samac
Regular Contributor

I only get credit one and the capital one special card for people with poor credit prequalified in the mail! 

I really don't understand it... I have prime cards as is....

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You overall utilization may be at 11% but your one account with BestBuy is at a high 71% and this could triggering your denial. I've read generally that each individual account should be under 30% utilization to increase your chances for solid prequalifies.  

I may be completely incorrect, this is only a theory. 👍

Message 9 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@gkinter wrote:

Hey there,

741 (experian)

My credit cards:

Chase Sapphire 300/9000

Capital One 0/500

Bealls 0/300

Best Buy 2500/3500.

Thanks for the help! 

I used to get pre-qual for Chase cards but not anymore.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.