Established Contributor
eagle2013

Why don't all credit card issuers backdate?

Seems to be a good way instill customer loyalty. Why this is something unique to AMEX?

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
improvingmycredit

Re: Why don't all credit card issuers backdate?

[ Edited ]

eagle2013 wrote:

Seems to be a good way instill customer loyalty. Why this is something unique to AMEX?

Hey eagle2013!

Amex was grand fathered in before the new laws took affect.  They have been issuing charge cards to individuals since 1958 and actual letters of credit since 1891.  The saying, membership has it's privileges isn't just a saying.  Because of the grandfathering of the laws, once a member, always a member holds true even today.  So if you became a member say in 1989 (or any date for that matter) and can prove it, you can be backdated to your original membership date and it is reported as such.  This is my understanding of it all as I read it.  Very unique benefit indeed. :smileyhappy:

edit for grammar and missing wording .  iPhone 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 798, EX 780, TU 787 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K, TotalRewards 18K

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
enharu

Because it would defeat the purpose of even keeping track of account age.

During a manual review, analysts / underwriters can also see the actual age of the account by reviewing payment history. If every lender is to backdate, lenders will then work around this by simply reviewing payment history. That way, backdating is essentially useless as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
improvingmycredit

[ Edited ]

enharu wrote:

During a manual review, analysts / underwriters can also see the actual age of the account by reviewing payment history. If every lender is to backdate, lenders will then work around this by simply reviewing payment history. That way, backdating is essentially useless as well.

True all this but first and foremost- they legally can't backdate.  Only Amex is allowed to by law.  I suspect they would if they could.  :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 798, EX 780, TU 787 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K, TotalRewards 18K

Valued Contributor
Gunnar419

improvingmycredit wrote:

enharu wrote:

True all this but first and foremost- they legally can't backdate.  Only Amex is allowed to by law.  I suspect they would if they could.  :smileyhappy:

Sorry, improving, but could you tell more about that law? I tried looking up Amex grandfathering, but my google-fu isn't very good this morning.

Frequent Contributor
ForMyBiz

Gunnar419 wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

enharu wrote:

Sorry, improving, but could you tell more about that law? I tried looking up Amex grandfathering, but my google-fu isn't very good this morning.

+1 fascinated by this too.  Certainly Amex isn't the oldest bank issuing credit, so I'm curious about how they got the go ahead to backdate.

Contributor
JeffM

Why do you feel entitled to a backdate?

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Love their back dating. Can you fathom how many "members" have no idea they do it??!
Established Contributor
ibmrad7

JeffM wrote:

Why do you feel entitled to a backdate?

Don't think anyone is claiming entitlement here, it's  a genuine question: if one lender can do it, why can't others???

Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 692
Goal Score: 750+

Super Contributor
longtimelurker

Gunnar419 wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

enharu wrote:

I remember reading this in an earlier post, and was deeply suspicious then.   AFAIK, fair credit laws are all about being anti-discrimination, and would not descend into detail about which issuers could and could not update an entry in credit records held by private entities.   You need to be able to see the record once a year at no cost (more in some states), have a dispute mechanism, and the scoring and decisions of issuers must be unbiased.   Pretty sure backdating isn't part of this.    Same with HP/SP differences, some issuers choose to do HP, others SP, whereas the clear intent of recording inquiries is that all inqs should be visible.

Now, I don't know why some other issuers don't, but I doubt if it law.  Possibly some arrangement with CRAs.

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi TY Preferred, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 841 (Jul)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+