cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't other banks issue Discover anymore?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't other banks issue Discover anymore?

Most banks issue Visa and/or MC. Some (FNBO, USAA, etc.) issue Amex. I know there used to be a Walmart Disco issued by GE. But why doesn't anybody issue Discos anymore besides Disco?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why don't other banks issue Discover anymore?

Comenity Capital/ True Value issue a Discover card... It's got pretty good rewards if that is your preferred hardware store 3% on True Value purchases 2% on gas/grocery 1% on everything else. They also offer deferred financing on $299+

That is the only cobranded Disco I know of.
Message 2 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Most banks issue Visa and/or MC. Some (FNBO, USAA, etc.) issue Amex. I know there used to be a Walmart Disco issued by GE. But why doesn't anybody issue Discos anymore besides Disco?

AFAIK, True Value Discover is the only co-branded card left using the Discover payment network.   I'm guessing Discover isn't offering as good of a deal as MC is, since they seem to be growing in the cobrand market.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AFAIK, True Value Discover is the only co-branded card left using the Discover payment network.   I'm guessing Discover isn't offering as good of a deal as MC is, since they seem to be growing in the cobrand market.  

And as it is the case that Discover is still slightly less accepted here than V/MC, the deal probably has to be a little better

Message 4 of 15
BirchBarlow
Contributor

Didn't Discover used to be owned by Sears?  IIRC, Sears sold Discover to a bank so Discover went from being a payment network to being a bank, so there was less need for them to make agreements with other banks.

Message 5 of 15
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

FNBO has a co-branded Discover card also

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

If my memory serves me right, FNBO converted the FNBO Discover Cards to FNBO American Express during 2016.

Message 7 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

If my memory serves me right, FNBO converted the FNBO Discover Cards to FNBO American Express during 2016.

Yup, its no more it was officially completed Jan 2017. I ended up with 2 AMEX with FNBO and I torched one of them.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Yup, its no more it was officially completed Jan 2017. I ended up with 2 AMEX with FNBO and I torched one of them.

That wasn't too long a run then https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2011/First-National-Bank-Of-Omaha-Launches-Discover-Card/default.aspx

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

Didn't Discover used to be owned by Sears?  IIRC, Sears sold Discover to a bank so Discover went from being a payment network to being a bank, so there was less need for them to make agreements with other banks.

Sears purchased Greenwood Trust Company, a bank in Delaware, primarily so that they could issue the new Discover Card (strange since Sears had their own bank, Sears National Bank that issued the store card and later the MasterCard). Greenwood Trust Company was aligned with Dean Witter (also owned by Sears), Dean Witter merged with Morgan Stanley which renamed Greenwood Trust Company to Discover Bank. Discover Bank was then spun off on its own to become an independant company. 

I have my dad's old 1986 Discover Card. It has an embossed Sears Tower on it and in the background it repeats "Sears Financial Network." One of the reasons I chose the Dawn of Discover design for my Discover More card; it looks very similar to the original 1986 Discover Card. That man never used that card. I remember growing up in the 80s and hearing my poor mom asking cashiers, "do you take the Discover Card?" LOL They have come a long way! 

It is really sad to see what has happened to Sears. As a young Gen X (missed being a MIllennial by a few years Smiley Happy ) I have seen a lot of these changes first hand. If this happened to Sears (mostly through really, really bad management), maybe Walmart will someday meet its fate.  Sorry, got off topic there. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.