Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't some places accept AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why don't some places accept AMEX?

@CreditScholar wrote:

About 80% of the places around here don't take amex, and nobody takes Discover whatsoever.

Every time I think about applying for an amex, non-acceptance and forex fees make me have second thoughts. Only the plat doesn't have forex charges, and it doesn't really fit well with what I need right now.

My experience has been that my Discover Card is accepted most places VISA and Mastercard honor and only had to use other credit card a couple of places. The Discover More has become my new favorite card because of the 5% cash back rewards and 0% APR for fifteen (15) months. Had an American Express Gold charge card years ago and closed and as I do like to carry a prepaid to use online and that doesn't charge loading or monthly maintenace fees the AMEX prepaid is nice. However, my experience is that most places do not accept the American Express card and so I'm really not interested in getting any of their cards.

Message 41 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

It's true, it does cost more for businesses to accept American Express. However, statistics show that American Express members spend more than individuals who don't. So in reality, it'd pay off for you to accept American Express because you will get more revenue. 

This is based on the idea that people who use AMEX will walk out of the store without buying anything if a place doesn't accept AMEX.  I look at the stickers on the door and on the register when I walk into a place and if they don't accept AMEX, I don't even bother trying to hand them one.  I feel like the vast majority of customers are the same.

Message 42 of 101
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@Platinum wrote:
I hope that some of those nutcases who are rejecting to accept AmEx have learned their lesson so far. When they tell me that they don't accept my card I simply tell them: "Well, then you don't get my business". If they are willing to lose customers over few cents then let it be. In the end they are losing much more then me or AmEx. I will go some place else where my AmEx is accepted. They should accept this transaction cost as the cost of doing business. I love seeing their faces when I give up on purchase just because the don't take my card.

Your "few cents" add up to a lot of money throughout a year.  It affects the bottom line which affects re-investment in the business, employee wages, and a host of other fixed and variable costs that consumers don't and never would consider.          

Ha ha ha...this is a such ridiculous statement: "it add up to a lot of money throughout a year". You mean that is the only cost that add up, nothing else ? Then factor that in.

Do you want to increase your sales, improve cash flow, increase average ticket size, improve productivity, lower costs (yes lower cost by eliminating the need to send bills and manage account receivables), better customer service, enhance your business image ???

Do you want all the above ??? 

If not, then live on the edge and calculate hourly what's your damn margin.

Message 43 of 101
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Can we get some hard numbers as to how much businesses lose out on because they don't accept AMEX? Since I got an AMEX a few months ago (well, a co-branded AMEX) and I now have a real AMEX, I am curious as to why people don't accept them. And how much money it truly would cost a businessowner to accept AMEX.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 44 of 101
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Plenty of people only carry one credit card.  Since VISA/MC are pretty much universally accepted anywhere that accepts cards, this type of person won't carry an AMEX, because it'd be stupid to have your one card be a card that isn't accepted everywhere.  Most everyone that has an AMEX has a backup, and they will just use the backup instead of not buying an item they want in order to make god-knows-what point about how they know better than the business owner about how to manage their finances.

+10000 - a very reasonable perspective, IMO.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 45 of 101
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Plenty of people only carry one credit card.  Since VISA/MC are pretty much universally accepted anywhere that accepts cards, this type of person won't carry an AMEX, because it'd be stupid to have your one card be a card that isn't accepted everywhere.  Most everyone that has an AMEX has a backup, and they will just use the backup instead of not buying an item they want in order to make god-knows-what point about how they know better than the business owner about how to manage their finances.

+100k

Does anyone just have American Express? I doubt such a person exists except maybe Kenny. Whenever a business doesn't accept one network, I simply use another. In fact I'm just happy to see small businesses take any card lol. The fact that some people out there who will storm out of a business because AmEx isn't accepted, doesn't surprised me at all. Some people are just petty and trivial. The only time I ever get annoyed is when they are cash only but I usually politely encourage card acceptance.

Message 46 of 101
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Lots of doctor's offices take only MC/Visa. As hard as it is to find a doctor who makes sense and who will (after a while) trust you enough over the phone to call in a prescription without making you stagger in, I'll use a non-AmEx card there if it means not having to go doctor-shopping.

Not to mention that none of my cards, including American Express, give extra rewards for usage at a doctor's office. 1% is 1%. Smiley Very Happy

Exactly. I'm more interested in the quality of the service or product than in which card is accepted.

The hair salon that I patronize is a small family owned business, and the woman who does my hair is one of the owners. She does a wonderful job, knows the nuances of my hair and I don't have to explain what I want, unless I'm looking for a change. We've developed a rapport and I'm happy with her. But they don't accept Amex. Big deal -- I use my MC instead. There's no way that I would have switched salons when I got my Amex; that wouldn't have made any sense. My loyalties lie with a business that provides a good service for a good price; the piece of plastic I use is merely a tool for tendering payment.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 47 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only credit card I carry is Amex.  In the rare instance it is not accepted I will usually choose cash or Visa debit.

Message 48 of 101
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+10000 - a very reasonable perspective, IMO.

It's not about not having back up card like Visa/ MasterCard. It about the principle. You don't accept my preferred card, you don't get my business, and I am not talking about those not taking any card at all. I am just talking about those accepting Visa/MasterCard/Discover but not American Express.

Message 49 of 101
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

I'll settle for the small bakery that takes AMEX but have sub-par king cakes. Hey you win some/you lose some!

You're gonna pass up on tastier cakes over American Express? I'm sure Mr. Chenault wishes there were more like you out there.

Message 50 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.