cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has the US not Moved to Chip & Pin?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why has the US not Moved to Chip & Pin?

@core wrote:

Yeah everyone uses iPhones, too.  Judas.

Is everyone here 20-something years old nowadays and running around wearing fitted T-shirts looking like girls?

I for one would prefer if I didn't have to see constant threads about EMV, metal cards "oohh", and pretty goddarn boxes in the mail.  That's just me.  When I joined this site was about maximizing your freaking credit score.  Now it seems it's about the color of the damn envelope you get in the mail.  What happened in this short time?

I didn't mean any offense. What I meant was that it's likely that others outside this forum are reluctant to do the chip thing as well. If the US will never fully adopt it (but there is a chance that we'll fully be for NFC payments), why not just skip directly to it? Then again, we'll probably need to adopt chip anyway since I've seen some pretty old swipers.

Message 51 of 71
core
Valued Contributor

Well sure, I agree, why not go directly to NFC?  OPTIONAL.  Fine.  I know, it's inter-network politics. I'm sick of it.  I've liked the way things were for the last 40 friggin goddarn years.  (I'm only that old).  I got by just fine.  The credit card companies got by just damn fine.  Now suddenly there's a problem.  Well maybe, but that intruder ain't coming from the Kohl's, I'll tell you that.

There needs to be a better solution than telling folks and the merchants what to do on Oct 1st 2015, is all I'm saying.  Because some of us are pissed.  The majority that are gonna be pissed, don't visit this forum.

Message 52 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

Is everyone here 20-something years old nowadays and running around wearing fitted T-shirts looking like girls?

I for one would prefer if I didn't have to see constant threads about EMV, metal cards "oohh", and pretty goddarn boxes in the mail.  That's just me.  When I joined this site was about maximizing your freaking credit score.  Now it seems it's about the color of the damn envelope you get in the mail.  What happened in this short time?

Probably a bit of a shock, but some members here are actually female (they are allowed to join with their father's/husband/brother's permission)

Anyway, while I agree about much of the content, that''s the nature of forums.  You joined nearly 8 years ago, which is WAY longer than most forums take to chang

Message 53 of 71
nyancat
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

Well, personally I'm in my very early 30s (EEP!) and yes, I like fitted T-shirts sometimes. Looking like a girl? Well, I identify as agender/non-binary myself... but hey, put that in whatever gender terms you want. It has nothing to do with cards.

Walmart did back down, yes - which is quite bizarre, though it isn't long-term. By October everyone has to be enforcing or face liability. Not an act of Congress - an act of the card networks. I don't really get why you're opposed to dramatically improving transaction security by making cloned card fraud virtually impossible. And for this to work, everyone has to get involved. Remember, the networks once mandated (via a liability shift) the transition to magnetic stripe as well. Remember the imprinters? One can still use them, but there are liability risks so most businesses wouldn't dare. Chip is the same thing.

It's more secure, more reliable (the bloody stripes fail so often for me) and more compatible. Why you have to be so opposed to people, and why gender even enters the debate, seems silly. But without a move to chip, if (in some universe) it did get delayed, we all pay the price in fraud.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 54 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover wanted to go to Chip and Pin, but ultimately didn't want to be the only company going that direction, because it does add a level of complexity to transactions.  My sense is that consumers will not like EMV and the experience of using the cards (not swiping, putting the cards into the terminal and waiting until the transaction concludes) will lead to more rapid expansion of Apple Pay and similar phone based payment systems.

Message 55 of 71
myjourney
Super Contributor

Let's stick to the OP's topic pls 

Thanks MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 56 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the big picture is being missed here.  EMV is being adopted in the U.S. because it allows credit card companies to shift the liability for card fraud (at least in the case of cloned cards) onto the merchants.  As it stands now, credit card companies are on the hook for all types of fraud.  This is an effort by companies to start reigning that in.  Merchants are dragging their feet in EMV adoption, even though the fraud liability shift happens in October.  EMV won't solve all fraud and much of the problem will shift online, but at least it will plug one hole.

Message 57 of 71
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Agree to disagree on all kinds of subjects but do so respectfully.

Getting personal crosses a line that will not be tolerated.

Just a gentle reminder.

Message 58 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously though, I've seen way more places that upgraded their equipment that have turned on NFC but not chip. How likely will it be that people simply get used to using NFC way before chip ever gets turned on and just not bother using the latter most of the time?

(And to stay on topic, could our delay simply have been because "something better will come along"?)

Message 59 of 71
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@core wrote:

Smiley LOL Wow. What a mess. "People like things I don't... It's bash everyone time."

Things change, adapt or get left behind. If you choose to get left behind, keep set in your ways and your complaints to yourself. 

☮ & ❤
Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.