cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has the US not Moved to Chip & Pin?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Why has the US not Moved to Chip & Pin?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 61 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Human beings most valuable trait, adaption! And probably, as in possibly. In this day and age anything is probable and possible. Sorry if anyone was offended, that was not the intent.
Message 62 of 71
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Are we in that much of a hurry that typing in a PIN number is a big deal?

No, not a "big" deal.  But it is a small deal, and the fact that it inconveniences me even in the slightest just to protect the fat cat big banks doesn't sit too well with me.  And since I don't exactly shop at Tiffany's, I'd rather not linger around the stores taking in the sights.  Usually anyway.  I wouldn't mind so much if you could just insert your card quickly and then put it away, and _then_ wait for all the communication and pin entry or whatever.  That would be much better, if it didn't need the chip contact the entire time.  It also wouldn't be so bad if you just had one lonely card in your jeans pocket.  In a 5% cash back for everything world that one-card plan doesn't work out so well though.

It just takes a bit longer and it seems a lot longer because it's awkward waiting for the darn thing so you can have your card back.  Besides, the faster I can get out of the store and back to my car, the sooner I can start sniffing the glue I just purchased.

Chip transactions take about two seconds longer to process than magnetic stripe transactions on a high-speed connection with modern equipment (there are more messages, and thus will take longer with complex, slow, or dial-up systems). The transaction time FEELS a bit longer than this because you are waiting with your card inserted the entire time instead of putting your card away while you wait for the slip to print.

PIN can EASILY save at least two seconds. A signature takes me at least 10 seconds, personally (grabbing the pen, getting a grip on the slip, handing the slip back to the cashier). Thus, the idea that chip and PIN causes slowdowns is bizarre.

And that's before you add in all the merchants (even in the US, tho worse in other countries) that demand ID for signature transactions, despite being against network rules. Then you're adding another 15-20 seconds (plus a good 30-45 second lecture on how it's against network rules, sometimes a request to talk to a manager in my case, and the time to file reports with Visa and Mastercard plus a complaint email to the business and on their Facebook and Twitter... in my case) that PIN eliminates.

I had a chip and PIN Visa back when I lived in Japan and I never found the transaction time to be -that- much longer. Although I don't have kids nor am I usually in any huge rush when I shop. 

The card I had allowed me to pick the PIN when I applied for it (not sure if this applies for all Japan-issued cards though). 

Most places I go to nowadays I don't even have to sign (Publix, Wal-Mart, Target if the transaction is under $50) and if I do, it's often on the electronic reader and not a printed slip. Either way, I think the transaction time is the same when you put in signing (I agree with you that the big difference is that you can put the swipe card away right away versus the card reader holding it for the PIN transaction). 

I believe you aren't supposed to ask for ID unless the card is not signed (in that case, you are supposed to check ID, and make the person sign it right there before accepting it. I worked in many retails store and I have never made anyone do that and refusing a card at Target would be an instant write-up even if it was blatantly stolen or fraud. Yes, it's obvious when they try buying 5+ Visa prepaid cards). I think that's for Visa/MC? I'm not sure of the rules with Discover and Amex. However I do not blame stores/merchants for asking for ID as if it is a stolen card they will be out the cost of the item, inventory and a chargeback fee. I'm not sure what the online rules are. At the online business I work for, we have asked for copies of the card (front and back) and a copy of government issued ID (if they don't provide it, we just cancel and refund the transaction as legit people will most likely comply or at least respond to complain). 

They won't be out anything if it's a stolen card, as long as they did their due diligence and verified signatures. Starting October 1, if it is a chip and PIN card and their terminal is chip and signature only they will be liable on MasterCard, American Express, and Discover (but not Visa). This, of course, means little as there are very few chip and PIN cards in the US.

A write-up for refusing a blatantly obviously stolen card? E.g. if the last four digits on the card doesn't match the receipt (as obvious as it gets that it is fake)? If that is really Target's attitude, shame on them.

I actually did get written up while working at Target. A couponer (read: coupon scammer) was trying to use the full value of the coupons and get money back on a transaction. There is no way for the register to give money back to the customer on a sale transaction (you get an error) and I tried to explain that to her. i was very polite but I had to tell her I couldn't give her $1 back, the lowest price for any sale transaction is $0. She got very angry at me, reached out to hit me (I dodged it) and she stomped off. Found a manager, complained about me (said I was rude and threatened her!!) and I was promptly written up. I was never questioned or anything, just a prompt write up. I quit soon after. 

I heard of one cashier trying to refuse a card and they got written up.

The work around is really when the register prompts for the last 4 of the card (on larger CC transactions, it will do this, amount varies by store, from $200), you can just purposely key in the wrong last 4 (regardless of what's printed on the card) to get the transaction declined. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 63 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

My second job I worked as a cashier. I was told that we were allowed to ask for ID and the card if we felt that it was a stolen card. I've been right everytime. Usually when I do that, they customer runs out of the store..
Message 64 of 71
core
Valued Contributor

Wow it's amazing that a couple posts pointing out that ya'll are enamored with nothing, has turned into a 7 page thread.  Toss in a few ingredients and you just cannibalize.  Always fun!

Longtimelurker- Good point; please accept my apologies.  I didn't know you were on that side and had earned permission to post.

Message 65 of 71
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Are we in that much of a hurry that typing in a PIN number is a big deal?

No, not a "big" deal.  But it is a small deal, and the fact that it inconveniences me even in the slightest just to protect the fat cat big banks doesn't sit too well with me.  And since I don't exactly shop at Tiffany's, I'd rather not linger around the stores taking in the sights.  Usually anyway.  I wouldn't mind so much if you could just insert your card quickly and then put it away, and _then_ wait for all the communication and pin entry or whatever.  That would be much better, if it didn't need the chip contact the entire time.  It also wouldn't be so bad if you just had one lonely card in your jeans pocket.  In a 5% cash back for everything world that one-card plan doesn't work out so well though.

It just takes a bit longer and it seems a lot longer because it's awkward waiting for the darn thing so you can have your card back.  Besides, the faster I can get out of the store and back to my car, the sooner I can start sniffing the glue I just purchased.

Chip transactions take about two seconds longer to process than magnetic stripe transactions on a high-speed connection with modern equipment (there are more messages, and thus will take longer with complex, slow, or dial-up systems). The transaction time FEELS a bit longer than this because you are waiting with your card inserted the entire time instead of putting your card away while you wait for the slip to print.

PIN can EASILY save at least two seconds. A signature takes me at least 10 seconds, personally (grabbing the pen, getting a grip on the slip, handing the slip back to the cashier). Thus, the idea that chip and PIN causes slowdowns is bizarre.

And that's before you add in all the merchants (even in the US, tho worse in other countries) that demand ID for signature transactions, despite being against network rules. Then you're adding another 15-20 seconds (plus a good 30-45 second lecture on how it's against network rules, sometimes a request to talk to a manager in my case, and the time to file reports with Visa and Mastercard plus a complaint email to the business and on their Facebook and Twitter... in my case) that PIN eliminates.

I had a chip and PIN Visa back when I lived in Japan and I never found the transaction time to be -that- much longer. Although I don't have kids nor am I usually in any huge rush when I shop. 

The card I had allowed me to pick the PIN when I applied for it (not sure if this applies for all Japan-issued cards though). 

Most places I go to nowadays I don't even have to sign (Publix, Wal-Mart, Target if the transaction is under $50) and if I do, it's often on the electronic reader and not a printed slip. Either way, I think the transaction time is the same when you put in signing (I agree with you that the big difference is that you can put the swipe card away right away versus the card reader holding it for the PIN transaction). 

I believe you aren't supposed to ask for ID unless the card is not signed (in that case, you are supposed to check ID, and make the person sign it right there before accepting it. I worked in many retails store and I have never made anyone do that and refusing a card at Target would be an instant write-up even if it was blatantly stolen or fraud. Yes, it's obvious when they try buying 5+ Visa prepaid cards). I think that's for Visa/MC? I'm not sure of the rules with Discover and Amex. However I do not blame stores/merchants for asking for ID as if it is a stolen card they will be out the cost of the item, inventory and a chargeback fee. I'm not sure what the online rules are. At the online business I work for, we have asked for copies of the card (front and back) and a copy of government issued ID (if they don't provide it, we just cancel and refund the transaction as legit people will most likely comply or at least respond to complain). 

They won't be out anything if it's a stolen card, as long as they did their due diligence and verified signatures. Starting October 1, if it is a chip and PIN card and their terminal is chip and signature only they will be liable on MasterCard, American Express, and Discover (but not Visa). This, of course, means little as there are very few chip and PIN cards in the US.

A write-up for refusing a blatantly obviously stolen card? E.g. if the last four digits on the card doesn't match the receipt (as obvious as it gets that it is fake)? If that is really Target's attitude, shame on them.

I actually did get written up while working at Target. A couponer (read: coupon scammer) was trying to use the full value of the coupons and get money back on a transaction. There is no way for the register to give money back to the customer on a sale transaction (you get an error) and I tried to explain that to her. i was very polite but I had to tell her I couldn't give her $1 back, the lowest price for any sale transaction is $0. She got very angry at me, reached out to hit me (I dodged it) and she stomped off. Found a manager, complained about me (said I was rude and threatened her!!) and I was promptly written up. I was never questioned or anything, just a prompt write up. I quit soon after. 

I heard of one cashier trying to refuse a card and they got written up.

The work around is really when the register prompts for the last 4 of the card (on larger CC transactions, it will do this, amount varies by store, from $200), you can just purposely key in the wrong last 4 (regardless of what's printed on the card) to get the transaction declined. 

Holy Batman! At that point I would have called the police and filed a police report against the customer for the assault. Then I would have taken that police report to the store manager...

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 66 of 71
dgates01
Valued Member

@nyancat wrote:

@dgates01 wrote:

I was prompted to use my first combo magnetic strip/chip card (Cap1 QS) for the first time just yesterday at Walmart. Tried to swipe first, then the lady said to use the chip instead. I had no idea how to do it. She showed me, and so now I do.

If Walmart's doing it, it won't be long for others to follow suit.

Really?!?!??! I keep seeing things like this but no confirmation. What was the error on screen? Did it actually prompt you to insert the chip? ("Card Must Be Inserted") - or did the terminal just fail to read the stripe (it happens, Walmart's terminals are pretty worn) and the cashier ask you to try the chip?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.

I swiped the card, then the lady said I needed to do the chip instead. I didn't know where to put it. She showed me, and said the card would stay in until it reads the card. I could see it say 'Capital One' on the screen, along with my name. Walmart had all brand new black combo terminals. Swipers on the side, chips inserts at the bottom.

Capital One Classic $750 / Fingerhut $1750 / Walmart $1000 / Discover $4500 / Capital One Quicksilver $3000 / Barclays $1500 / Amazon Visa $1000 / Amazon Store $900

EQ:682 (4/15) EX:706 (4/15)
Message 67 of 71
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

1) Consumer Protection (higher level of consumer protection when swiped only)

2) Consumer Convenience (US consumers carry/ use more CC's, inconvenient to remember/ process all PIN's)

3) Cost ( fraud is still cheaper than new equipment/ system)

Message 68 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Platinum wrote:

1) Consumer Protection (higher level of consumer protection when swiped only)

2) Consumer Convenience (US consumers carry/ use more CC's, inconvenient to remember/ process all PIN's)

3) Cost ( fraud is still cheaper than new equipment/ system)

#3 isn't really true any more. Well, I guess it's still cheaper to eat lost/stolen fraud than to put PIN on chip cards at least.

Message 69 of 71
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

My guess is that when #3 reason (Cost of Fraud) crosses the red line, we will finally move to Chip and PIN, if ever.

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.