cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I been given so much credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why have I been given so much credit?

You have not been given much credit actually.  Your limits on your cards are low in relation to your income.  You should easily hit 2-3x your income.

Message 21 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's odd that he would have an 800 credit score when there wouldn't have been any credit history to justify such as score.
Message 22 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was AU history, and 9 months of perfect personal history from my Amex PRG. 

Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh. Well that makes sense. Yup that would put you up there around 800.

With those factors, they'd see you as one of their very favorite clients.
Message 24 of 46
degs138
Established Contributor

Does FICO weigh pre 18th birthday credit? I don't think it does. For high scores you need a mix of credit. Mortgage, car note, student loan ect.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 25 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@degs138 wrote:
Does FICO weigh pre 18th birthday credit? I don't think it does. For high scores you need a mix of credit. Mortgage, car note, student loan ect.

Plenty of people are at 800+ with just credit cards.

Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@degs138 wrote:

Plenty of people are at 800+ with just credit cards.

Correct.  You don't need mortgages, loans, etc to reach 800.

Message 27 of 46
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Now that I had quickly accumulated over $80k in credit, I began to spend a litte more than I used to and started getting content with having a balance. 

In July 2015, I had reached a point where my business got slow and money was not coming in as fast. My balances started going up. By December, I had close to $20k on my cards. I had not planned for Christmas shopping either. Now I was starting to get scared. My total balances in January 2016 were over $25k. I just paid them all off in full and vowed never to do that again. 

I sure hope you're saving most of that income.  You're in a great situation -- don't eff it up by living the high life.  I hope you're still living with your parents, putting away a big chunk into savings and investments, and not paying exhorbitant rent for your own apartment.   $200K doesn't go that far in NYC, specially when you're paying $4K/month for a 1 bedroom.

Re your question:  the computer algorithms saw you as having a long history, good payment patterns, good income.  The cc companies see you run up a high balance yet still able to pay it down.  All in all, that makes you a good prospective client so they're willing to give you credit. 

Message 28 of 46
degs138
Established Contributor

I'll never understand FICO scoring.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 29 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@degs138 wrote:
I'll never understand FICO scoring.

You'll never will. Nobody will. Join the club 

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.