Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is AF for Amex EDP higher than BCP?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Why is AF for Amex EDP higher than BCP?

Just curious, does anyone know why the AF for the Amex EDP ($95) is higher than the AF for the BCP ($75), when the BCP has more generous rewards (6% cashback on grocery stores for BCP, vs. 3% on grocery stores for EDP)?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Why is AF for Amex EDP higher than BCP?

@galahad15 wrote:

Just curious, does anyone know why the AF for the Amex EDP ($95) is higher than the AF for the BCP ($75), when the BCP has more generous rewards (6% cashback on grocery stores for BCP, vs. 3% on grocery stores for EDP)?

If a person hits 30 transactions (50% bonus) and redeems MRs for 1.5 cpp after fees and taxes, EDP becomes a 2.25%/4.5%/6.75% card.

It's not for everyone, but it can be very powerful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Never conflate X and %.  The EDP is 3x/2x/1x before swipe bonus, not 3%/2%/1%.  Value of an MR can vary depending on redemption.  You need to determine the value you can get per MR to determine cash back % equivalence.  Don't rely on valuations from others.  $0.015/MR is assumed above but the redemptions I can use only yield $0.006 to $0.008 and that's why I don't bother with MR.

You'd have to ask AmEx regarding the why but does it really matter?  Select whatever card it is that is best suited to you -- not just for this comparison but for any card.

Message 3 of 7
redpat
Senior Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Be careful assuming that.  Don't conflate X and %.  Value of an MR can vary depending on redemption.  Additionally, as stated above, the Everday cards have swipe bonuses.

It's their best card, IMO other than plat for perks.  Use it for everyday all the way from daily coffee, groceries and other purchases and MR points accumulate very quickly and getting 30 swipes is no problem while using my other cards, especially if you have an AU on it.

takeshi, most know how to use MR points before getting the card, we're a pretty well educated group......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Be careful assuming that.  Don't conflate X and %.  Value of an MR can vary depending on redemption.  Additionally, as stated above, the Everday cards have swipe bonuses.

It's their best card, IMO other than plat for perks.  Use it for everyday all the way from daily coffee, groceries and other purchases and MR points accumulate very quickly and getting 30 swipes is no problem while using my other cards, especially if you have an AU on it.

takeshi, most know how to use MR points before getting the card, we're a pretty well educated group......

I kind of disagree with that, I can't count the number of times I have seen post of "I have this card now what is the best use for MR points"

Message 5 of 7
redpat
Senior Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

I kind of disagree with that, I can't count the number of times I have seen post of "I have this card now what is the best use for MR points"

Transfers to Airline partners is the best way to get value.  They run bonuses at time to time for transferring MR points.  

I was just busting takshi.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love amex MR personally. I agree with Takeshi that you need to determine your own valuations and that they vary person to person. That being said, I love taking business class to Tokyo with 75k-85k MR round trip direct and Seoul for 95k Smiley Happy

Economy foobvious reasons is even cheaper...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.