Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is AMEX so much harder?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is AMEX so much harder?

I'm curious.  Over the last couple of years, and while rebuilding my credit, I've tried a couple of times to get an American Express.  Nothing special, just...you know...an AMEX.  I guess I thought it'd make me feel all grown up or something. 

Well, I was always denied.  My credit has never been a strong 700+, but I've been established a couple of years now, no collections, no lates, 40% util, and a good balance (visas, MC's, house, truck, etc) over time, and am wondering if I'd finally qualify for the coveted AMEX. 

At this point, it's curiosity.  I don't really need another card, and would like to see my existing accounts age for a bit anyway, but every now and then, the forbidden fruit of AMEX beckons, like a siren...I couldn't have it, so now I want it. 

My question: What's so great about AMEX?  And if the answer is 'nothing, really' like I think it will be, then my second question: is it just me, or are they harder to qualify for?

Thanks for all the great info...I'm sharing all of my lessons learned with younger folks in my unit, and it's thanks to all the good info I find here that I sleep better knowing I'm sending them down the path to credit righteousness!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is AMEX so much harder?

so far just the "wow" factor and the excellent customer service.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion is just a card with the best customer service....  I think that Amex helps all the way they really do but don't miss a payment and they will hunt you down !!!!! LOL
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

dm is right the "wow" factor is always nice ..  but seriously I love the points and customer service is incredible.  they are good all the way around

i qualified for my blue,clear and optima plat and was approved.  my hubby has been declined a few times and after reading this website.  i applied for the delta skymile for him.  He recently converted it to the blue cash.  he was denied for the blue before.

try for the delta and then convert.

good luck
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, y'all, I consider myself enlightened.  I think I'll wait until my accounts age a bit, and maybe get some of the utilization down, but then, AMEX better watch it...what was once denied me will be mine!
Message 5 of 10
jsmith12345
Regular Contributor

Biggest CL's out of the gate and most friendly CLI's.  Just make sure you're not "creative" on your income for your application. 
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

OBXFrank wrote:
Thanks, y'all, I consider myself enlightened.  I think I'll wait until my accounts age a bit, and maybe get some of the utilization down, but then, AMEX better watch it...what was once denied me will be mine!

Paying down your CCs will do wonders for your scores. IMO, Amex hates high util as much or more than any other CCC.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

jsmith12345 wrote:
Biggest CL's out of the gate and most friendly CLI's.  Just make sure you're not "creative" on your income for your application. 

Excellent advice. They tell you right in the cardmember agreement about fin. review and not making min payment for an extended amount of time. INMO they like you to charge a small/med. amount, pay it off month by month till PIF after about 4 to 6 mos then repeat the process.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused wrote:

Paying down your CCs will do wonders for your scores. IMO, Amex hates high util as much or more than any other CCC.

Amex Blue evidently doesn't hate my DH's high util  as DH receives
          constant

increases when he runs up his CL with them.  DH also receives 5.99% life
          of the balance
          credit card checks to use as he pleases.  I have never received a CL that
          I didn't ask for first, nor am I eligible for those checks DH receives.  We
          both have Amex Blue, but separate accounts.

SandyK
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OBXFrank,

What AMEX cards are you applying for? If you are trying for some of their better cards like Blue or Clear and getting denied you may want to try for their easier approvals which are the Delta Gold and the Hilton Honors. They may not be the highest CL but whatever gets ya through the door.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.