cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
miltown81
New Contributor

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

I too am looking to get into the AMEX world. What AMEX card is considered the "easiest" to get?

Starting Score: 711
Current Score: 819
Goal Score: 820

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking for a Charge Card then start off with the Zync. If you want to be able to carry a balance go with the Blue Cash or Delta Skymiles

Message 12 of 87
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to this community and I've been noticing that American Express' cards are the most sought after on this board.  Can anyone explain why?  Outside of this community the American Express cards seem to only be status symbols.  When I applied for my Zync, that's all it was to me.  A reward, symbol, for the credit I'd been working to build.  (Honestly, now that I have the card, the prestige is gone... it's pretty and sparkly but ultimately I have to pay it off just like cards from other companies.)

But here it seems like there is something more to the cards.  Why is it so important to have one's foot in the door with American Express?  Why should one be more mindful of the AE bill than others?  What am I not seeing in terms of the power or admirability of the card?  Can someone explain this a little more thoroughly?

I have to say that for someone like myself who works in the Tech industry having an Amex for those additional protections (extended warranty etc) is definately very valuable and a primary reason why I carry Amex plastic.   Great customer support, backdating and the MR rewards are other great features;

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 87
miltown81
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are looking for a Charge Card then start off with the Zync. If you want to be able to carry a balance go with the Blue Cash or Delta Skymiles

I was pre-selected for the AMEX Gold  Card. Do you think it's best to apply for that one? In my experience, pre-selected offers havn't been any more successful than ones that were not "pre-selected".

Message 14 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@miltown81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was pre-selected for the AMEX Gold  Card. Do you think it's best to apply for that one? In my experience, pre-selected offers havn't been any more successful than ones that were not "pre-selected".

If you want to pay the hefty annual fee for the Gold and plan to utilize the extra benefits that don't come with Zync then go for it but I would start off with Zync if it was me.

Message 15 of 87
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to this community and I've been noticing that American Express' cards are the most sought after on this board.  Can anyone explain why?  Outside of this community the American Express cards seem to only be status symbols.  When I applied for my Zync, that's all it was to me.  A reward, symbol, for the credit I'd been working to build.  (Honestly, now that I have the card, the prestige is gone... it's pretty and sparkly but ultimately I have to pay it off just like cards from other companies.)

But here it seems like there is something more to the cards.  Why is it so important to have one's foot in the door with American Express?  Why should one be more mindful of the AE bill than others?  What am I not seeing in terms of the power or admirability of the card?  Can someone explain this a little more thoroughly?

In addition to what everyone else said about customer service and warranties and perks, I feel like they're more of a financial partner than just a credit card company. After having dealt with companies like Capital One and HSBC, there's a real difference in the way you're treated when you are interacting with AMEX.

I have noticed that depending on the card you have and the limit, that your experience with even the same company might be vastly different. I noticed this with a good store Best Buy card vs. the Reward Zone MC from HSBC. The interaction with HSBC regarding the RZMC was akin to having a root canal, while the store card interaction with essentially the same company felt like a spa treatment with aromatherapy, and the nature of my call was the same in both cases.

No matter which AMEX card I am calling AMEX about, I feel that I get the same high level of customer service. To me, that's one big reason why AMEX probably seems to have an aura of prestige. 

Message 16 of 87
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Zync and green.. There credit cards are much harder to get

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Message 17 of 87
miltown81
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@miltown81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to pay the hefty annual fee for the Gold and plan to utilize the extra benefits that don't come with Zync then go for it but I would start off with Zync if it was me.

So I decided to go tor the Zync since I've seen a lot of people on here say that they were approved and with your comments I pulled the trigger. Approved! Smiley Happy I guess I was just looking for 1 person to tip me over the edge. Thanks!

Message 18 of 87
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

My personal take is that having an AMEX might also help with other creditors/lenders.

AMEX has long been/is still considered the APEX of credit cards so I assume that lenders feel more comfortable seeing someone with an AMEX.

Maybe it's all in my head Smiley Happy

I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with that...any creditor is going to be concerned with what's on your report not because you have an AMEX card. Go to any credit union or bank and they will say having an AMEX won't make a difference on whether you get approved. It will come down to what's on your report, credit score and income. 

On the other hand I do agree about AMEX having great customer service and their benefits are great if utilized.

I was right, it's all in my head Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 87
CS800
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Backdating.   AMEX is the only company that backdates new cards open dates to your initial card open date, which can add significant positive age to your AAoA.

This in turn will bump your FICO® score up.

No other company does this.

++++ 1

Message 20 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.